Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Where is it safe to travel?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Where is it safe to travel? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Where is it safe to travel?   Where is it safe to travel? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 7:52 pm

I have traveled most of the world, unfortunately many of the volatile. There are countries I would have preferred not to travel but went anyway. I am not a fan of being in places where rebel or tribal groups are agitated or where gang and mafia type groups are running amok, and I make it a point not to travel to countries on vacation where i think there are significant human rights violations going on.

Traveling anywhere, whether for dinner out or across the world is about 80% common sense, 19% listening to the news/consulates and 1% good or bad luck. When abroad and in a bit of an unstable country, I think it's always wise to know where the closest US consulate is..and actually have your driver or guide drive you past it when you leave the airport or port. It's also smart to have the phone number with you at all times and always make sure someone knows your travel plans. That said, no one has probably ever been more of a rolling stone than me having moved more than 25 times city to city (...I got bored counting), and nothing beats travel for life experience and pure living.
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Where is it safe to travel?   Where is it safe to travel? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:01 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
I have traveled most of the world, unfortunately many of the volatile. There are countries I would have preferred not to travel but went anyway. I am not a fan of being in places where rebel or tribal groups are agitated or where gang and mafia type groups are running amok, and I make it a point not to travel to countries on vacation where i think there are significant human rights violations going on.

Traveling anywhere, whether for dinner out or across the world is about 80% common sense, 19% listening to the news/consulates and 1% good or bad luck. When abroad and in a bit of an unstable country, I think it's always wise to know where the closest US consulate is..and actually have your driver or guide drive you past it when you leave the airport or port. It's also smart to have the phone number with you at all times and always make sure someone knows your travel plans. That said, no one has probably ever been more of a rolling stone than me having moved more than 25 times city to city (...I got bored counting), and nothing beats travel for life experience and pure living.

Agreed. We were not able to travel when I was a kid. The "travel" meant corporate transfers for my Dad with us usually being left behind and I always felt somewhat left...behind.

Travel is wonderful and I valued every moment we were able to do so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Where is it safe to travel?   Where is it safe to travel? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Good advice, Shesurfs.

Bali is wonderful. I wanted to go back a 2nd time, but after the terrorists bombings there, hubby told me it was too dangerous. Sad While much of Indonesia is Muslim, most Balinese are Hindu. The Balinese people are beautiful and friendly. The food in Bali is just incredible.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Where is it safe to travel?   Where is it safe to travel? - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 9:07 pm

I agree, SheSurf's advice is spot-on. Whenever my sisters or I have traveled abroad we've always consulted my brother (the one who is now retired USMC) to inquire regarding any potential military issues and/or safety concerns he had for us.

It was never quite as applicable to me as it was to my sisters, as two of them traveled to a lot of pretty dangerous places. One of them lived off the Zambezi River for a year and a half and then lived in Brazil for 9-months. Both of them have been attacked by native men during their respective travels. Sadly one instance could have been easily prevented... my sister who is a genius but has no common sense. I am by no means blaming the victim, but you've just got to be extra careful and mindful when traveling to dangerous places with different cultural values.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where is it safe to travel?   Where is it safe to travel? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Where is it safe to travel?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2