Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?

Go down 
+4
mediawatcher
nochain
SheSurfs
Eric
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? Empty
PostSubject: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 6:17 pm

I saw this on Facebook:

https://www.change.org/petitions/mayor-ashton-hayward-stop-the-no-blankets-for-the-homeless-ordinance
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 8:56 am

Yes, it's true. This has been in effect for some time and when it first happened they were taking tents and other belongings to send a message. What bothers me more is that when they sold the Waterfront Mission building downtown, and they moved their operation north, it gave the homeless downtown with very few options.

I suspect the mayor and his model wife don't think it is haute couture enough to be wrapped up. Like the SNL skit of Fernando Lamas, they ascribe the the theory, "It's better to look good than to feel good."

There are people who can't go to shelters for many reasons, including the one below. They should not be denied attempts to survive.

Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? Homeless_zps9617ca4f
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:12 am

That's just damn cruel and heartless.

Whomever is responsible for this should get a whippin'
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:13 am

That is ridiculous - I don't live in the "city" so I usually don't pay much attention to their antics but I hadn't heard of this. Some of these people have mental illnesses - is the city braintrust hoping they freeze to death???? Typical guvmint, pass an ordinance without offering an alternative. Opening a temporary cold weather shelter is cheaper than running a civic center and ball park. Oh wait......I forget their priorities.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:16 am

Moving the Waterfront Mission up near Town 'n Country is ridiculous.

I have my suspicions that there was some arm-twisting done to achieve that goal.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:28 am

Eric wrote:
Moving the Waterfront Mission up near Town 'n Country is ridiculous.  

I have my suspicions that there was some arm-twisting done to achieve that goal.

Closer to the jail? Away from the so-called "enlightened downtowners? Downtown P'cola is absolutely infested with lawyers - I would rather see some homeless folks strolling around than those blow-dried thieves.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 9:50 am

nochain wrote:
That is ridiculous - I don't live in the "city" so I usually don't pay much attention to their antics but I hadn't heard of this. Some of these people have mental illnesses - is the city braintrust hoping they freeze to death???? Typical guvmint, pass an ordinance without offering an alternative. Opening a temporary cold weather shelter is cheaper than running a civic center and ball park. Oh wait......I forget their priorities.

And there's a question why people are less and less trusting of government!...Embarrassing for this city...
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:08 am

The business owners down town do not want to see the homeless standing around on the sidewalks.. All it takes is 1 person asking for "gas money" or "something to eat" or "work for food" and it makes it hard for the rest of the homeless people who avoid the crowds and just want to be left alone.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 10:11 am

Absolutely it is true! It is due to a new city ordinance that was proposed by Mayor Hayward.

Here is information about the upcoming city council meeting scheduled for February 13 at 5:30 pm. The agenda includes an amendment to do away what has been termed the "no blanket ordinance."

https://www.facebook.com/events/666575433384704/
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 12:15 pm

Cruel and inhumane. Those folks should be ashamed of themselves.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 6:35 pm

So the mayor has now said after talking to his staff and praying on the matter, he has had a change of heart and wants this inhumane new ordinance revoked or changed. Funny he is trying to take credit for it when it's Sheri Meyers who is responsible for putting it back on the agenda.

I suspect his prayers were more about saving his own sinking political aspirations than his compassion towards the homeless.

http://ricksblog.biz/hayward-wants-change-his-homeless-ordinance/
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 8:47 pm

What an asshole. Hayward manages to make me angry every stinking time I read something about his sorry ass.

Sigh. Well, at least this this bit of inhumanity is going to stop.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Backpedaling in the name of God isn't one of my favorite sports, Riceme.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 9:04 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Backpedaling in the name of God isn't one of my favorite sports, Riceme.

I believe we understand each other, Surfs. Hypocrisy in the name of God is one of my least favorite sports.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 8:18 am

I think Hayward's change of heart was quite convenient.....for him.

A large number of citizens are planning to attend the council meeting on February 13 in support of the proposed change to the ordinance. Hayward knows this.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 8:25 am

And then there's this (a comment from the article on Rick's Blog):

"Between the lines" says:

February 7, 2014 at 7:03 pm

“Prayer”? Not hardly, more like “It’s an election year and the last guy who took on Nathan Monk over homelessness got clobbered at the polls”
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 6:46 pm

It's funny what a little public opinion will do.

Quote :
Press Release: Office of the Mayor to Sponsor Week Long Blanket Drive

Beginning Wednesday, Feb. 12, the Office of the Mayor will be sponsoring a week long blanket drive.

The blanket drive will begin tomorrow, Wednesday, February 12th and will continue through Wednesday, February 19th. On Thursday, February 20th, all donated blankets with be delivered to local shelters and missions.

Drop off boxes will be located on the first floor of City Hall at 222 W Main Street between the business hours of 8 am – 5 pm.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyTue Feb 11, 2014 7:27 pm

/Rolls eyes/
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 9:56 am

Eric wrote:
It's funny what a little public opinion will do.

Quote :
Press Release: Office of the Mayor to Sponsor Week Long Blanket Drive

Beginning Wednesday, Feb. 12, the Office of the Mayor will be sponsoring a week long blanket drive.

The blanket drive will begin tomorrow, Wednesday, February 12th and will continue through Wednesday, February 19th. On Thursday, February 20th, all donated blankets with be delivered to local shelters and missions.

Drop off boxes will be located on the first floor of City Hall at 222 W Main Street between the business hours of 8 am – 5 pm.

Well at least he's smart enough to know that his initial decision on this was unacceptable...and politicians can backtrack in order to attempt to save some face...
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Nathan Monk's change.org petition on this matter went viral. I was pleased when the petition reached 500 signatures. It now has over 10,000 signatures.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 4:16 pm

HI Eyeryone.  Sorry I have not been posting lately. Had a few issues but all is good,,,,,The Water front Rescue Missions only fault was being too close to the ballpark and the downtown elite.  They were blamed for many of the homeless people that were down town.  So Studer buys the Mission,demolishes the Mission for a parking lot and then moves the Mission  out of town.  But the issue is that the homeless problem is still there. They/we have a mess.  What could have been part of the solution is now part of the problem.  Studers name will never be brought in the discussion about the homeless.  What many said would happen, has happened.  Karma is a Bitch.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
HI Eyeryone.  Sorry I have not been posting lately. Had a few issues but all is good,,,,,The Water front Rescue Missions only fault was being too close to the ballpark and the downtown elite.  They were blamed for many of the homeless people that were down town.  So Studer buys the Mission,demolishes the Mission for a parking lot and  then moves the Mission  out of town.  But the issue  is that the homeless problem is still there.   They/we have a mess.  What could have been part of the solution is now part of the problem.  Studers name will never be brought in the discussion about the homeless.  What many said would happen, has happened.  Karma is a Bitch.

Hey Bubba! Good to see that you are still with us.

Let's try to get together this Saturday night if you are free.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:09 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
HI Eyeryone.  Sorry I have not been posting lately. Had a few issues but all is good,,,,,The Water front Rescue Missions only fault was being too close to the ballpark and the downtown elite.  They were blamed for many of the homeless people that were down town.  So Studer buys the Mission,demolishes the Mission for a parking lot and  then moves the Mission  out of town.  But the issue  is that the homeless problem is still there.   They/we have a mess.  What could have been part of the solution is now part of the problem.  Studers name will never be brought in the discussion about the homeless.  What many said would happen, has happened.  Karma is a Bitch.

Great post, HG... and great to see you  Smile 

Another salient point here is that in response to the lack of facilities for the homeless some folks got some money together and purchased private property for them to camp on... that's what we want, right?? For them to not tresspass on state or private property?? So now those good people are being wrapped up in red tape w/code enforcement and the health department, stall tactics to prevent the homeless from camping adjacent to a neighborhood. 

So, all things considered can someone please tell me, WHERE THE F*** ARE THEY SUPPOSED TO GO?? 

Hope everyone enjoys the godamned parking lot.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:15 pm

Ok I will check with the Boss in just a few. Thanks as always
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:25 pm

If you remember one of the selling points of the Ball park was that the property was over grown and full of Homeless people. So they clean up the property,which raises the question of why in the hell did the city let it get like that, then tell the homeless people to move on. Move to where? Did they really think they would magically just disappear, never to be a problem again? It is all part of a plan to rid the Downtown are of anyone except a for the "chosen" few. Note that with the closing of Hallmark elementary there are NO public schools near the downtown area. And yet we are supposed to not notice this and just pretend every thing just great.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?   Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is it true that homeless cannot use a blanket to keep warm?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next