Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop

Go down 
+3
riceme
Surfnrg
hallmarkgrad
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop Empty
PostSubject: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 7:40 am

What a mouth full to chew on. No olive oil infused coffee?

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130304/BUSINESS/303040010/Taris-Savell-new-brew-Palafox

The official name of Rishy Studer’s latest business enterprise is Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop, but bets are that customers will soon shorten it to The Brew at 407 S. Palafox St., Suite C.

“We needed a coffee shop downtown and it was a good fit. We liked the synergy of placement between Bodacious Olive and Carmen’s Lunch Bar,” Studer

said.

Bodacious Brew features a full service espresso bar and expert baristas, as well as pour-overs, siphon and drip coffees. Non coffee drinkers can choose from 20 varieties of Rishi (no relation) Tea.

The urban decor mix focuses on a unique standing table with chargers, padded benches, chairs and high tops. There’s room inside for about 20 guests while outside people can enjoy sipping their coffee and watch the morning news on TV.

Hours are 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday, with breakfast served until 10 a.m. Call 434-6300.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:15 am

LOL I need to rush down for a quick pour-over, siphon or drip coffee. Ge-zus
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:16 am

Ok here goes NO We did not need ANOTHER coffee place downtown sorry rishy. The bodacious olive served a niche downtown good olive oils i presonally could not afford, good fresh pasts.

I unserstand wanting to open up the south end of palafox and the studers are doing just that, but as we saw it coming they are now bent on cannabolizing other downtown businesses. There are 3 other coffee places downtown now and in all but one case rishy has the deeper pockets. It is the american way that they can possibly leverage others out. Hopedully that will not be true, i do not for instance think that your normal coffee house type kids will go there.

In any case i think there will be more what i view as cannabolozing when they open up the old penko across the street. I only wish that the studers would not target other downtown businesses in their quest for south palafox dominance it really is nor necessary.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 8:25 am

Correct. It is just a Ego, Power trip type thing. Pensacola has a way of self levelling. Maybe Studer can pull it off and then maybe not. We shall see.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:42 am

I am a big fan of extremely strong coffee, so I'm all-in if someone mentions espresso. But what in the hell is a pour-over or siphoned coffee?? Sounds like something our neighbors used to do with a length of garden hose stuck down our vehicles' fuel tanks.

Hopefully her "expert baristas" are a little more savvy than the ones at our local joint in town. Last time I went in there and asked for a quadruple espresso, the dingbat looked at me with a question-mark on her face and asked, "Huh??" I repeated my order.... [LONG PAUSE WHILE "EXPERT BARISTA" STARES AT ME]... Finally she says, "Umm, how many is that??"

God help us all.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 am

I might can get a job!!! I can make "Boiled coffee" Step right up, the first cup is free.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:00 pm

We call that Cowboy Coffee at here home and that's how I make it when I go camping. We could get jobs TOGETHER, HG!! As "expert baristas!" My dream come true.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:01 pm

LOL, riceme. I don't know anything about the coffee shops in Downtown Pensacola but I also like a dark, strong coffee. No fancy flavors, just a nice strong brew. I prefer Indonesian coffee because it's strong but it's also smooth and has a low acidity. But it's so dang expensive. I like Starbuck's Sumatra....but it's too expensive to buy on a regular basis. Lately, my favorite affordable coffee is Seattle's Best Dark and Intense, Level 5. It's $5.99 for a 12 oz bag at Publix and since it's a strong coffee, it doesn't take a lot of it to make a nice strong pot. For the price and quality, Seattle's Best is the best coffee I've found in the grocery stores here. Community Coffee Dark is also good and I buy that sometimes too.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:06 pm

Hallmarkgrad, looks good to me! I noticed that the coffee grinds were dark black, not light brown.

Burger King now as a TV commercial about some kind of new weak coffee they're selling...yuck.

But I tell you what, I like McDonald's coffee. It's pretty good. And I am picky, lol.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:14 pm

Here is what we use her on the West side. special blend Dollar Tree brand . MMMMM Good Imported from china so it has to be good.

Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop 122033
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:16 pm

Oh, it sounds just horrible!

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:21 pm

Neko, Seattle's Best is pretty good coffee. If you ever see it around, pick up a bag of Peet's Coffee... VERY GOOD!! I get mine whole-bean @the grocery, then run it through their grinder on the Turkish or Espresso setting. Viola! And no, I do not have an espresso machine (are you kidding?? I am WAY too cheap for that!!), I just run it through my regular machine thataway and it makes it extra, super strong. Well, that and the fact that I tamp the grounds down in the basket with my fist 'til not one more single solitary ground will fit! lol.

LOL, HG! You crack me up, man. "Special Dollar Tree Brand" sounds awfully similar to "Special Harbor Freight Brand" to me... they're probably cousins. Hell, maybe brothers!

Last edited by riceme on Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling fubar)
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:24 pm

A pour over is the classic style and has more caffeine than expresso. Basically a white paper filter is put over a glass carafe and the grind is put in the paper funnel no grinds can get through. The barista then pours the water at an exact temperature out of a ss thing that looks like an old oil can. The water is poured slowly in circular motion
Over the grinds.

China coffee cups are preferred.

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:25 pm

nekochan wrote:
Oh, it sounds just horrible!

Loving coffee as much as I do, it does to me as well. But I tell you what: I would rather drink an entire steamship line full of instant coffee than a single glass of instant ICE TEA. ARGH!!! Now THAT is some nasty, nasty stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:27 pm

I have a coffee maker that grinds before it brews. But there is only one setting and it doesn't grind long enough to make it a fine consistency. So when I buy coffee beans, I run the grinder 2 or 3 times to get a nice fine grind to them,

I have heard of Peet's, but I have never bought it. I'll have to see if we have it here in Huntsville.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:29 pm

Instant tea is nasty. Geez, been years since I've had that. I am not a fan of instant coffee either but I did buy a jar of it a couple of years ago when we had tornadoes here and the power was out for a week. It is all they had left at the Publix. It was not great, but it was better than no coffee, lol.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 pm

Peeps?
 Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTw6I2ie0yLSc0UsSFvs44vdUn64wDf7uZW88nHkWbhm5neLq22_w
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:32 pm

nekochan wrote:
I have a coffee maker that grinds before it brews. But there is only one setting and it doesn't grind long enough to make it a fine consistency. So when I buy coffee beans, I run the grinder 2 or 3 times to get a nice fine grind to them,

I have heard of Peet's, but I have never bought it. I'll have to see if we have it here in Huntsville.

U are killing the beans you need a "burr" grinder. It has numbered settings and is conical in shape. It actually cuts the bean instead of grinding it like a food processor plus it does not heat up.

A goos expresso grind should be so fine it is like dust...it is then tamped down and put into a fine expresso machine. The grind, the temp of the water and the psi the water is forced throgh the grind is an art.

That is why you need a barista or study up but u must start with a burr grinder and they are 50 bucks up good ones can be 100 easy

Last edited by whowherewhy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

They had those French press coffee makers when we were in Australia and I have also seen them in Japan. I do not like the taste of coffee made that way. I would rather have it boiled, like Hallmark's video.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm

I had a friend that had a coffee shop here in Birmingham. I did his website. The shop was called Safari Cup. He specialized in African coffees. Stout coffee, I might say. According to him, Africa was where coffee was discovered.

He has moved to Chicago. http://safaricup.com/#/851845/Brands

They lived in Zimbabwe and South Africa for a long time. He was spelling something for me and got to a letter and said "zed"... (I said "what?")

The letter "Z" is pronounced zed.

Last edited by Eric on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm

whowherewhy wrote:
A pour over is the classic style and has more caffeine than expresso. Basically a white paper filter is put over a glass carafe and the grind is put in the paper funnel no grinds can get through. The barista then pours the water at an exact temperature out of a ss thing that looks like an old oil can. The water is poured slowly in circular motion Over the grinds.

China coffee cups are preferred.

Interesting! Because I am now living on my own again and I purposefully reduced my caffeine intake (which was limited to the Wonder Woman strength coffee described above), I began (again) to use one of those cone-drip dealios that you put a paper filter inside of in effort to only have one (large) cup. I boil my water then let it cool for a moment before, just like the Expert Barista method described above, I pour the water slowly into the grounds in a circular motion. Who knew I was so friggin' fancy, huh?? Well, la-tee-da!

Oh, and a large mug is preferred in my house. Wink

I used to use French Presses, which make a fine cup of coffee, but it was difficult to get my coffee as strong as I like it,... plus I broke several of them because I pushed down too hard on the plunger. :/
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm

That is why you need a barista

I would bet that finding a good barista in Pensacola would be a stretch.
Back to top Go down
Surfnrg

Surfnrg

nekochan wrote:
They had those French press coffee makers when we were in Australia and I have also seen them in Japan. I do not like the taste of coffee made that way. I would rather have it boiled, like Hallmark's video.

French presses make some of the best coffee u can do at home.

Boiling kills the subtle flavors it should be served well under boiling.

Around 160

Last edited by whowherewhy on Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:39 pm

I don't like a separate grinder because I make such a mess with it while transferring the coffee from the grinder to the coffee maker. I've done that before and I always ended up with coffee grinds all over my floor and counter, lol. I guess I could grind it the night before but in the morning I don't have the patience to grind the coffee in one appliance and then transfer it over to the coffee maker. Lazy...I know. And messy.

What I need (notice the word need!) is a fancy burr type grinder you speak of that also brews the coffee in one appliance.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Eric wrote:
I had a friend that had a coffee shop here in Birmingham. I did his website. The shop was called Safari Cup. He specialized in African coffees. Stout coffee, I might say. According to him, Africa was where coffee was discovered.

He has moved to Chicago. http://safaricup.com/#/851845/Brands

They lived in Zimbabwe and South Africa for a long time. He was spelling something for me and got to a letter and said "zed"... (I said "what?")

The letter "Z" is pronounced zed.

I've had some African coffee before and it was all really good... and strong, as you mentioned. Mama likey!

In my travels abroad I learned that "zed" is how much of the rest of the world pronounces the letter "z." Look on the bright side. At least you asked, "What?" instead of "Who?" like I did first time I heard it. The guys called me "Zed" for about a week after that,... fortunately THAT nickname did not stick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop    Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop Empty

Back to top Go down

Bodacious Brew-Espresso, Breakfast, Chocolate & Gelato Shop
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next