Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** Empty
PostSubject: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:28 am

We're trying to track down from where in a certain area in the local mountains (and off whose property) someone stole a whole bunch of these old t-posts, and dating them will help us narrow it down by quite a bit. My SWAG was that they're from around the '50s... what do you all say?

***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** Old_t-post_OWR

Many thanks, all!

Last edited by riceme on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:31 am

They look interesting, but I have no idea from whence they came, nor their date of manufacture.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 5:43 pm

Eric wrote:
They look interesting, but I have no idea from whence they came, nor their date of manufacture.

Darn. Having mapped a bunch of land, you were the #1 hombre that I was hoping would have something better than my SWAG. Also counting on HG & Bob to chime in... hopefully. Hell, T-Rex ain't much older than me, but he actually might have some knowledge here as well.

And no sir, I do not consider you an "oldtimer"... you're still a young 'un! cheers

This issue is getting evermore hotter and hotter... Property owners are taking up arms... Literally. Can anyone think of a way to date these old t-posts if someone here doesn't know?

Many thanks, friends!
pig
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:15 pm

I remember seeing them when I was a kid in the 50's.....
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Jake92 wrote:
I remember seeing them when I was a kid in the 50's.....

Right on. That gets us to < or =1950s. I will pass that along for now... Still looking for feedback.

Thanks, Jake!!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:29 pm

You're welcome Ricey.. They were used for fence posts in some places because they would last years longer than wood..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:39 pm

Jake92 wrote:
You're welcome Ricey.. They were used for fence posts in some places because they would last years longer than wood..

Ya, thanks... I am more familiar w/t-posts than I would care to be. lol. I built fences with my first boyfriend and his little brother for a couple summers in my "spare" time back when I was around 18 - 21. The soil around here is harder than case hardened steel and full of rocks and boulders, so it was "super fun."
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:46 pm

I grew up in NY which had lots of rocks.. Digging a hole to plant a tree took hours.. Wells had to be at least 100-200' deep if you wanted a sprinkler system..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:22 pm

My back yard here in Hoover has boulders and solid rock formations almost as big as a semi tractor-trailer. We called a chain link fence company and a guy came out with a measuring wheel and gave us a price. We inked a contract.

In the meantime, I rented a bobcat and moved some one-ton boulders out of the way.

The guys who came to put the fence in were flabbergasted. These guys couldn't put the fence exactly where we wanted it, but it was close enough. They said that they had put in a lot of fences, but NEVER had as much trouble as they did in our yard.

They had a few choice words for the guy that did the measuring and pricing.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 2:41 am

LOL! Having worked in offices very closely with guys who work in the field, I have a feeling I know what a few of those "choice words" were!

***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** Giggle
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 1:12 pm

riceme wrote:
We're trying to track down from where in a certain area in the local mountains (and off whose property) someone stole a whole bunch of these old t-posts, and dating them will help us narrow it down by quite a bit. My SWAG was that they're from around the '50s... what do you all say?

***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** Old_t-post_OWR

Many thanks, all!

Cool. If that post was two feet wide and twenty feet tall it would be spectacular art piece. Beautiful serpentine design.
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:11 pm

I agree, yellerfeller... I actually find it to be beautiful.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as I have often been reminded. I also think that wind turbines, their gearboxes, bedplates and other components are beautiful.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:20 pm

I love driving thru western TX and seeing all of the wind mills up on top of the mountains north of I-10.. I think they are a thing of beauty....
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:12 am

Of course I don't have too drive far to see amazing wind turbines or windfarms, and I certainly agree that they're beautiful... I think they are elegant and glorious, but not everyone agrees with us, Jake /sniffle/.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***   ***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?*** Empty

Back to top Go down

***Hey oldtimers... Around what year t-post is this?***
Page 1 of 1