Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Junking Up the Beaches

Go down 
+4
hallmarkgrad
TEOTWAWKI
Eric
SheSurfs
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:39 pm

... or laser zappers...
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:02 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
As far as I know, there are no more four-wheelers that are with BP unless there has been a report of oil. I know the park biologist Ann, is there a few times a day to check nests, as is Ryan who works under the superintendent. There have been a team of biologists from the state around the last couple of weeks but they have been on foot.

What the heck is the deal with the wrecking of your place, Stormy? Mind me asking if it's a house or a condo?

No problem. I have a huge gulf front home right by the main access. It's extremely popular with the locals for showers, tourists for trampling the dunes.

I see the sheriff's office constantly running up and down the beach, but they are really slow to respond to a local complaint.

They have told me on occasion that they can't upset the tourists. One memorable occasion was when the people next door were blowing firecrackers nearly off my deck. They came, but did nothing.

I'm the last one to try and curtail the tourist trade as I need them to support my white elephant, but don't understand why we would need additional support.

From what I've seen the constant patrolling of the beach could be great if they would not be so limited in their scope.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:22 pm

Shoot some of those n'er-do-wells. You'll get some serious attention then!
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 pm

Maybe a scare crow...A redneck with a rebel flag will keep those Yankees off your dunes..
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 9:42 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Maybe a scare crow...A redneck with a rebel flag will keep those Yankees off your dunes..
\\

Now, why didn't I think of that?

Good to see you here!
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 10:03 pm

stormwatch89 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
\\

Good to see you here!

Or dress up one of your hounds like a Baskerville look a like and spread rumors of bodies torn limb to limb in your dunes.

Or post some of seaoats writings around your property and all the liberals will be entranced reading them and will leave charmed and unable to do further damage.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 11:24 pm

Stormy, one solution is more beach access points with properly constructed boardwalks, showers and bath houses with proper trash receptacles …but then draconian enforcement and fines for leaving trash, beach furniture, trampling the dunes or disturbing wildlife or nests. I tend to think that would eliminate some of the problems you are talking about.

With a small place on the beach (and I bounce around with the ethics of that ownership) that has many of the issues that you do as well, I'm coming to a new position in regards to our beaches.

My son (who thinks property should only have been developed landward of beach roads..wish he had been around thirty years ago) and I are working on an idea (in addition to what I mentioned above), in which all land a few feet seaward of a building including the primary and secondary dune lines would be given national refuge status. That would mean no one could walk on most dunes giving them a chance to rebuild and giving wildlife an undisturbed place to nest, rest and feed without the threat of humans or pets (I have four dogs so yes, challenging). Everything seaward would remain public and accessible.

The only beach access would be via marked paths or boardwalks. Only native vegetation plantings would be permitted on any land, privately owned or not, and use of fertilizers would be prohibited. If a protected species nested on the property, that area could be staked off and monitored for the duration of the nest.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:55 am

Many moons ago, the US Navy got tired of folks living on NAS Mainside and they developed Navy Point for those people to live upon.

The Navy did just what SheSurfs suggests... left the property seaward of the roads undeveloped. With paved trails, park areas, launch ramps, this is one of the most people-friendly areas in Escambia County.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:38 pm

It's NOT all tourists that are destroying things... One of the cops watched kids throw bottles off of the pier and smoke pot.. I asked him about it and he said "if I arrest them, daddy will have them out of jail before I get off work. I already arrested them twice".
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Eric, this is a recipe given to me by one of the best navy cooks I've known..  He cooked awesome soups.  He retired in 1993 and was hired as the head chef at the MGM Grand in Vegas..  He left after 6 months because it was the same thing over and over..  Now, he just cooks for his wife...  :-)

Minced beef for 100 servings.  I think dividing by 10 would be good for a few meals or it can be frozen..

Ground beef, 90% lean 20 lbs
Fresh chopped onions 2 1/8 lbs
Wheat flour 2 1/8 lbs
Canned crushed tomatoes 19 7/8 lbs INCLUDING liquid
Ground Mace 3/8 oz (Can substitute with nutmeg)
Salt 1 1/4 oz
Black ground pepper 1/8 oz

Cook beef with onions until beef loses it's pink color, stirring to break apart. Drain or skim off excess fat.
Sprinkle flour over beef, continue cooking until flour is absorbed.
Add tomatoes, mace, salt, and pepper. Stir well and simmer 10-15 minutes..
Minced beef can be served over toast, biscuits, rice, or pasta. I always put it on top of my fried eggs and broke the yolks..

Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:29 pm

She, it all sounds good, but really doesn't work. I'm on an access and my tenants still prefer to trample the dunes. Yes, despite sand fencing to inhibit same.

I've fought the beach for years and it's a no win. We put up a walkover years ago and wound up defending our right to do so because a couple on Maldonado said we blocked their view!

Until things change and the powers that be realize we now pay taxes and are basically now landowners, the situation is dim.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 8:23 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
stormwatch89 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:
\\

Good to see you here!

Or dress up one of your hounds like a Baskerville look a like and spread rumors of bodies torn limb to limb in your dunes.

Or post some of seaoats writings around your property and all the liberals will be entranced reading them and will leave charmed and unable to do further damage.

I've got a hound dog. You can borrow her. I think a good solution to the problem would be to simply post signs on the beach saying any personal goods, beach umbrellas included, will be collected overnight by a clean up crew and donated to charity for resale.
Then do it for a few days. There really is no reason to let this problem continue.
You're beach spot is only yours while you're sitting on it. When you're gone, it belongs to the public again.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:26 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Joani, I kid you not, I have four of these….got them from one of my grandmothers at some point.

Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 IMG_2199_zps41e2d6a9

My granny has a full "set" of these. My mom calls them "juice glasses" and I never questioned that until this very moment.

scratch 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Junking Up the Beaches   Junking Up the Beaches - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Junking Up the Beaches
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2