Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Discrimination question.....

Go down 
+2
nochain
mediawatcher
6 posters
AuthorMessage
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

Discrimination question..... Empty
PostSubject: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 8:38 am

So most have heard about the laws and penalties for businesses that discriminate against LGBT individuals for not serving them ie...the bakery that was fined and put out of business.....The reasoning is/was that it was illegal to do so...

Bruce Springstein ,Bryan Adams, and Ringo Starr have cancelled/refused to play concerts in North Carolina and Mississippi [can't remember where Ringo was supposed to play] based on laws signed by the governors which they claim are anti-LGBT and discriminates....

So are artists excluded from the laws of states?....They can choose to withhold their services [performances] in states they don't agree with the laws and yet the bakery and other businesses aren't afforded with the same choice?...Artists beliefs are more important than business owners that have beliefs and don't agree with laws?....Are the artists discriminating against non LGBT individuals and not providing services that they had paid for?....
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 11:18 am

You know it doesn't work both ways!! Of course those "artists" are discriminating but it doesn't matter since regular folk don't count just those that choose to place themselves in some hypersensitive category.

If I had owned that bakery I would have simply just baked them the absolute worst cake imaginable and called it a day.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 5:02 pm

It isn't discrimination if they cancelled concerts for everybody. If they refunded tickets only to a certain class of people (black, LGBT, albinos, etc.) it would be discrimination.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 3:56 am

Eric wrote:
It isn't discrimination if they cancelled concerts for everybody.  If they refunded tickets only to a certain class of people (black, LGBT, albinos, etc.) it would be discrimination.

So if the bakery refused gay wedding cakes for everyone then it's not discrimination?....Can't have it both ways....It's really again the reflection of the hypocrisy on the issue...it's discrimination and against the laws---well until it's something that the other side doesn't agree with then it's appropriate/acceptable to disagree....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 4:03 am

nochain wrote:
You know it doesn't work both ways!! Of course those "artists" are discriminating but it doesn't matter since regular folk don't count just those that choose to place themselves in some hypersensitive category.

If I had owned that bakery I would have simply just baked them the absolute worst cake imaginable and called it a day.

Well in the case of Bryan Adams....the ticket sales were extremely low so what better time to make a point!...Guess Biloxi wasn't all that interested...

The complaint would have still been made and the bakery would have been punished for not providing a quality product for gays...although it wouldn't have made the owners any less broke...'Hypersensitivity' pretty much sums it up....
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 6:39 am

Good points comrades. The free market and free association apparently are only there for a leftist political bludgeon.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 7:31 am

PkrBum wrote:
Good points comrades. The free market and free association apparently are only there for a leftist political bludgeon.

It's just confusing that the left is 'courageous' for taking a stand in something believed in but the right is 'vilified' for taking a stand for something believed in...Agree that laws should be followed but shouldn't they be applied to all?...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 10:44 am

mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:
It isn't discrimination if they cancelled concerts for everybody.  If they refunded tickets only to a certain class of people (black, LGBT, albinos, etc.) it would be discrimination.

So if the bakery refused gay wedding cakes for everyone then it's not discrimination?....Can't have it both ways....It's really again the reflection of the hypocrisy on the issue...it's discrimination and against the laws---well until it's something that the other side doesn't agree with then it's appropriate/acceptable to disagree....

The question was about canceling a concert... and refunding money to everybody that bought tickets.  There was no discrimination.

If a baker decided to quit selling all cakes to everybody, there wouldn't have been discrimination either. If a baker decided to refuse to serve gays, that would be discrimination.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 2:14 pm

Instead of canceling... they should have a concert strictly for the lgbt community. J/k... I support the peaceful principled forms of protest... boycott, picket, demonstrate... etc. What I don't support is any form of discrimination or special treatment... particularly from govt. Equal opportunity should be exactly that... with no consideration for race, sex, religion... etc.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 9:34 am

PkrBum wrote:
Instead of canceling... they should have a concert strictly for the lgbt community. J/k... I support the peaceful principled forms of protest... boycott, picket, demonstrate... etc. What I don't support is any form of discrimination or special treatment... particularly from govt. Equal opportunity should be exactly that... with no consideration for race, sex, religion... etc.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/183383/americans-greatly-overestimate-percent-gay-lesbian.aspx

Ya know when I go to a concert I could give a crap less about the political opinions of the artist and where are not the people there are gay...If that were a concern why go?...If a bakery doesn't want to make gay themed cakes go to a bakery that does...it really shouldn't be that big of a deal further, why the hell would any consumer patronize any business that doesn't like them?...Someone going into a Muslim eatery and demanding pork is just as foolish and lacking of common sense....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 11:00 am

Speaking of concerts, we saw Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) last night in Montgomery.  Great concert.  He does a show called Jethro Tull - A Rock Opera.  There is a full band on stage and he has a large screen as a backdrop and there are three or four other vocalists at various times on the screen and they accompany Ian.  An interesting twist to the concert.  He works a few of the old hits like Living in the Past and Locomotive Breath and Aqualung into the opera.

Bob Wood was with Christine and I and, with so much scenery on that screen and with visuals so much a part of the performance, Bob kept his eyes open the whole concert... a FIRST.  Ol' Bob usually closes his eyes when at concerts and he sometimes lapses into la la land.  He is known for his sleeping prowess.

The original Jethro Tull was an 18th century inventor-type who tinkered with agricultural implement inventions.  The opera that we attended last night was a "what if he were alive today" scenario and involved in GMO bioengineering.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 6:10 pm

Wow... that sounds awesome. I had an old buddy with me at Bob's house and he played a guitar bib had and I played the harmonica... we were playing some neil young and stuff. I looked over and bob was sound asleep in his chair... lol. It was getting a little late to be fair... so we left. But I'm glad to know it wasn't just our bad playing... lol.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptySat Apr 16, 2016 7:27 pm

I am super jealous that you got to see Ian Anderson. Jethro Tull is one of my all-time favorites, and a friend and I were just going on about them about a week ago.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 8:23 pm

We saw an acapella group last night.  Their name was Pentatonix.  Not a bad show.  My son Nick is a big fan and we went with him  Here is one of their songs.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptySun Apr 17, 2016 8:29 pm

Have you heard about this?  WOW!

From Rolling Stone:
Quote :
Six titans of rock music – the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Paul McCartney, Neil Young, the Who and Roger Waters – are reportedly in the finishing stages of joining together in October for an epic three-day concert in Indio, California. Goldenvoice, the organizers of the Coachella Music Festival, are in talks to bring the six Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees to the fest's Empire Polo Field site on October 7th through 9th, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Tentatively, Bob Dylan and the Rolling Stones would open the mega concert on Friday with back-to-back sets; Saturday would see Neil Young and the Promise of the Real performing before McCartney's set later that night, while sets by the Who and Pink Floyd's Roger Waters would close out the mind-blowing consortium on Sunday.

Management for the artists involved confirmed to the Los Angeles Times that plans for the mega show were "nearing completion," with Young's manager Elliot Roberts telling the newspaper, "It's so special in so many ways, because you won't get a chance to see a bill like this, perhaps ever again. It's a show I look forward to more than any show in a long time."

Billboard adds that, like Coachella, a second weekend of the mega concert is also being discussed.

The still-unnamed and unconfirmed mega concert would mark the first time that Dylan and McCartney have appeared on the same bill at a music festival, the Los Angeles Times reports. In July 1985, Dylan, Young, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Ronnie Wood all performed at the Philadelphia faction of the Live Aid event, while McCartney and the Who took the Wembley Stadium stage for the London concert.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 10:03 am

Eric wrote:
Speaking of concerts, we saw Ian Anderson (of Jethro Tull) last night in Montgomery.  Great concert.  He does a show called Jethro Tull - A Rock Opera.  There is a full band on stage and he has a large screen as a backdrop and there are three or four other vocalists at various times on the screen and they accompany Ian.  An interesting twist to the concert.  He works a few of the old hits like Living in the Past and Locomotive Breath and Aqualung into the opera.

Bob Wood was with Christine and I and, with so much scenery on that screen and with visuals so much a part of the performance, Bob kept his eyes open the whole concert... a FIRST.  Ol' Bob usually closes his eyes when at concerts and he sometimes lapses into la la land.  He is known for his sleeping prowess.

The original Jethro Tull was an 18th century inventor-type who tinkered with agricultural implement inventions.  The opera that we attended last night was a "what if he were alive today" scenario and involved in GMO bioengineering.

Went to a Tull concert in D.C. somewhere around 1977 I guess, great show! (from what I remember....)
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 4:58 am

nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:

Went to a Tull concert in D.C. somewhere around 1977 I guess, great show! (from what I remember....)

The 70's.....much is blurred....but have heard stories and learned from documentaries....
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyTue Apr 19, 2016 1:18 pm

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:

The 70's.....much is blurred....but have heard stories and learned from documentaries....

ROFLMAO drunken drunken drunken drunken
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... EmptyFri Apr 22, 2016 12:34 pm

Pentatonix is a great group..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discrimination question.....     Discrimination question..... Empty

Back to top Go down

Discrimination question.....
Page 1 of 1