Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop

Go down 
+5
Jake92
riceme
mediawatcher
Eric
TEOTWAWKI
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop Empty
PostSubject: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 12:08 am

http://www.sfgate.com/jobs/slideshow/Deadliest-jobs-in-the-U-S-95053/photo-6962820.php

10. Construction laborers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 17.7 per 100,000 full-time workers.

9. Electrical power line installers and repairers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 21.5 per 100,000 full-time workers.

8. Farmers, ranchers and other agricultural managers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 21.8 per 100,000 full-time workers.

7. Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 22 per 100,000 full-time workers.

6. Mining machine operators are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 26.9 per 100,000 full-time workers.

5. Refuse and recycle material collectors are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 33 per 100,000 full-time workers.

4. Roofers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 38.7 per 100,000 full-time workers.

3. Aircraft pilots and flight engineers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 50.6 per 100,000 full-time workers.

2. Fishers and related fishing workers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 75 per 100,000 full-time workers.

1. Logging workers are involved in fatal workplace incidents at a rate of 91.3 per 100,000 full-time workers.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 6:37 am

I was surprised that aircraft pilots and airline workers were on the list.

That doesn't bode too well for passengers, I guess.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 7:21 am

Eric wrote:

Having watched a special on the construction of One World Trade Center and seeing those men and women walking around at that height...made knees go to jello watching some of those maneuvers...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 3:35 pm

I don't think those are the most dangerous jobs, just the deadliest. Partly because maybe the people who do those jobs are not always the brightest bulbs on the tree.

I mean certainly handling a ebola specimen has to be very dangerous.

And yes, infiltrating a group of drugged up drug lords to bust them has to be dangerous.

or how about infiltrating a group of isis islamist to blow them up, that's certainly got to be dangerous.

I could go on all day really. Hopefully you get my point. if not oh well.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 4:19 pm

By definition the most dangerous jobs are the most deadly and injurious, and I 100% disagree that it is because the people who perform those jobs are stupid. I have either had very dangerous jobs or worked in very dangerous workplaces my entire life, so I speak from a place of experience. Certainly there are stupid people everywhere, but by and large my colleagues are and have always been intelligent and brave men and women.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 4:24 pm

riceme wrote:
By definition the most dangerous jobs are the most deadly and injurious, and I 100% disagree that it is because the people who perform those jobs are stupid.

That's ok, you can disagree.

I stand on my opinion that being deadly and being dangerous are two different things. If you want to measure it by that outcome its certainly your right.

I happen to know half of the damn people who work in construction almost are Hispanic and can hardly even speak English so I doubt they even know to understand all the safety manuals. Yes, I read the LBS report before responding.

Jumping from airplanes is very dangerous, but by percentage its probably not the most deadliest sport/hobby.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 4:39 pm

and by that standard, yall are saying it is less dangerous to handle a ebola specimen than it is to work construction. I have a problem with that and don't buy it. sorry.

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:03 pm

Thanks all the same but I don't need your permission to disagree with you.

Jumping out of an airplane with nothing but a chainsaw and an 80-lb pack into the middle of a wildfire hundreds of miles from the nearest road is universes different than jumping out of a plane for shits and giggles. Men get killed every year doing it and four of my cousins have risked their lives for over 20 years each doing just that. Two of them have watched their best friends die on jumps.

When people start dying from handling ebola in a lab it might become more dangerous than the occupations that people currently die working in now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:13 pm

riceme wrote:
Thanks all the same but I don't need your permission to disagree with you.

Jumping out of an airplane with nothing but a chainsaw and an 80-lb pack into the middle of a wildfire hundreds of miles from the nearest road is universes different than jumping out of a plane for shits and giggles. Men get killed every year doing it and four of my cousins have risked their lives for over 20 years each doing just that. Two of them have watched their best friends die on jumps.

When people start dying from handling ebola in a lab it might become more dangerous than the occupations that people currently die working in now.

perhaps people are not dying as much in these EXTREMLY dangerous jobs such as handling ebola because they are EXTREMLY well trained to handle DANGEROUS things.

and perhaps those people who are dying in construction jobs need to take a lesson from that to prevent these un necessary deaths. Or perhaps they need to hire more qualified people for these oh so dangerous jobs your referring to these construction workers. But that would cost more money and probably require a visa or not.

jumping from planes is more dangerous than playing football, but more people die from football

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:19 pm

btw riceme, I think jumping from planes is more dangerous than any other hobby or football. I'm not sure you understood my analogy. I used that as a analogy because if we go by the death rate, then football is more dangerous than jumping from planes.

That is all

happy friday
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:21 pm

SEX is more dangerous than WAR

Save yourself, go to war, abstain.................. LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:36 pm

heres a true little story.

My entire neighborhood is tore up from those brave CONSTRUCTION workers right now.

The city is forcing our town to city water and sewage.

When I got up to leave to work this morning at 8:30 am, at the end of my driveway was a 4ft pile of dirt. I had to call one of those brave construction workers over to let me out. 3 came from different directions. Not a GD one of them could speak English. Then they tried to move a teeny piece of dirt and wave me out as I backed up. I finally had to keep saying no, no , no , no I cant drive my car over that, a 3ft pile of moist dirt with about a 1 ft clearance till I could of drove into a 6 ft hole in the middle of the road.

So no, these bastards need more training and perhaps better quality people doing that type of work would help. but more dangerous than handling deadly specimens. Na....

but its ok to let the poor dumb asses get killed... cheap labor is all that matters.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:51 pm

Did YOU call the immigratioon service, city inspectors, or police to report the "Illegal Aliens", or did you figure you were too busy and somebody else will call them??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 5:59 pm

Jake92 wrote:
Did YOU call the immigratioon service, city inspectors, or police to report the "Illegal Aliens", or did you figure you were too busy and somebody else will call them??

LoL

Jake, they know it already. They don't care. 95% of the people working out here on this construction are non English speaking.

matter of a fact when I still lived in pcola most of the ones I saw working the cities construction was also non English speaking.

That must be the GIG to get.

Plus Jake, that's a dangerous job, havnt you heard. We need to let these people do this job. Us dumb white Americans could never do that job. I bet 10 times as many people would die if they hired white people.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 6:42 pm

I bet a lot of illegals would be willing to work on ebola specimens for a LOT less money than the average lab worker, but that doesn't make it the smart or legal thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 8:32 pm

I disagree completely that a lot of people doing those jobs are stupid. FYI, there are a plenty of white American men and women who do construction work. They make good money to support their families. Most of the jobs listed have pretty fair incomes attached. Even ranchers and farmers can make a good living for their families. There's absolutely nothing stupid about taking a job to support your wife and kids, even if it's not the safest job out there.

It's extremely offensive to hear someone say that non-white collar workers are ignorant.
It shows you don't have a clue what you're talking about.  More than that, it shows an arrogance that, thank God,  most normal thinking  people  don't have.

I'm pretty sure you aren't handling any ebola viruses either. If you were it wouldn't be your smarts protecting you. It would be the big plastic suit. Maybe one made by some worker in China that you'd think was ignorant for taking a job to keep their kids alive.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 9:01 pm

eddard, ignorant and stupid are not the same thing ...

and I really don't care what yall think. Most of these damn construction workers are dumb asses. They are not trained appropriately and most likely because they just don't comprehend it.

Like I said before. I can guarantee you there is a direct coloration between safely performing a task and training comprehension.

So the job itself isn't that dangerous its the quality of the worker they are hiring. That's my damn story and Im sticking to it. if you don't like it. TUFF!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 9:40 pm

I agree there are a LOT of uneducated people building the house you live in, the buildings you work in, the stores you shop in, the roads you drive on, the cars you drive, and many other things, but if it wasn't for them, you would be living in a cave, spending you day looking for food, and walking or riding a horse.... I guess you are calling the people working in your hospital laundry and janitors that clean your office floor stupid also.. Are they smarter than the average unemployed people living on welfare??
The ones that LET them work without reporting them to the proper authorities are the ones that are causing the problem......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Jake92 wrote:
I agree there are a LOT of uneducated people building the house you live in, the buildings you work in, the stores you shop in, the roads you drive on, the cars you drive, and many other things, but if it wasn't for them, you would be living in a cave, spending you day looking for food, and walking or riding a horse....  I guess you are calling the people working in your hospital laundry and janitors that clean your office floor stupid also..  Are they smarter than the average unemployed people living on welfare??
The ones that LET them work without reporting them to the proper authorities are the ones that are  causing the problem......

Nope. I think having people do all kinds of jobs is great.

My point here is that the job isn't the most dangerous, its the way they fill the positions for the job that makes it deadly.

If you cant comprehend safety training odds are you are probably going to be prone to accidents. Like the ahole that almost ran me over the other day. Driving up and down a suburban neighborhood like its the indy 500 BACKWARDS.

Ive seen it all over everywhere I have lived. There is a high population of Hispanics that can not speak English working these jobs. There are about 95 Hispanics and 5 white men working this entire neighborhood out here. And Ive seen it other places.

and if you read the LBS data about construction workers deaths you will see that Hispanics have the highest rate of deaths.

from the LBS> Fatal work injuries among Hispanic or Latino workers were higher in 2013, rising 7 percent. The 797 Hispanic or Latino worker deaths in 2013 constituted the highest total since 2008. Fatal work injuries were lower among all other major racial/ethnic groups. 

and they were probably higher in 2013 because only Hispanics are being given jobs.

Here is OSHA talking about it. There is a 'reason" they pullout Hispanics.
https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html

That's my point.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 12:27 am

Eric wrote:

Without knowing for certain, I would guess that a lot of the fatalities are tanker pilots. We just had another one in California a few days ago. And helicopter pilots are lumped in there too. Also, lots of bush pilots get killed each year... many of them solo or with only a couple passengers, not that it diminishes the significance of their deaths.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 am

It could be that Hispanics take the shitty, dangerous jobs that arrogant white people refuse to do.

I think it is wrong to assume that immigrants are stupid. Eddard was right.

I worked in construction for years and never read any frigging manual.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 7:49 am

One of the biggest stigmas I have had to face is that because I am a blue collar worker I am some how of lesser intelligence. I have worked both sides of the field. I have worked in the rarefied world of counter intelligence where your analytical skills were your main asset. I have also worked as a Heavy Equipment Mechanic and rebuilt heavy duty transmissions, Engines,etc, with literally 1000s of moving parts. So is blue collar work just a skill that requires no intelligence or is it also a job that requires cognitive reasoning, memory, visual processing, and logic? I guess it depends on who you ask.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 7:56 am

Eric wrote:
It could be that Hispanics take the shitty, dangerous jobs that arrogant white people refuse to do.

I think it is wrong to assume that immigrants are stupid.  Eddard was right.

I worked in construction for years and never read any frigging manual.

well there ya go.

Top 10 most frequently cited OSHA standards violated in FY2013

The following were the top 10 most frequently cited standards by Federal OSHA in fiscal year 2013 (October 1, 2012 through September 30, 2013):
1.Fall protection, construction (29 CFR 1926.501) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
2.Hazard communication standard, general industry (29 CFR 1910.1200) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
3.Scaffolding, general requirements, construction (29 CFR 1926.451) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
4.Respiratory protection, general industry (29 CFR 1910.134) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
5.Electrical, wiring methods, components and equipment, general industry (29 CFR 1910.305) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
6.Powered industrial trucks, general industry (29 CFR 1910.178) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
7.Ladders, construction (29 CFR 1926.1053) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
8.Control of hazardous energy (lockout/tagout), general industry (29 CFR 1910.147) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
9.Electrical systems design, general requirements, general industry (29 CFR 1910.303) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
10.Machinery and Machine Guarding, general requirements (29 CFR 1910.212) [related OSHA Safety and Health Topics page]
https://www.osha.gov/oshstats/commonstats.html

You can bet your ass that people handling ebola or any other deadly disease have read a shitload of manuals and have had a shit load of safety training.

The job isn't the most dangerous, the profession has a lax in training and also a quality of people.

Im not saying that ALL people in the profession are dumb and I NEVER SAID THAT. I said MOST. There obviously has to be someone smart enough to design the shit and lead the dumbasses to the pit.

ever the less you people can get your panties in a wad I don't effing care. Anyone who thinks that doing construction work is more dangerous than handling a effing ebola specimen is out of their GD minds. If you cant understand the of how training improves a group of people chances over another then I cant help you.

and remember children, by your standards, sex is more dangerous than war. Promote war over sex, youll live longer. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 8:11 am

my last try to explain my position.

I recognize that more people are dying in construction. That is the result. But the CAUSE is not necessarily because the job is more dangerous. It is because of lack of training and quality of employees hired on a large scale.

You fail to acknowledge the lack of training and the issues with hiring people who can not comprehend our safety measures as a contribution the result. Looking at a end result like this with a closed mind never improves any given situation.

Why is construction the most deadliest? Its not because it is the most dangerous. That's a cop out. Its because of what I have stated here. Im sorry no one gets it. I wouldn't want any of you as a primary investigator to a incident. You'd simply just say, oh but this is just the most dangerous job, shit happens. Razz

Have a good day................
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 8:53 am

Jake92 wrote:
I agree there are a LOT of uneducated people building the house you live in, the buildings you work in, the stores you shop in, the roads you drive on, the cars you drive, and many other things, but if it wasn't for them, you would be living in a cave, spending you day looking for food, and walking or riding a horse....  I guess you are calling the people working in your hospital laundry and janitors that clean your office floor stupid also..  Are they smarter than the average unemployed people living on welfare??
The ones that LET them work without reporting them to the proper authorities are the ones that are  causing the problem......

Agree..... Have we deteriorated to the point that we are critical of those that work?...If so...very sad... Instead of limiting those that are willing to work how about making an environment for them to advance and move up rather than rewarding those that sit on their asses and collect checks when there is nothing to stop them...except the government programs that reward their lazy behavior and choices...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop   Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop Empty

Back to top Go down

Most dangerous jobs in USA...nope not cop
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next