Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week

Go down 
+2
Eric
SheSurfs
6 posters
AuthorMessage
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week Empty
PostSubject: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 8:29 pm

http://www.northescambia.com/2012/09/man-charged-with-stealing-164-dumpsters

With the number and size...eventually you are going to get caught.

(Are hiding something in your pocket or are you just REALLY glad to see me?)
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I saw that article tonight. Some of the comments were good too.

Pretty stupid if he thought he was going to get away with it.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BirdyBack

BirdyBack

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 9:02 pm

Pretty stupid of the scrap company, too, if you ask me. An individual doesn't just show up with 164 dumpsters to sell for scrap.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 9:54 pm

Along the same lines, scrap dealers know what air conditioning copper looks like and they should be liable for prosecution by buying that copper. There has got to be a way to stop copper thieves from ruining a thousand dollar air conditioning compressor for $30 worth of copper.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 11:35 pm

A lot of places are cracking down on recyclers...with civil and criminal charges being filed. Others are requiring photographs and registration of those selling to recycling companies, non-cash payments, etc.

Kind of hard to convince a scrap metal business that a bunch of dumpsters were collected by eager high schoolers raising money for new band uniforms.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 8:55 am

My understanding was that he was cutting the dumpsters down into smaller pieces so that they would not be recognizable as a dumpster.
Back to top Go down
https://pensacoladaily.forumotion.com
Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:02 am

I've seen signs advertising cages you can put over your air conditioners to protect the copper tubing. Wonder if thieves can cut them off and sell them for scrap too?

I believe they are made from aluminum which is virtually worthless. They should be made form hardened steel which would make it a chore to cut through and maybe make the thief think twice about trying to steal the copper.

@ Eric: You stated that the buyers should be able to recognize copper from AC units. I am a little naive on metals, but what makes copper tubing in an AC unit any difference than any other copper tubing. Then there is the copper wiring used in commercial and residential electrical wiring.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/g4p
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:30 am

Admin wrote:
My understanding was that he was cutting the dumpsters down into smaller pieces so that they would not be recognizable as a dumpster.

They don't look cut up to me. Pic from NorthEscambia.com.

Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week Dumpst10

Caption: Pictured top: Some of the dumpsters allegedly scrapped by an Alabama man. Courtesy photo for NorthEscambia.com...

I was under the impression that those are the one that he took to refurbish and not the scrap metal that he sold.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptyThu Sep 20, 2012 11:33 am

Granny4Peace wrote:
I've seen signs advertising cages you can put over your air conditioners to protect the copper tubing. Wonder if thieves can cut them off and sell them for scrap too?

It would be GREAT if you could hook a Taser to your AC... and get it on video when the S.O.B. grabs it! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 7:55 am

At the big recycling center on Bayou Chico they have warning signs posted that they will not buy Air conditioning parts. Some pieces are hard to disassemble and disguise. They take your picture with a photo Id, thumb print, and a copy of what you sold. I used to scrap a lot. The rules have really become strict in the last few years. Years ago when I use to go there a lot,you could see stuff that might be stolen..Auto Shred as it used ti be called is a very straight up and good company. I was going to write a book or a blog on the "Scrappers" that i have met. 99% of them were honest and very very hard working people who enjoyed the life style. I an not talking about thieves and bums. Thieves have made it hard on people who scrap for a living. Aluminum can bring up to 45 cents a pound for the right type.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week   Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week Empty

Back to top Go down

Most Creative Stupid Crime of the Week
Page 1 of 1