Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Car question

Go down 
+2
hallmarkgrad
Eric
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Car question - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 1:36 pm

Well I picked my car up this morning.

Ask to see work was told it all under a cover. It was. Crank it up, complained about tick. Told him it not fixed, he said it was that older cars sounded like that then I was pissed

Drove to work and it started doing the same damn thing it was doing when I took it in

I was so upset I was crying mad. Had to go to work had a important meeting.

I was so upset all day my stomach now hurts and I ended up leaving and taking it back to him

Now I'm going to get drunk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 4:04 pm

and in other weird news of the day...................

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 12, 2014 11:32 pm

I am really sorry to hear that, Chrissy. I wish you lived near one of us so we could help you in some way. I'm sure any of us here would do anything to try to help you at least troubleshoot the issue if we were nearby.

I would still recommend taking the vehicle to a big name parts store (AutoZone, CarQuest, NAPA, etc.) and asking the guy behind the counter to run the OBD II monitor on it. At least you'll have a starting point. Don't forget to write down the codes it throws and what they mean. Actually, you can always Google the codes later if you forget to write down their meaning, but you'll need them before you go to the mechanic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 9:12 am

riceme wrote:
I am really sorry to hear that, Chrissy. I wish you lived near one of us so we could help you in some way. I'm sure any of us here would do anything to try to help you at least troubleshoot the issue if we were nearby.

I would still recommend taking the vehicle to a big name parts store (AutoZone, CarQuest, NAPA, etc.) and asking the guy behind the counter to run the OBD II monitor on it. At least you'll have a starting point. Don't forget to write down the codes it throws and what they mean. Actually, you can always Google the codes later if you forget to write down their meaning, but you'll need them before you go to the mechanic.

I know y'all would.

I did take it to autozone like y'all said, its too old a car for what they had. They said it was anyway.

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 10:52 am

Really?? What year vehicle is it, if you don't mind me asking?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 11:16 am

Well, I messed up my car yesterday.  Hallmarkgrad warned me not to do it, but after getting assurances from a CB shop, I installed a huge CB amplifier in my Civic.  

My Torque app (reading OBD codes) shows 6 or 8 error codes and my "check engine" light is on.  When I keyed the microphone, feedback came over my stereo speakers... and the stereo was OFF!

If I cannot get Torque to reset the codes, I'll unplug the battery to reset the car.  (I have the radio code handy as it will need to be reentered when I hook the battery back up.)

Hopefully, the error codes were related to the huge drop in voltage that happened when I keyed the microphone, and no damage was done.  I had ordered a huge capacitor to help provide the amp with sufficient transient power, but won't be using that amp... learned my lesson.

Thankfully, the car seems to run okay and my nav system/stereo are operational as well.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 11:28 am

Oopsie... shoulda listened to HG. He is The Man. Are you taking it back to the same shop?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 12:00 pm

riceme wrote:
Oopsie... shoulda listened to HG. He is The Man. Are you taking it back to the same shop?

All they did was sell me some mounting brackets and a mic and an antenna.

HG gave me the CB stuff.

But, I will let them know about what happened, so they will be aware...
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 12:55 pm

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

All they did was sell me some mounting brackets and a mic and an antenna.

HG gave me the CB stuff.

But, I will let them know about what happened, so they will be aware...

Oh well I would definitely take it back to HG and make him fix it then. lol
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 4:13 pm

Nah, he was gracious enough to give me the equipment... and there were two CB radios in the box, one of which has an incredible amount of capability.  

Normal CB radios have 40 channels.  Fancy CB radios have upper and lower sidebands for each of those 40 channels.  Made by a company named HAM International, this radio has 200 channels, and sidebands for each of those channels, plus FM receive/transmit... something I'll probably never use.  The FM does not use the the FM frequencies people normally think of (like available in your car radio); many times they use repeater towers for extended range.  Also, this radio transmits on reduced power, normal power, or (ahem) extra power.

The USA has not allocated those extra channels for CB usage, and some of them are utilized by people like the Coast Guard and the military. I certainly don't plan to bring down the Gendarme on me by transmitting willy-nilly on unauthorized channels.

On my car, I cleared all the error codes off using the Torque app, except for one error code that deals with the position of the gas pedal.  I ran some wires in that area and hopefully, I pulled a wire loose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 4:53 pm

eric,

breaker breaker 1:9 does not mean break your car Razz

Hope you get it fixed. This seems like one of them "men" moments Wink
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:22 pm

When I had CBs back in the 1970's and '80's, I talked pretty much all over the world. Belgium, Australia, Nova Scotia, South America, and all over the USA. It was mostly on sidebands... which allow for the signal to travel farther.

I used to run a big old tube-type amp in a truck. Tubes have to be kept warm and those amps draw a lot of power. Several times, I went out to the truck in the morning and found that I left my amp on. Then it was time to throw THAT battery away and get a new one. Yep, killed batteries deader than a doornail.

Before cell phones, Christine and I used to talk sideband when we were on the road. It was a reliable way to communicate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 5:45 pm

Eric wrote:
When I had CBs back in the 1970's and '80's, I talked pretty much all over the world.  Belgium, Australia, Nova Scotia, South America, and all over the USA.  It was mostly on sidebands... which allow for the signal to travel farther.

I used to run a big old tube-type amp in a truck.  Tubes have to be kept warm and those amps draw a lot of power.  Several times, I went out to the truck in the morning and found that I left my amp on.  Then it was time to throw THAT battery away and get a new one.  Yep, killed batteries deader than a doornail.

Before cell phones, Christine and I used to talk sideband when we were on the road.  It was a reliable way to communicate.

What a great memory.

I remember CB's. I'm actually listening to a album right now and there is a comment about driving the big rigs. Growing up CB's seemed to be only for truckers. I know better now as there was one in my boat that I didn't know how to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZTd2rDD5bU

its a good thing to have. I admit, Ive had a bit of fun on those. But not as much as one old ugly lady I knew who lived in a trailer park down the road from my house growing up. As a teenager we used to go there to hang out. Long story lol

but anyway she was a sleeze bag and I not lie there were dozens of trucks that stopped. I saw the trucks, ... Suspect
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 7:01 pm

Uh, huh!

We know what SHE was doin'.

"Anybody out there want to paaaarrrrty?"
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 13, 2014 9:47 pm

I was kidding about makinig HG fix it, E!! :-) You know who else loves cb radio? Az. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 10:55 am

Got car back just now for second time.

cheers

I think its fixed. I only drove it home but she seemed tight and right like before.

Hope you have figured out your car Eric.

Car problems suck.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 12:22 pm

Good! Glad to hear it, Chrissy.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 1:03 pm

LOL I told you that amp kicked ass.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
LOL  I told you that amp kicked ass.

LOLing that you're LOLing.

cheers
Back to top Go down
AuntieChrist

AuntieChrist

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 9:43 am

riceme wrote:
The Dude wrote:
You can take it to an autozone and they can read the computer codes for free... it could be something like the mass airflow sensor... but it's hard to tell with newer cars.

My mass airflow sensor threw a code just last weekend. A rag had gotten sucked up into my air filter housing and was completely blocking the flow of oxygen to my motor. silent

Oh dear. Your car was on the rag.
Back to top Go down
AuntieChrist

AuntieChrist

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 9:44 am

riceme wrote:
I was kidding about makinig HG fix it, E!! :-) You know who else loves cb radio? Az. Smile

Say what?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 11:00 am

lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 1:43 pm

ah, the auntichrist has shown up.... Suspect

I never knew all this time that AZ was auntichrist, but right now, Im willing to bet one very large eggplant Razz
Back to top Go down
AuntieChrist

AuntieChrist

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 2:03 pm

Chrissy* wrote:
ah, the auntichrist has shown up.... Suspect

I never knew all this time that AZ was auntichrist, but right now, Im willing to bet one very large eggplant Razz

I love eggplant! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 20, 2014 2:14 pm

Hey Az what a very nice surprise....good to know you are here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Car question   Car question - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Car question
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next