Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! Empty
PostSubject: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 12:45 pm

Just a reminder, guys. :-)

Here is a good article from Rick's Blog:

http://ricksblog.biz/buzz-homeless-advocates-expected-to-show-in-numbers-at-pensacola-city-council-meeting/

Nathan Monk's petition now has over 13,000 signatures.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! Empty
PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Melissa, I will be there with you in spirit, with a blanket over my shoulders and combat boots on my feet.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 3:15 pm

Is the petition online? Can you link to it please?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 4:38 pm

Nevermind, Melissa... I found it, signed it and forwarded it.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:07 am

Thanks for signing, Riceme. I was on my way to the meeting when you requested a link to the petition.

Here is a synopsis of the meeting that I just posted elsewhere:

It was a great meeting!

Yes, they overturned the blanket ordinance, but the rest of the ordinance remains on the books thanks to Jewel Canada-Wynn, Andy Terhaar and Brian Spencer. The vote was 4-3 in favor of doing away with the ordinance completely, but Messer, the city attorney, determined that five votes in favor were necessary to repeal the entire ordinance.

Neither Megan Pratt nor P.C. Wu attended the meeting. And of course, Mayor Hayward was in absentia.

It was getting a little hairy after the vote to repeal the entire ordinance didn't pass in spite of the majority of the council members being in favor of same. A forum member, Teo, captured the mood of the audience well in a video. I will post it in a moment.

I wish I knew more about the composition of the new Task Force. Written information about the task force was not distributed to the audience.

All in all, we met two goals last night: Repeal of the blanket ordinance and the official formation of the task force.

Last edited by Melissa on Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am

Here is Teo's video:

Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:29 am

Thank you for the info, Melissa. I'm going to have to take my laptop to town to watch the video... I am on my phone from home and my connection is tenuous at best. 

Very disappointing to hear that so many could not see their way clear to be in attendance last night and that the ordinances in their entirety were not wiped done away with.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:44 am

Riceme, the seats in the council meeting chamber were almost full at one point and some were standing. I think it was a great turnout! Many people wore blankets over their shoulders in support. It was balm to my old rebel soul, I gotta tell ya! I was especially thrilled to see so many young people standing up for their convictions.

In a few years, I expect to see some of those young ones occupying seats on the city council. It gives me hope for the future of our city.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:48 am

The mayor, who was absent of course, appointed Nathan Monk to the new task force. Based on Nathan's reaction, I don't think he knew about the appointment.

Sherri Myers was passionate in her plea that the task force include some of the other people who spoke during the evening rather than appointing only representatives of various organizations (United Way, the Pensacola Housing department, etc.)

I left the meeting with even greater respect for councilwoman Sherri Myers. I wish she would run for mayor.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:53 am

Okay, I have to brag here. I thought I was dragging my poor husband to this meeting. I was wrong.

Unbeknownst to me, he signed up to speak. He, however, did not wear a blanket to the meeting. As he was walking to the speaker's podium, he stopped and asked Nathan Monk if he could borrow his blanket.  Very Happy That was a crowd pleaser, for sure!

I was so proud of my husband!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:54 am

That is great to hear, Melissa. I should have been more clear above... when I said it was disappointing that so many could not see their way clear to be in attendance I was referring to the mayor and council members. Can't you read my mind??? lol
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:56 am

riceme wrote:
That is great to hear, Melissa. I should have been more clear above... when I said it was disappointing that so many could not see their way clear to be in attendance I was referring to the mayor and council members. Can't you read my mind??? lol

Hahahaaa!!!! No, I thought you were talking about the audience. My mind-reading skills are currently under reconstruction.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 10:58 am

Melissa wrote:
Okay, I have to brag here. I thought I was dragging my poor husband to this meeting. I was wrong.

Unbeknownst to me, he signed up to speak. He, however, did not wear a blanket to the meeting. As he was walking to the speaker's podium, he stopped and asked Nathan Monk if he could borrow his blanket.  Very Happy That was a crowd pleaser, for sure!

Damn. Now *I'm* proud of him, too! Give him a big hug and a smooch from me!! I wish I could have been there.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 11:01 am

riceme wrote:
Melissa wrote:

Damn. Now *I'm* proud of him, too! Give him a big hug and a smooch from me!! I wish I could have been there.

Will do! Right now!

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! EmptyFri Feb 14, 2014 12:10 pm

Appointing Nathan Monk reminds me of:

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer”

― Sun Tzu
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!   City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall! Empty

Back to top Go down

City Council meeting re: the blanket ordinance tonight at 5:30 pm at City Hall!
Page 1 of 1