Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Area Codes - a question...

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Area Codes - a question... Empty
PostSubject: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 8:49 pm

New York City's area code is 212.

Downtown Los Angeles' area code is 213.

Notice that these cities are across the country from one another. Why are the area code numbers consecutive?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:10 pm

from wiki...

Area codes were initially assigned based on the volume of telephone calls made in each area. The most populous areas were assigned the area codes that required the least time for dialing. A subscriber line as well as switch banks had to be allocated for the entire time from begin of dialing to the end of a call. The time to dial a digit was directly proportional to the digit, with the exception of the 0, which required 10 pulses or 1 second. The densely populated areas of New York City, Chicago, Los Angeles, and Detroit had large incoming call volume and were assigned the area codes (212, 312, 213, and 313, respectively. As an exception, the first area code installed was 201 for New Jersey. The sparsely populated area of rural Texas received area code 915. This numbering strategy became unnecessary when Dual-tone multi-frequency (DTMF) signaling was used in Touch-ToneĀ® telephones starting in 1963, in which all digits could be generated in the same amount of time.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyTue Mar 26, 2013 9:56 pm

Bob, you didn't mention the main reason it took a shorter time to dial. In the days of the old ROTARY phones, area codes with ones, twos and threes took less personal time to dial and less equipment time waiting for you to complete your call. It was simply the most efficient way to divvy up the area codes.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 5:26 am

Eric wrote:
Bob, you didn't mention the main reason it took a shorter time to dial. In the days of the old ROTARY phones, area codes with ones, twos and threes took less personal time to dial and less equipment time waiting for you to complete your call. It was simply the most efficient way to divvy up the area codes.

Actually that text was copied from wiki. But I think it's pointing to the same thing isn't it?

But I already see something about it that doesn't add up. I would have thought that North Florida, which included the populations of Jacksonville, Tallahassee and Pensacola, would not have been one of the least populated areas when compared to all the really rural parts of the U.S. However, they gave us an area code with both a '9' and a '0' in it (904). So we must have been one of those exceptions to the rule.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 8:16 am

I remember when telephone exchanges were so small that all that was required to dial a number was the last 5 digits of the number. For example if the phone number was 466-2106. you would need to only dial 6-2106 to reach your party.

Speaking of party, does anyone remember having party lines where 2 or more households shared a phone line?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 8:57 am

When I lived on Innerarity Point, you used to be able to just dial the last four digits... Everything out that way started with 492.

Bob, you are correct, but didn't mention the old rotary-dial phones.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 9:15 am

We had a party line wayyyy back in the middle 50's and 1 woman was on the dang phone 18-20 hrs a day..... GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 12:20 pm

Jake92 wrote:
We had a party line wayyyy back in the middle 50's and 1 woman was on the dang phone 18-20 hrs a day..... GRRRRRRRRRRRR

We also were on a party line when I was small. Each line had a distinctive ring and as a small child I was not able to distinguish between the rings and I would inevitably answer the other party's ring every time. I cannot count how many times I was scolded for that. It took me quite a while to learn my lesson.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:22 pm

I had not known how it worked before, but it makes sense now that I read it... My siblings and cousins who live in the boonies all have area codes beginning in nine.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 8:53 pm

riceme wrote:
I had not known how it worked before, but it makes sense now that I read it... My siblings and cousins who live in the boonies all have area codes beginning in nine.

Area Codes - a question... 111Now you can tell something about a place just by looking at the area code...
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

Area Codes - a question... 111Now you can tell something about a place just by looking at the area code...

I knows it! Ain't that a cool thang?? Thanks, Bobby Baby! Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Area Codes - a question...   Area Codes - a question... Empty

Back to top Go down

Area Codes - a question...
Page 1 of 1