Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish

Go down 
+4
Joanimaroni
SheSurfs
Eric
riceme
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  Empty
PostSubject: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 3:26 pm

This is awful... I really hope this was not a bombing, but it sure sounds like it might have been. Click the link at the bottom for photos and video.

Quote :
BOSTON—Two explosions rocked the finish of the Boston Marathon on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry away the injured while those still running were rerouted away from the site.

Competitors and race volunteers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners, the Associated Press reported.

About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line, the AP reported. Another explosion could be heard a few seconds later.

Though much is still unknown about what happened, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is responding to the events, according to officials. Authorities were also trying to determine if there were any suspicious packages in nearby areas, the officials said.

National Grid is the primary supplier of natural gas in the Boston area. A spokeswoman, Deborah Drew, said: "We have no reason to believe that it is gas-related at all. It doesn't appear to be a National Grid issue at all."

Copley Square Mall closed all its stores and no one could access the Mall at Prudential Center, which is at the finish line.

Robert Rapoport, a radiologist from Delmar, N.Y., running in the marathon, crossed the finish line a minute or two before the explosion. He said he was getting a bottle of water from a volunteer about 50 yards away when the first explosion hit behind him.

"We heard a boom, a loud explosion," he said. He turned to see a column of smoke about the size of a garbage can, rising up as high as five stories.

The cause of the explosion wasn't immediately clear to those at the scene, he said. "It's kind of disorganized around here."

"There are people who are really, really bloody," said Laura McLean, a runner from Toronto, who was in the medical tent being treated for dehydration when she was pulled out to make room for victims of the explosions, the AP reported. "They were pulling them into the medical tent."

Runners who had not finished the race were diverted straight down Commonwealth Avenue and into a family-meeting area, according to an emergency plan that had been in place, the AP reported.

Phyllis Perkins, a runner from Naperville, Ill., was with her running partner Christine Bell, 46, also of Naperville.

They were less than a half mile from finish line when they heard blast. "This was my first [marathon] and at first I thought it was part of the celebration," said Ms. Perkins.

Then they saw police running. "that's when I knew something was very wrong," said Ms. Bell. "They stopped us and said you are not going any farther," Ms. Bell said. The pair never finished the race.

A White House official said: "The president has been notified of the incident. His administration is in contact with state and local authorities. He directed his administration to provide whatever assistance is necessary in the investigation and response."

At the end of a conference call with gun-control supporters, Vice President Joe Biden talked about the bombings at the Boston Marathon:

"As I'm speaking here they just turned on the television in my office and apparently there has been a bombing. I don't know any of the details of what caused it, who did it, I don't think it exists yet. But our prayers are with those people in Boston who are suffering injury. I don't know how many of them are—I'm looking at the television now."

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323346304578424950102614148.html
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Sometimes, a second blast happens to do the maximum carnage.

The first one gets people to gather around, offering assistance, then a second, even larger blast happens.

Sounds like a poor attempt at terrorism. I say "poor" because you would think that the purpose is to inflict maximum damage... fatalities... but nobody was killed in the accounts I read.

Of course, to the people that were wounded, it is a tragedy.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:20 pm

Eric wrote:
Sometimes, a second blast happens to do the maximum carnage.

The first one gets people to gather around, offering assistance, then a second, even larger blast happens.

Sounds like a poor attempt at terrorism. I say "poor" because you would think that the purpose is to inflict maximum damage... fatalities... but nobody was killed in the accounts I read.

Of course, to the people that were wounded, it is a tragedy.

Yeah, the second blast is to get the first responders usually. There's now been a third explosion at the library. There were two or three (conflicting accounts) confirmed fatalities before the third explosion...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:25 pm

I guess, if I was in Boston right now, I'd make a strategic withdrawal.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:26 pm

I see that Yahoo is reporting two people dead.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:30 pm

Here is a timeline and a lot more information... apparently there were more devices that were dismantled.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/world/reports-of-explosion-near-finish-line-of-boston-marathon/story-fnd12peo-1226621194152
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:31 pm

From listening to the news at the above link, no one was injured in the explosion at the library.

Reports are that the JFK Library was not related to the marathon and that it was a mechanical fire that caused it.

One of those that died was an 8 year old girl.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:55 pm

video of one explosion.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/2013/04/15/gGfFH99UuwAcCjlSg5jE8M/story.html
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 4:57 pm

Athletes, women, children.....

nothing like going into the history books as an utter coward.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 5:04 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Athletes, women, children.....

nothing like going into the history books as an utter coward.

Yes, I just watched a live feed of a press conference at the Brigham hospital and he said that the ages of the injured ranged from 3 - 62... Heartbreaking.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Very sad...feelings reminiscent of 9/11.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 5:39 pm

I was very impressed with the President's comments regarding the terrorist attack in Boston.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 5:48 pm

Unbelievable this is us.....these people look just like my friends

Shock, sadness, anger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 6:49 pm

I hope the murdering terrorists burn in hell.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 8:10 pm

The library incident was unrelated to the marathon explosions. From all reports that I have heard and read it was a mechanical fire at the library.

One of those killed was an 8 year old girl.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 8:21 pm

So far 140 injured, 10 amputations, and 3 killed. CNN reported authorities are looking for a dark skinned man with an accent. Stated he was seen wearing dark sweats and carried a backpack.... the man was trying to get into a restricted area minutes before the bombing.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm

https://imgur.com/a/IuEDd
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 pm

http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2013-04-15/boston-marathon-explosion/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 7:03 am

I'm just angry as hell right now. A little boy is dead and dozens have lost arms or legs.

I want them to find who did this. And no bullshit politically correct crap. Find them and bring them to justice. No matter if they are Americans or not or what color, religion or nationality they are.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 7:47 am

It makes you want to hunt the dirty bastards down and skin them alive..... before a gradual acid bath!

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 8:51 am

Conspiracy theorists are already saying it was a "false flag" operation by US operatives who want more funds to bolster security spending.

Give it a rest.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:02 am

Eric wrote:
Conspiracy theorists are already saying it was a "false flag" operation by US operatives who want more funds to bolster security spending.

Give it a rest.

Eric, I cannot do anything but laugh at and feel sorry for those conspiracy theorists that believe everything bad that happens to the US is a false flag.

I, like you, wish they would just shut the hell up and give it a rest. At least it is a form of amusement.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2013 9:31 am

How sad, in the face of such tragedy we have idiots that want to blame the US.

You know, they do have the freedom to leave.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2013 7:20 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
It makes you want to hunt the dirty bastards down and skin them alive..... before a gradual acid bath!

There is an intermediate step, Joani. Skin them alive, then stake them out on a slow-growing bed of bamboo spikes. After the spikes do their work, pop'em in the acid bath for good measure.

God. I don't know 'bout anyone else, but I have been literally sick about this. Not fearful, as the terrorists want, but just so angry and helpless that I have felt sick for the past couple of days. And yes, Joani, I saw the IMGUR photos yesterday. Awful, just awful.

I had to stop looking at the pictures. My gut feeling was I needed to be in there helping, and the helplessness came from knowing I couldn't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  EmptyThu Apr 18, 2013 7:24 am

It is sickening.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish    Explosions Reported at Boston Marathon Finish  Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next