Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police

Go down 
+2
mediawatcher
Eric
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police Empty
PostSubject: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 7:17 am

In a news conference Sunday morning, Belmar, the county police chief, said the Ferguson officer had an encounter with two “individuals” about noon Saturday and that Brown pushed the officer back into his car and “assaulted” him in the vehicle.

Belmar said one shot was fired by the officer’s gun inside the car during the struggle, hitting no one, and that the officer then fired multiple times as Brown ran away. Brown fell dead in the street. Belmar said the crime scene covered a distance of just 35 feet.

Belmar did not describe the reason for the initial contact, nor indicate whether police think the shooting was justified. He also did not provide any details about the person who had been with Brown.

He said the shots that hit Brown were “more than just a couple but I don’t think it was many more than that.” He said an autopsy was pending.

The chief said the investigation’s results will be forwarded to St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCulloch, whose office would decide whether criminal charges were justified.

Belmar noted that as Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson arrived at the scene Saturday, he called Belmar to ask for a county investigation.

Jackson sat beside Belmar but did not speak in a short news conference at 10 a.m. at the community’s firehouse.

Belmar emphasized that the outside investigation and consultation with the FBI — which has jurisdiction over allegations of civil rights violations by police — are “standard protocols.”

The officer who fired, whose name has not been disclosed, is now on administrative leave. Belmar said that officer has been on the Ferguson force for six years and appears to have “no other issues” in his past.

Belmar and Jackson abruptly left the news conference as reporters continued to call out questions.

Ferguson police and demonstration leaders were forced late Sunday morning to tamp down a rumor that a youth who had been with Brown in the police encounter was found dead.

It apparently began on social media and was still circulating Sunday afternoon despite a promise from Baruti, a demonstration organizer, that it was not true.

About a block from the police station, at Wellspring Church, Pastor F. Willis Johnson Jr. urged Sunday morning that frustration and anger be channeled into constructive acts, such as praying and volunteering in schools.

“We can’t act unjust in the name of justice. We can’t act uncivil, and then cry for civility,” Johnson preached.

Brown, a 2014 Normandy High School graduate, was scheduled to begin classes today at Vatterott College.
http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/violence-breaks-out-near-site-of-vigil-for-teen-killed/article_f9d627dc-e3c8-5bde-b2ab-7f0a3d36a083.html

What do you think? Justified in killing this 18 yo or not?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 7:46 am

If you assault a police officer, odds are pretty good you're headed for the grave.

That having been said, shooting people in their backs as they're fleeing is bad form, and in neighborhoods where tension between law enforcement and the citizenry is and has been historically high, it's probably gonna lead to some anger and unrest.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 am

I would prefer to see if more evidence comes to bear.

There is obviously more to the story than is available to the public. For instance, what caused the alleged confrontation in the first place? Was it a form of police harassment, or was it two young men screwing with a cop?

If the story is true and the cop shot the man as he was running away, it ain't hardly a case of self defense on the cop's part.

Without video, it is going to be a "he said, she said" thing, and all other things being equal, the LEOs usually come out on top.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 7:56 am

salinsky wrote:
If you assault a police officer, odds are pretty good you're headed for the grave.

That having been said, shooting people in their backs as they're fleeing is bad form, and in neighborhoods where tension between law enforcement and the citizenry is and has been historically high, it's probably gonna lead to some anger and unrest.

The fleeing suspect laws changed in most states a long time ago in regards to use of deadly force...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:00 am

Eric wrote:
I would prefer to see if more evidence comes to bear.  

There is obviously more to the story than is available to the public.  For instance, what caused the alleged confrontation in the first place?  Was it a form of police harassment, or was it two young men screwing with a cop?

If the story is true and the cop shot the man as he was running away, it ain't hardly a case of self defense on the cop's part.

Without video, it is going to be a "he said, she said" thing, and all other things being equal, the LEOs usually come out on top.

Not true...the evidence will most definitely show/prove as to whether the individual was shot at close range or from a distance...Ballistics don't lie... To claim self defense when the 'threat' was no longer present can and will be proven...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:03 am

mediawatcher wrote:

Not true...the evidence will most definitely show/prove as to whether the individual was shot at close range or from a distance...Ballistics don't lie... To claim self defense when the 'threat' was no longer present can and will be proven...

Are the police gonna investigate themselves again?

I think I've seen this episode before.

Spoiler alert ....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:08 am

salinsky wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:

Are the police gonna investigate themselves again?

I think I've seen this episode before.

Spoiler alert ....

Believe they've mentioned there will be state/federal as well as private investigations into this matter....What hasn't been mentioned is the account of the officer involved might be nice to hear the facts before immediately determining that there's a cover-up...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:22 am

MW, I see where you were going with the evidence statement.  I got defensive with a post but deleted it because it wasn't relevant to your post.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:29 am

Eric wrote:
MW, I see where you were going with the evidence statement.  I got defensive with a post but deleted it because it wasn't relevant to your post.

Can't remember any instances where a defense has been self-defense and or imminent danger present and then the medical examiner concludes that the shots were into the back and from a distance... That would be a huge problem...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 am

Seems some people look for any excuse to loot, rob, burn, and shoot at police helicopters. All while supposedly "protesting violence". Amazing.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:47 am

nochain wrote:
Seems some people look for any excuse to loot, rob, burn, and shoot at police helicopters. All while supposedly "protesting violence". Amazing.

cheers 
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:56 am

I don't understand the need to gang up...... breaking windows and running from store to store looting and burning businesses not involved.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:58 am

nochain wrote:

You're not really surprised are you?.... Is there anyone that didn't see this happening?.....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 8:59 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
I don't understand the need to gang up...... breaking windows and running from store to store looting and burning businesses not involved.

FREE STUFF!!!!!!....They need those TV's to watch the injustice unfold in HD....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 6:09 pm

How about this?

563.046. Law Enforcement Officer’s Use of Force in Making an Arrest

1. A law enforcement officer need not retreat or desist from efforts to effect the arrest, or from efforts to prevent the escape from custody, of a person he reasonably believes to have committed an offense because of resistance or threatened resistance of the arrestee. In addition to the use of physical force authorized under other sections of this chapter, he is, subject to the provisions of subsections 2 and 3, justified in the use of such physical force as he reasonably believes is immediately necessary to effect the arrest or to prevent the escape from custody.

2. The use of any physical force in making an arrest is not justified under this section unless the arrest is lawful or the law enforcement officer reasonably believes the arrest is lawful.

3. A law enforcement officer in effecting an arrest or in preventing an escape from custody is justified in using deadly force only

(1) When such is authorized under other secitons of this chapter; or

(2) When her reasonably believes that such use of deadly force is immediately necessary to effect the arrest and also reasonably believes that the person to be arrested

(a) Has committed or attempted to commit a felony; or

(b) Is attempting to escape by use of a deadly weapon; or

(c) May otherwise endanger life or inflict serious physical injury unless arrested without delay.

4. The defendant shall have the burden of injecting the issue of justification under this section
http://www.capecounty.us/ProsecutingAttorney/useofforcestatute.aspx

I Believe assault and battery on a police officer is a felony.

And btw, I cant believe those people doing all that crap. Perhaps there IS a problem in the area and its NOT harassment.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 6:24 pm

I heard an hour or so ago that someone stole some cigars from a cigar store and the deputy suspected they were involved.

Sounds like a good excuse for an execution, doesn't it?

Okay, that wasn't fair to the officer... the story isn't complete... and it may never be.

The cigar store was burned to the ground.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 6:37 pm

The fleeing felon law seems unconstitutional....execution without a trial is just wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyMon Aug 11, 2014 6:49 pm

Eric wrote:
I heard an hour or so ago that someone stole some cigars from a cigar store and the deputy suspected they were involved.

Okay, that wasn't fair to the officer... the story isn't complete... and it may never be.

I don't think that would be fair as a execution. 'Im not even sure I agree with this situation.

I do know that according to what is printed, the guy pushed the cop back into his car and beat him..

I think what ever is decided we need to be very careful because if we neuter the law enforcement too much, crooks win. and yes, I want bad cops punished. But unlike citizens, they are out there approaching and arresting very bad people. How much do we want to make them scared to do their job? Because they already are. And they might just do a half assed job, and then we have a bigger problem. Because no matter how much some say they hate police. I wouldn't want to live in this country without them.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 5:06 am

Eric wrote:

Not to worry....Sharpton...Jackson...and others should be there by now with efforts to HELP the situation!...Just as they've done so many other times....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 5:08 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
The fleeing felon law seems unconstitutional....execution without a trial is just wrong.

Unless a fleeing felon is fleeing towards your house...right?....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 6:13 pm

Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyTue Aug 12, 2014 8:32 pm

I just want to say.

Those people over there are bat shit crazy.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptyThu Aug 14, 2014 5:13 pm

Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police ED5Ct2V
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 7:54 am

Video reportedly showing 290-lb. "gentle giant" Michael Brown performing a strong armed robbery minutes before he was shot.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police EmptySat Aug 16, 2014 8:04 am

Eric wrote:
Video reportedly showing 290-lb. "gentle giant" Michael Brown performing a strong armed robbery minutes before he was shot.

Yes, and now the parents are claiming the police are committing character assassination.

I think its a good possibility that the police have gotten a raw deal in this case.

Police ask suspect to stop, suspect doesn't and attacks police officer trying to take his gun, police shoots fleeing felon.

Look, there is obviously a bad crime gangsta scenario going on in that town. Its not a good idea to hand cuff the police. The police must be afraid right now to arrest anyone there because they are going all over the place looting, breaking crap etc. If we can see pics of all that, then surely the police are aware is going on. The police need to go in there and stop it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police   Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police Empty

Back to top Go down

Violence breaks out near site of vigil for teen killed by police
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next