Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Article: Don't leave me a voicemail unless you're dying

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Article: Don't leave me a voicemail unless you're dying Empty
PostSubject: Article: Don't leave me a voicemail unless you're dying   Article: Don't leave me a voicemail unless you're dying EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 11:03 am

At Gawker: http://gawker.com/5989952/modern-mobile-etiquette-dont-leave-me-a-voicemail-unless-youre-dying

Partial article quote below. I never really thought much about this, but I agree with the article. I don't really like voicemails either. My phone tells me if I missed a call, and I will read texts, but I usually call people back... even if they left a voicemail.

Quote :
There are two kinds of phone users in the world: people who leave voicemails for other people and people who ignore voicemails from other people.

On Monday, the New York Times ran an article by Nick Bilton laying out ground rules for digital etiquette in the world of unlimited texting, smartphones, and Twitter. He argued that leaving a voicemail was "impolite" because it wastes the receiver's time it takes to retrieve information that could be conveyed via text. He also humble-bragged about straight-up ignoring a dozen voicemails from his father and revealed that he and his mother now "communicate mostly through Twitter," which is not only like something out of a dystopian novel, but also an insane use of Twitter — like sipping soda from a bottle cap.

People ripped into Bilton in the comments for these points and others (he argued that it was rude to send a thank-you text because it takes too much time for the recipient to read it, which is one heartbeat away from saying it is rude to ask someone "How are you?" because it takes too much time for them to tell you). But on the voicemail subject I have to agree.

I hate receiving voicemails.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

Article: Don't leave me a voicemail unless you're dying
Page 1 of 1