Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?

Go down 
+4
SheSurfs
Eric
Jake92
BobW
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? Empty
PostSubject: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 9:44 am

Someone posted this to a thread in the other forum. I don't know what to make of it.

http://bridgethegulfproject.org/blog/2013/very-very-sick-population-due-bp-oil-and-dispersants-say-medical-experts-scientists
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 10:43 am

Hopefully they contact Preventive Medicine and Industrial Hygiene on the base to get the latest up to date info on area concerns..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyThu May 22, 2014 12:20 pm

I went for a swim a couple of weeks ago. The water'll be fine.

Louisiana was harder hit than we were. Those sick folks lived in the thick of the mess and probably had daily contact with the water.

We have had plenty of dilution since then.

P.S. You gotta die of something.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyMon May 26, 2014 9:22 am

A bit late Bob, but I have been surfing all week and SUP'ing too. I've been watching the shoreline carefully for tar balls on my running shoes, and checking the (scant) water quality reports. So far, so good.
Back to top Go down
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 1:46 am

I don't think it's healthy to swim in the ocean at all. They bury dead bodies there amongst other horrible things. Have you ever seen a body that's been sloughed in the water? Ugh!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 9:53 am

When we went camping out at Ft. McRee during Memorial Day weekend, I expected the waters to have settled somewhat after the big rain. On a full tide (where "cleaner" water has come in from the Gulf), it was still a bit dirty.

KooKat, I had a friend that used to say about water quality... "fish f**k in it".  Laughing 

Everything is relative, though. I don't like the fact that our water up here in Hoover, Alabama uses water from a reservoir. All kinds of animals poop in it and it collects everything that falls out of the air.

In Escambia County, the porous Sand and Gravel Aquifer, where ECUA's water comes from, has contamination from Radium, Flouride, Dry Cleaning Solvent (Perchlorethylene), Gasoline & Diesel fuels (Benzene, Ethyl-benzene, Toluene, Xylene, Methyl tert-butyl ether, Polynuclear Aromatic Hydrocarbons, Paraffins, Naphthalene, et al.

But the utilities use huge activated carbon filters (in Escambia County, anyway) and test them continuously to ensure that they don't reach "breakthrough", where they are full and don't intercept crud any longer. I also use activated carbon filters on the water I drink... here and in Pensacola.

I'm not going to stop living my life and withdraw into a life of paranoia. I live by the numbers. If the numbers are overwhelmingly in my favor, I will probably enjoy that activity.
Back to top Go down
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 10:39 am

I don't drink the water out of the faucet either but I'm sure enough not going to swim in waters I know are contaminated by decaying matter from all sorts of things. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyTue Jul 01, 2014 11:38 am

Our food is contaminated with hormones.  The air we breathe is contaminated with all kinds of chemicals and particulate matter.  There is crap in the water. Yep, bad juju is everywhere.

I was in charge of Escambia County Health Department's Water & Sewage section for about 5 years, so I understand the numbers on getting sick.  After heavy rains, you won't catch me in the water, especially bayous and bays, because, the "toilet" just flushed.  

If it hasn't rained heavily in the past 4 days, I feel better about swimming in the Gulf and in bays that have good flushing with Gulf water.  If I have open sores, I refrain from swimming.  

I don't swim in inland lakes or ponds because of the possibility of Cholera, Giardia, and lots of other buggers that'll ruin my day.

As I said earlier, life is a numbers game.  I play the numbers that are in my favor and don't worry about the chances that are infinitesimal.  As far as swimming is concerned, I DO worry about sharks when I swim at the pass.  That music from Jaws starts playing in my head, y'know.  I keep a wary eye out for 'em.

And lightning!  I hate lightning, especially when I am out sailing with that metal mast way up in the air, higher than anything else for hundreds of yards.  My wife and I got off easy when our catamaran was struck by lightning.  She got a contact burn on her leg where one of the metal shrouds carried part of the strike was up against her leg.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 6:46 am

Eric wrote:
Our food is contaminated with hormones.  The air we breathe is contaminated with all kinds of chemicals and particulate matter.  There is crap in the water.  Yep, bad juju is everywhere.

I was in charge of Escambia County Health Department's Water & Sewage section for about 5 years, so I understand the numbers on getting sick.  After heavy rains, you won't catch me in the water, especially bayous and bays, because, the "toilet" just flushed.  

If it hasn't rained heavily in the past 4 days, I feel better about swimming in the Gulf and in bays that have good flushing with Gulf water.  If I have open sores, I refrain from swimming.  

I don't swim in inland lakes or ponds because of the possibility of Cholera, Giardia, and lots of other buggers that'll ruin my day.

As I said earlier, life is a numbers game.  I play the numbers that are in my favor and don't worry about the chances that are infinitesimal.  As far as swimming is concerned, I DO worry about sharks when I swim at the pass.  That music from Jaws starts playing in my head, y'know.  I keep a wary eye out for 'em.

And lightning!  I hate lightning, especially when I am out sailing with that metal mast way up in the air, higher than anything else for hundreds of yards.  My wife and I got off easy when our catamaran was struck by lightning.  She got a contact burn on her leg where one of the metal shrouds carried part of the strike was up against her leg.

Good Post....Well said...I agree
Back to top Go down
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 11:01 am

Yes, sharks are one of my biggest concerns as well as lightening. I just don't like to swim in waters I know are contaminated. I'll stick to pools.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 11:19 am

koolkat wrote:
Yes, sharks are one of my biggest concerns as well as lightening. I just don't like to swim in waters I know are contaminated. I'll stick to pools.

Chlorine is good for you.....
Back to top Go down
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 1:18 pm

Better than waters that have dead bodies in them! Yuk!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyWed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 pm

KoolKat, I get the impression that you don't like dead bodies... lol.

I was an EMT and saw my share of 'em. Did CPR for 15 miles in the back of an ambulance on one person... who didn't make it... and had to go to the morgue to roll her off my backboard to get that special backboard I had made. (Standard backboards wouldn't fit into the Lifeflight helicopter they were using at the time and mine fit it. I wanted it back.)

Once, I helped gather the remains of a Navy Pilot who nose-dived a T2-V into Perdido Bay. We recovered 10 lbs of him... so sad.

I still swim in the bays and Gulf with my mouth open. Disgusting, huh?
Back to top Go down
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 10:45 pm

OMG! Don't say that! All I can think of is Bin Laden's body decaying in the waters. I really haven't seen very many dead bodies. They bother me. What did the woman die of? Heart attack?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyThu Jul 03, 2014 11:52 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
Eric wrote:
Our food is contaminated with hormones.  The air we breathe is contaminated with all kinds of chemicals and particulate matter.  There is crap in the water.  Yep, bad juju is everywhere.

Good Post....Well said...I agree

Hi HG!! Missed you, buddy! Smile

I completely agree. You all have heard me talk about my hippie dippy sister. She's a vegan and only eats organic food. She gets sick a lot. I told my dad once that it's because she doesn't "keep her levels up" ... by which I meant her levels of cooties, of course.

In general I probably eat better than most Americans, and I have a "thing" about milk. Organic only. I swear I can taste the chemicals and hormones in regular milk. Everything else I eat is conventional unless it's on sale. But every now and then I'll eat at a diner or Denny's or something. You know, to keep my levels up. Wink

And you bet your sweet ass I swam in the gulf... every chance I got. I was so starved for nature when I lived there, that and fishing was what kept me sane. I swam in the intercoastal waterway, too. At night. Naked. With the sharks. And the cooties. And the dead body goo. Ooo!

Razz 
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 10:29 am

Ricey's hippy-dippy sister.

Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? 2280908
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 10:40 am

She gets mad when I call her a hippie. "I AM *NOT*!!" lol
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 10:43 am

riceme wrote:
Hi HG!! Missed you, buddy! Smile

I completely agree. You all have heard me talk about my hippie dippy sister. She's a vegan and only eats organic food. She gets sick a lot. I told my dad once that it's because she doesn't "keep her levels up" ... by which I meant her levels of cooties, of course.

In general I probably eat better than most Americans, and I have a "thing" about milk. Organic only. I swear I can taste the chemicals and hormones in regular milk. Everything else I eat is conventional unless it's on sale. But every now and then I'll eat at a diner or Denny's or something. You know, to keep my levels up. Wink

And you bet your sweet ass I swam in the gulf... every chance I got. I was so starved for nature when I lived there, that and fishing was what kept me sane. I swam in the intercoastal waterway, too. At night. Naked. With the sharks. And the cooties. And the dead body goo. Ooo!

Razz 

As a guy, the only word I read in that post was "naked". lol! 
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 11:04 am

Eric wrote:

As a guy, the only word I read in that post was "naked". lol! 

LOL. I hate wearing clothes.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptyFri Jul 04, 2014 2:41 pm

:-)
Back to top Go down
koolkat

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 6:30 pm

Yuk! Yuk! And yuk again,Riceme! I would never let the fishies see me naked.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptySat Jul 05, 2014 8:51 pm

LOL. They didn't mind... they were naked too.

Wink 
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 7:59 am

LOL
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 9:03 am

Very Happy 

Hey, T. Missed you.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? EmptySun Jul 06, 2014 10:37 pm

riceme wrote:
 Very Happy 

Hey, T. Missed you.

I missed you also. I share in spirit your adventures in Alaska. You are one of those rare flowers that can grow in any condition and bloom beautifully. You are a born pioneer and survivor. I will always admire you.
Yours, Teo
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?   Is it safe to get in the Gulf water? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it safe to get in the Gulf water?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next