Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL

Go down 
+5
Melissa
Surfnrg
Ghost Rider
Jake92
SheSurfs
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL Empty
PostSubject: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 12:20 pm

What do you think?

http://www2.wkrg.com/news/2013/mar/13/vile-and-vulgar-must-go-orange-beach-ar-5790550/

Appeal and draw trash to the area? I just don't get it.

BOYCOTT: The Hangout, The Gulf, Surf Style, Alvin's Island....

Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 pm

I agree they should be kept away from minors, but they also have the right to sell them. Does the right to sell something stop at the right of someone else getting offended, or does someones right not to be offended stop at the door to the store it's sold at. What about music with the vulgarity???
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:06 pm

If they ban those, wouldn't that be a violation of the shop owners First Amendment rights?
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:58 pm

Where does their first ammendment right stop?? Where does sex on TV cross the line of being obscenity??
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:14 pm

The city is going forward two ways. The first is that it is a trademark infringement. although I have not looked this up to see whether or not it will hold water.

The second if Zislin pushes some incorrect right to sell/say whatever he wants, that does not protect him from the consequences. For example, the city can deny them a license to do business when it comes up for renewal.

Businesses also have to be very, very careful when it comes to libel. If you want to nitpick the law, every single female in OB and GS has had their reputation disparaged.

BTW, the reference doesn't bother me as much as "Suicide Watch, Orange Beach" Pretty sick.

Both Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are in the process of drafting ordinances related to this matter though I have no idea from what direction they will be addressing it.

Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:19 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
The city is going forward two ways. The first is that it is a trademark infringement. although I have not looked this up to see whether or not it will hold water.

The second if Zislin pushes some incorrect right to sell/say whatever he wants, that does not protect him from the consequences. For example, the city can deny them a license to do business when it comes up for renewal.

Businesses also have to be very, very careful when it comes to libel. If you want to nitpick the law, every single female in OB and GS has had their reputation disparaged.

BTW, the reference doesn't bother me as much as "Suicide Watch, Orange Beach" Pretty sick.

Both Gulf Shores and Orange Beach are in the process of drafting ordinances related to this matter though I have no idea from what direction they will be addressing it.

Couldn't that be interrupted as extortion/blackmail?
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:28 pm

BINGO!!!!

When I was young and stupid, I had a t-shirt that said Member of Tijuana Pussy Posse on it.. MOM ripped it off of me and threw it away.. LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't like vulgar clothing and I don't think people should be wearing it in public. I would argue that the shops have a right to sell it but that there can be restrictions on what is allowed to be worn in public. That said, I don't know where you legally draw the line between between the individual right to expression and the public's right to not to have to see vulgar phrases/pictures in public.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I know where to draw the line....

with libel and defamation of character against the reputation of every female in Orange Beach and Gulf Shores whom Zislin( the owner of the shops) has called a slut.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:12 pm

I don't think there's a case for libel and/or defamation of character. But a ban on vulgar clothing wouldn't bother me too much. The problem and question is.......who decides what is vulgar?
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:38 pm

nekochan wrote:
I don't think there's a case for libel and/or defamation of character. But a ban on vulgar clothing wouldn't bother me too much. The problem and question is.......who decides what is vulgar?

At least one attorney and several local women who brought this to my attention completely disagree. I hope they push it and win. The women of these communities do not have to stand by and let some arrogant out-of-towner attempt to create a spring break culture in which their wives, daughters and friends are treated so misogynistically and made to feel unsafe in their own community.

It is strange to me that people fail to see that someone's rights cease at the point in which they start violating the rights of others. One cannot say/write anything, anywhere to anyone and expect umbrella protection under the First Amendment. The courts agree.

Last edited by SheSurfs on Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 pm

Well, some attorneys will try any case and will try to go for deep pockets.

But "Party with Sluts: Orange Beach, AL"....isn't calling every female in Orange Beach, AL a slut.

I HATE the phrase and I especially hate the term "slut" and no one should be wearing such a t-shirt in my opinion. But I don't think it comes anywhere close to defamation or libel.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 pm

nekochan wrote:

But "Party with Sluts: Orange Beach, AL"....isn't calling every female in Orange Beach, AL a slut.

Yes, it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Ok, we will just have to disagree.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 4:21 pm

LOL...go ahead and roll over and take the abuse. I don't think these local women are going to tolerate this sexual defamation. The daughters of OB and GS residents are no longer able to allow their daughters to go to the public beaches because of a growing spring break culture that makes them unsafe. Now that culture is to the point (the t-shirts) that females in the area are being promoted as sexual bait, residents can't even go to their own beaches without concern for their well-being .
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Thank you mayor it is not who WE are. I will be at the meeting to speak out. We have kids on our beaches and i for one am not going to stand by and watch ob become another sleaze pit like my home break pensacola beach. Pbeach is so vile contemptuous, unsafe at night , sleazy i never go there anymore,

As a resident of orange beach no one needs to make money off this type of offensive merchandise.

I can promise you our police can sit outside sizlins bars and put him out of business legally.

Further i think the. Residents of my city will pressure these businesses to stop selling filth, its not like they need the money.

Sizlin will need a permit to open another wing of his new bar The Gulf, do u think he will get an exemption from ob if he doesn't stop selling these items?
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 4:57 pm

That "suicide watch" tee shirt is really sick, SheSurfs. Who would ever find that amusing?

Perhaps a national letter-writing/blogging campaign enumerating the acts of stupidity on the part of the owner would be beneficial. He deserves it. Bad PR that negatively affects his bottom line would hurt him more than a suit, I would think. Perhaps a nice, little permitted booth in front of the offending stores that offers information to parents about the quality of the merchandise inside as well as the owner's direct support of such merchandise would be helpful.

Then again, there is the line of thought that bad PR is better than no PR at all, but that may not apply in the case of supposedly family-oriented tourist shops.

As much as I don't care for Fox news, this may be a story they would pick up on some level.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 4:59 pm

You could also offer a short biography of Sizlin, and entitle it "The Man Behind the Filth."
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 5:05 pm

We will stop this i promise PB and SHESURFS there is no way ob is going to
Stand by and let this happen. I know my neighbors and the people here too well.

This ordinance will pass ALVINS ISLAND AND SURF can appeal. Then all AL and national media will get involved. Hahahaha......

Bet they don't sell them at Innerlight wanna bet???
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 5:40 pm

The place to hurt them is to keep the condos empty so nobody is there to buy the garbage...... That is how to make the big money condo owners fight it for you......
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 5:43 pm

I think we could trademark our own city's name? I will ask tony at the gym monday i am really upset and so is he, our little girls here are not sluts.

And this right on the heels of hunter sorensons saketboard death last week in ob 14 year old and his service is today. It makes me sick....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 5:54 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
LOL...go ahead and roll over and take the abuse. I don't think these local women are going to tolerate this sexual defamation. The daughters of OB and GS residents are no longer able to allow their daughters to go to the public beaches because of a growing spring break culture that makes them unsafe. Now that culture is to the point (the t-shirts) that females in the area are being promoted as sexual bait, residents can't even go to their own beaches without concern for their well-being .

I don't really disagree with you...except that I don't think anyone has a case for defamation or libel. I wish you luck in getting a reasonable obscenity ordinance passed. I do sympathize and agree with you that these vulgar phrases and images do not belong on a family beach.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 5:59 pm

I say pass the law and deal with any fallout later. Men throughout history have done the right thing without regard to consequences,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Jake92 wrote:
BINGO!!!!

When I was young and stupid, I had a t-shirt that said Member of Tijuana Pussy Posse on it.. MOM ripped it off of me and threw it away.. LOL

My older brother came home from "Tj" with a similar shirt (all the boys did). He thought he was real badass and strutted into the house with his chest all puffed out. My mom ripped it off him, whipped his ass, gave him a most direct talking to about disrespecting women (and related it to my sisters and I for extra punch), then saved the damn t-shirt to have Dad do the same when he got home from work. Dad really went bananas and actually made my brother cry... he shamed him with the whole, "that's not how we raised you, son" and "you've really disappointed me" and talking about my sisters and and me. Then Mom made my brother burn it. She always had a flair for the dramatic... not to mention a hot temper! Oh, and of course, Mom called all the other boys' moms to make sure they knew what was now in their wardrobes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 6:03 pm

I think a reasonable anti-obscenity law would withstand court challenges. I don't think that I would go the route of trying to keep the shops from selling these things. Maybe a law to require them to cover them or put them in a separate room, but I would not try to ban them outright from being sold.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL   Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL Empty

Back to top Go down

Party With Sluts : Orange Beach, AL
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next