Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gonna be COLD Tuesday...

Go down 
+6
Joanimaroni
SheSurfs
mediawatcher
Jake92
Melissa
Eric
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Damn, I guess I know where our winter went! It was hovering just above and below freezing here for a couple days... I have to admit that it was really nice to see and feel the sunshine. The snow and ice melted out of all the tree canopies, so if I look out the window from my bed while the sun is up, it looks like it might be fall outside, haha. The roads are a disaster because it melted the snow into ice and the graders can't get the ice up off the road surface. Hope it warms up for you all soon.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 3:35 pm

We will be leaving all of our outside spigots on tomorrow night (Tuesday.) We also let the water drip, drip, drip on all of our inside faucets.

We figure a higher water bill is better than hiring a plumber.  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 3:38 pm

Hey....Escambia County has declared a state of emergency from Tuesday afternoon through Thursday midnight. All schools and county office buildings will be closed tomorrow and Wednesday.

Word is to prepare for possible power outages due to iced up cables and power lines. I hope everyone has gas heat or a fireplace!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 3:44 pm

I just heard the base is probably closing also... I was just outside in a t-shirt and it's NOT cold out.. Looks like a little panic to me, just like starting hurricane evacuations 3 days before a minor tropical storm..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 4:40 pm

I'm kinda sorry that I left my generator in Pensacola.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Mine is in the garage, ready to go..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 8:24 am

How are you all doing? Staying warm, I hope?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am

It's 21 degrees in Hoover and with a light snow. The wood stove is lit and a chicken is in the pot, simmering for a soup this evening.

All is good.

Y'all hunker down in P'cola. You cannot see the ice on the road and those people don't know how to drive in icy conditions.

Take care.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 9:57 am

That is true... those people do not know how to drive in foul weather. Dang, be careful, everyone! Are you getting ice rain? Snow? Damn, ice rain sucks. I hope everyone's okay!!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:01 am

The north end of the county is supposed to get a more snowy mix. The south end is supposed to get more ice with snow on the tail end of it.

Where I am, it is just a light to medium snow that is just barely covering the ground now. I don't think it will last long.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:25 am

Pensacola's store shelves right now, lol.

Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 XGYFzcG
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:30 am

OMG!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:36 am

The birds are still coming to feed.  I try to keep the rail on the deck covered with wild bird seed.

Ricey, I just pulled that grocery store pic off the 'net.  The poster said something like "This is how we treat cold weather in the South.".

Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 Snow10
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:50 am

Oh, lol... see I totally believed you because I saw how you all respond to weather, haha! Wink
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 10:53 am

I'll be the milk cooler looks similar to the bread aisle.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 11:48 am

Eric wrote:
I'll be the milk cooler looks similar to the bread aisle.

I'd wager the milk wall in that store is empty, lol.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 12:06 pm

I was just outside and it was just a very light sprinkle that's not freezing YET.. 2 thermometers outside say 32 and 26.. LOL
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 12:19 pm

We have had about an inch of snow so far.

My wife's office told their employees that they can go home.  She got into line trying to get out of the parking deck and the line didn't move. The interstate in Birmingham has a preponderance of overpasses and overpasses tend to ice over. Traffic is at a standstill in Birmingham.

She went back into the building... "maybe later" she said.

Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 Snow210
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 1:24 pm

I just drove home from Milton and my windshield wipers became useless balls of ice. I lived up North for years and never seen that happen, or at least I don't remember it.

Look I got Ice Cycles

Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 Cicles10
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 1:35 pm

Birmingham hasn't made such a weather screw-up since 1982! It wasn't supposed to snow here very much... if at all.

Snow is still falling and the TV is showing traffic jams everywhere! Front wheel drive cars seem to have a better go of it and pickup trucks with empty beds are just spinning their back wheels, not going anywhere. Four-wheel drives seem to be chugging along. There are two "mountains" in Birmingham and lots of hills. They're calling it a "civil emergency".

The TV shows cars stopped and pointing every which-a-way.

People are abandoning their cars and walking to find shelter. Hotels are booked solid.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 1:44 pm

I bet there will be lots of wrecks caused by idiots speeding so they can beat the snow home.. I remember when we had flurries in P'cola and idiots were passing me like I was standing still on I-10.. A little way ahead, they were off of the road in the ditch or median.. Even a few state trooper cars were in the median.. The secret is to be very smooth and avoid sudden moves or actions like braking..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Eric wrote:
Birmingham hasn't made such a weather screw-up since 1982!  It wasn't supposed to snow here very much... if at all.

Snow is still falling and the TV is showing traffic jams everywhere!  Front wheel drive cars seem to have a better go of it and pickup trucks with empty beds are just spinning their back wheels, not going anywhere.  Four-wheel drives seem to be chugging along.  There are two "mountains" in Birmingham and lots of hills.  They're calling it a "civil emergency".

The TV shows cars stopped and pointing every which-a-way.

People are abandoning their cars and walking to find shelter.  Hotels are booked solid.

I'm sorry... is it wrong of me to laugh??
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 2:22 pm

NO, it's NOT wrong of you to laugh because you are laughing with them, not at them personally.. LOL
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 4:14 pm

riceme wrote:
I'm sorry... is it wrong of me to laugh??

Not at all, Ricey.

The snow has ended here... maybe we got around 2-3 inches.

People are reporting that I-20 that heads to Atlanta is backed up on the Westbound side from Atlanta to Birmingham and not moving. That's normally a 2-hour drive... in GOOD conditions.

The problem is that the ground was above 32 degrees and the first snow melted and refroze into ice as more snow dropped and the temperature dropped. It is now in the teens here.

Christine is going to spend the night at her office in the city. It is the smart thing to do.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 28, 2014 4:22 pm

You should stay home and off of the roads too Eric..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Gonna be COLD Tuesday...
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next