Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop

Go down 
+5
Jake92
riceme
mediawatcher
Eric
TEOTWAWKI
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 4:11 pm

The Vietnamese people that arrived in the US were not criminals.....they were middle and upper class.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 4:22 pm

Some were Farmers, and most suffered a lot of discrimination for coming here and "Taking our jobs" Not all did well. Some went to jail, others, their children turned to Gangs and crime. . I helped bury my friends brother who was murdered in Quincy Florina for just being a "Gook". The words of the red neck ass hole that killed him... The same hate still prevails today.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 4:30 pm

It has not been that long ago that Italians slipped into the country with out passports. Illegals as we say today. Hence the term "WOPs" Ditto for the Chinese and Irish that came to build the rail roads.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:24 pm

The kids who are coming into our country from South of the Border are not criminals either, FYI. The only reason they could be considered criminals is that they may or may not have the proper paperwork to enter. It was the same with the Vietnamese. Mexicans put our roof on our house after Ivan and did a great job on it. No leaks to this date. I'm not on a "tirade" about your comments Chrissy, (or a tyrant either) but I do believe you are making assumptions about other folks learning abilities that you might not ought to make, all things considered.

We need immigration reform that would allow easier citizenship for people coming to this country to work. Too bad Congress isn't interested in it. Even Alabama figured out that there weren't enough Americans willing to work in their fields. It will be nice when Congress figures that stuff out too.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:33 pm

Many of the adult Mexicans entering the US have criminal records in Mexico. The children from Central America are not criminals.

According to CNN....."Almost one in five of those caught trying to enter the state illegally from Mexico has a criminal record."
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:38 pm

Many of the adult Mexicans entering the US also do NOT have criminal records.

That's why you can't call all of them criminals if you claim the Vietnamese that came in years ago weren't criminals.

FYI, Pensacola did not open their arms freely to the Vietnamese fishermen when they first came over here. The Vietnamese used long nets in our bay that nearly destroyed the mullet population in this area. Pensacolians were extremely angry at them. Whoever came to this country last gets the brunt of criticism. That's how it has always been.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm

The LEGAL procedures are in place for people to enter the country and become LEGAL citizens. If they refuse to follow the LEGAL procedures, they do not deserve to stay in the country.. My niece was in college with a foreign student that had lower tuition, lower housing, lower book expenses, and many other perks.. The day they graduated, the foreign student got on a plane and flew back home with her Princeton diploma that was paid for 100% by the taxpayers... She vowed to never return to this country due to the poor legal system that lets criminals go with a slap on the hand with approval of the political party in office...
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:43 pm

The Vietnamese fisherman were given old military PTBoats and yes they used long nets and left them in the bay. They were never ticketed or required to follow the guidlines. That created a problem.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:59 pm

If one in five Mexican immigrants are criminals then 80 percent of Mexican immigrants aren't criminals.
Anyway there is no need to make such a big deal about Mexican immigration anymore. A lot of them are going back home. Here's a report from the Pew Center:

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/23/net-migration-from-mexico-falls-to-zero-and-perhaps-less/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 8:06 pm

Eddard wrote:
If one in five Mexican immigrants are criminals then 80 percent of Mexican immigrants aren't criminals.
Anyway there is no need to make such a big deal about Mexican immigration anymore. A lot of them are going back home. Here's a report from the Pew Center:

http://www.pewhispanic.org/2012/04/23/net-migration-from-mexico-falls-to-zero-and-perhaps-less/

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 12:22 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
The Vietnamese fisherman were given old military PTBoats and yes they used long nets and left them in the bay. They were never ticketed or required to follow the guidlines. That created a problem.

Not True in the Pensacola area.  The Vietnamese were mostly shimpers.    No one leaves a net.  Even if they did for some reason, others would be quick to salvage the net for the cork line and the lead line.....I doubt if anyone ever used a PT boat for fishing  in this area.  "..World War II. Wooden-hulled, 80 feet long with a 20-foot, 8-inch beam, the Elco PT boats had three 12-cylinder Packard gasoline engines generating a total of 4,500 horsepower for a designed speed of 41 knots. ......
A 12 cylinder 1,500 hp gasoline engine would be highly impractical.  Maybe they gave them some other type of boat but I never saw one.  

One of their problems  that they did not know the "Rules on the Bay"When it came to fishing/Shrimping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 7:03 am

hallmarkgrad wrote:
Joanimaroni wrote:

One of their problems  that they did not know the "Rules on the Bay"When it came to fishing/Shrimping.

That's the problem with illegals and construction. Except it cost lives.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 7:12 am

They quickly learned and became a major player in bay shrimping until the industry collapsed.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:39 am

The long nets used were shrimp nets stretched out in a long line....they fished in the bay when shrimp boats were banned from the bay. The shrimp nets caught everything. The boats may not have been " PT boats" but they were older military boats. Nets were left in the bay and some unattended. When other fisherman began sabotaging nets the vietamese fishermen attended the nets.

We regularly fished for mullet from the dock in east bay...we saw the boats and the long nets. Mullet, for us vanished.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:44 am

You confused me with "Shrimp nets" vrs "Gill nets"...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:47 am

Some nets... gill nets?... were designed to be stretched out in a line and left unattended for a short time. I think fish were supposed to swim into them and get caught by their gills.

I had a fisherman friend that used to use one, but they were eventually banned in most, if not all places.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:49 am

Correct..
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 am

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 155

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 Gillnet
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 10:52 am

From what I understand the nets being used were a smaller mesh than the typical gill net.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 11:17 am

Yes Joanimaroni, you are right. They destroyed our mullet population for several years even after the practice stopped. Those nets depleted our bay of anything worth fishing for. A lot of us here in Pensacola resented it. I used to love mullet fishing but back then it was a waste of time.

I'm trying to remember, I think that mullet were so scarce they limited the length of gill nets for sports fishermen so the only decent way to fish was with a cast net. Meanwhile the commercial fishing  Vietnamese were harvesting our whole bay. I know I was pretty mad. We'd go out all night long with our nets and not get a thing worth eating.

It was in the papers all the time. The Vietnamese had to know their nets were longer than the law allowed.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 3:25 pm

They also undersold the local shrimpers all over the golf coast from Tampa down to Mexico and put a LOT of tax paying American citizens out of business.....

The term WOP was written on the foreheads of immigrants from ALL countries meaning With Out Papers.. It became a slang word for Italian immigrants entering Ellis Island in NY, back in the teens and 20's.. They didn't have papers, but they had trades and SPONSORS that cared for them and ensured they were here LEGALLY and were NOT a burden on the taxpaying citizens.. (NO give away programs or free anything). They WORKED hard for everything they had.. Many turned to crime, but the vast majority were law abiding people..

Last edited by Jake92 on Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 3:30 pm

I do remember they used smaller mesh and fished deeper and pretty much caught all the fingerlings and any future harvest. That's not something the government would let regular American fishermen get away with without stiff fines. I am sure they were told to stop by some one.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Good thread. I am learning a lot that I did not know...
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 10:39 am

I never knew what WOP meant. I just knew it was slang for Italians. That's really interesting. I believe the Vietnamese made their own nets back then and some of them still do. It was probably because they couldn't buy a net made in the USA with that size webbing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 6:11 pm

Call it what you want. But I would take a million Vietnamese from 50 years ago to a few thousand of these people crossing the southern border now.

Even 50 years ago times were different, people were different. All over people were different. So its kind of hard to go back and compare those people from Vietnam to M16 or even the welfare people coming in drives for freebies. And they do, look at the stats. And 50 years ago we didn't have all these freebies.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next