Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH? Empty
PostSubject: Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH?   Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH? EmptyWed Mar 04, 2015 7:58 pm

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Clackamas-County-family-says-sheriffs-deputy-shot-and-killed-beloved-pony-for-no-good-reason-294958641.html?tab=video&c=y

"We walked up closer and I bent down to pet him, and that's when I saw the pool of blood behind his cheek bones. The neighbor came out and told us she had called the sheriff's department and they put him down,” Fitzgerald said.

"When I called the officer he said that he had gotten out on the highway and gotten hit by a car and broke both of his back legs,” she said.

Clackamas County Sheriff Office spokesman Sgt. Nathan Thompson tells KATU News the officer did believe the horse had broken legs from being hit by a car.

Thompson also said he believes the deputy called the Oregon Humane Society to ask about euthanizing the horse before he shot it. A spokeswoman for OHS tells KATU News the deputy never called them.

Thompson also said the deputy called a local veterinarian to ask about euthanizing the horse. KATU News reporter Hillary Lake contacted the vet about that call. He confirmed he did talk to the deputy, that his office offered assistance in euthanizing the horse, but that the officer said he would “take care of the problem on his own” and call a rendering service himself.

Thompson said the deputy made the decision to shoot the horse after also consulting his supervisor.

“There wasn't very much I could say at that point because they shot the pony. I mean, i didn't know how to react,” Fitzgerald said.

She didn't believe Gir was hit by a car or that it had broken legs as the neighbor told the deputy, and the sheriff’s office claims.

"My vet said there was absolutely nothing wrong with him,” she said.

So she sent Gir's body to Oregon State University's veterinary lab on February 25 for a second opinion.

The report says Gir died by gunshot, had no broken bones except for a fractured jaw caused by a bullet, and was in excellent body condition considering he had arthritis.

"If I had gone out and shot the pony I’d be in jail right now. That's cruel,” Fitzgerald said.

The Clackamas County Sheriff's Office is investigating the shooting because Fitzgerald’s husband filed a report.

The Oregon Humane Society can’t confirm if it started, and then stopped, an animal cruelty investigation into Gir’s shooting.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH?   Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH? EmptyThu Mar 05, 2015 2:13 pm

I wish this surprised me.
Back to top Go down

Cop shoots healthy pony in the head...WTH?
Page 1 of 1