Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know Empty
PostSubject: Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know   Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 7:11 pm

There is a scam out there right now that calls phones and hangs up after one ring. You call back and get charged a fee for calling that number.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/02/missed-call-scam/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29

Quote :
...the number it’s dialing from is, generally, one from outside of the US — but one that has the same country code (+1, which we share with Canada and almost all of the Caribbean nations, from the Bahamas to Jamaica), and thus looks a whole lot like a US number. On US premium numbers, the FTC requires the caller to explicitly agree to charges. On international numbers, the FTC has no jurisdiction.

...They’ll charge you a few bucks to establish the call, then a few bucks for each minute they keep you on hold/on the line.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know   Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know EmptySun Feb 02, 2014 7:13 pm

How To Avoid Gettin’ Scammed:

If you don’t recognize a number, don’t call’em back.

If you really want to call back, Google the number first. Check the area code to make sure it’s not long-distance. Check the full number, too; in many cases, you’ll find a page full of results saying “Do not call! It’s a scam!”

If you’re an Android fan, try to get on a device running Android 4.4 (KitKat). It has a built-in number identification system, and it works quite well for at least identifying legitimate, non-scammy phone numbers as safe to call.

Check your phone bill for sketchy charges. Your carrier knows aaaall about scams like this, and will generally reverse the charge if you complain.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know   Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 10:56 am

I don't answer or call back unknown numbers. I have done this for I do not remember how long. I allow it to go to voice mail and if it is really important they will leave a message. I have been getting an unknown call from Destin for months now. Since it is unknown and they never every leave a message, I will never return their call.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know   Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know EmptyMon Feb 03, 2014 12:30 pm

try typing the # into your search box and it will probably say it is a telemarketer... That was suppopsed to be stopped by the do not call list.. It worked for a few years but is getting worse and worse.. I get 3-4 calls a week about renewing a magazine.. The ??publisher?? gave my name and number out to every subscription service that carries that magazine.. One caller told me there are over 500 subscription services and I'll probably get called by all of them..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know   Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't return phone calls to numbers you do not know
Page 1 of 1