Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gonna be COLD Tuesday...

Go down 
+6
Joanimaroni
SheSurfs
mediawatcher
Jake92
Melissa
Eric
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Gonna be COLD Tuesday... Empty
PostSubject: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 5:22 pm

They're saying our HIGH in Birmingham will be 33 and the low will be 13!

Woah! Gonna be COLD Tuesday... 13
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:58 am

Don't forget to leave those pipes dripping!

One year I forgot to cover my outdoor faucets. Yep, they broke. :-(
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 6:08 pm

If we're talking about next Tuesday now- the 7th, it's supposed to be down to 19 here in Pensacola. I'm thinking you'll be a lot colder next week than this one Eric.
19 here might be about 8 up there.

Brrrrrr.......
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:54 pm

Otter wrote:
If we're talking about next Tuesday now- the 7th, it's supposed to be down to 19 here in Pensacola. I'm thinking you'll be a lot colder next week than this one Eric.
19 here might be about 8 up there.

Brrrrrr.......

I was talking about Birmingham for NEXT Tuesday. They're now saying 8-13 for Monday night's low... in Birmingham.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 9:58 am

LOL- well I'll just enjoy the balmy Florida weather down here then.
19 compared to 8 to 13 sounds like a good day to invite some tourists down from your area.
You're welcome if you decide to come on down to Flawda for the week!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyFri Jan 03, 2014 11:40 am

My dang bird bath has ice in it today... LOL
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptySun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 pm

There is a 70% chance of snow in Birmingham tonight and Monday's high is 22.

I can see Ricey reading this and YAWN, thinking that we're a bunch of greenhorns... jocolor 
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 2:41 pm

Eric wrote:
They're saying our HIGH in Birmingham will be 33 and the low will be 13!

Woah!  Gonna be COLD Tuesday... 13

Global Freezing as feared in the 70's!....Hurry up Al could be another NPP....
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 12:07 am

Gee, they cancelled school in Baldwin County, AL tomorrow. Apparently 'Bama folks have delicate constitutions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 7:26 pm

I decided to resurrect this thread since it's gonna be cold Tuesday again. They're saying a baby brother polar vortex is coming back down to visit us then. Enough with these things. I just got a fresh haircut and my neck will be cold. Bad timing all around.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:32 pm

Thanks for the heads up, Otter. I am currently looking around the house to see where I left all my bad words so I can have them handy and ready to use when the cold air hits.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 8:41 pm

The Northern Jet Stream isn't supposed to dip as far South as the last Polar Vortex. It is mainly going to affect the Northern tier of U.S. states.

For Pensacola, the Tuesday high is projected to be 55° and a low of 25°... still a hard freeze. A low of 21 for us up here in Hoover. The main difference between Hoover and Pensacola is the high. Our high on Tuesday will only be 39°. That's cold for a HIGH.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:24 pm

Well Eric, I lost the whole house to the freeze a few weeks ago so I have to swaddle everything like baby Jesus this time around. It's the wind chill that iced up the pipes near the water main.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptySun Jan 19, 2014 9:43 pm

At our Pensacola house, we wrapped all the sprinkler system pipes with foam and covered it with two layers of fabric. The outermost layer was a waterproof tarp. We left the pump motor to the open air. There is no water in that and I believe it needs ventilation to keep from overheating.

Most of the water lines are in the attic with probably 2 feet of insulation over them. They aren't going to freeze. I worry about the outside spigots, though.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 7:16 pm

Too many laws, ordinances and codes drive me crazy but the south really seems to ask for them more than any other region in the country. I have lived in colder and warmer climates and nowhere are the codes regarding home insulation as part of energy efficiency plans so lax.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 pm

They are more concerned about roofs and things that can be damaged by the hurricanes.. I worked on many houses and the inspectors rarely got out of their car to sign a work permit hanging on the building.. In over a year, I only saw them get out of the car 3 times.. I have NO confidence in the Escambia County inspectors.. They did inspect my house 2 times for Rebuild NW Florida, and then 2 years later for the insurance who didn't accept their inspection when the job was completed..

A friend in Clarksville, TN had a new house built 3 years ago and the pipes in the outside walls froze a few weeks ago.. Looks like P'cola inspectors work there too..
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 8:27 pm

Jake92 wrote:
 I have NO confidence in the Escambia County inspectors..  They did inspect my house 2 times for Rebuild NW Florida, and then 2 years later for the insurance who didn't accept their inspection when the job was completed..

A friend in Clarksville, TN had a new house built 3 years ago and the pipes in the outside walls froze a few weeks ago..  Looks like P'cola inspectors work there too..

I have no confidence in them either. Apparently, in the house I am currently in, there was no attic insulation in about half of it when it was purchased. It appeared that it was sprayed only near the attic opening. Either they knew they were going to be short of material or intentionally did it that way in case an inspector did a cursory look around. When it was caught, the current owners claimed to not have noticed which I guess is possible as who would eat the energy loss? It's another pet peeve of mine that insulation under raised buildings seems to be so lousy down here.

My neighbors said they have now paid more in water line damage from the last freeze than they did in Ivan.

I guess we live in such a transient society that first owners are not very interested in invisible costs like insulation and good plumbing but as the daughter of a man who built and designed and entire dream house as his retirement plan, those types of considerations were indoctrinated into me pretty early. Like he said, "You can buy your fancy sofa next year with the money you save in heating bills this year."  cheers 
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:39 pm

I was a septic tank inspector and supervisor of inspectors.  I worked in the same office as the Escambia County inspectors and we shared the same radio system.  I knew all of them in the 1980's.

Wendell Bilby, the VA inspector, did a great job.  

But I have been on a job site and witnessed an Escambia County Plumbing inspector get out of his car and slap a green sticker (passing) on a rough-in plumbing riser without even looking at the piping that would now be covered with a concrete slab.  Some inspectors did their jobs, some didn't.

I was slated to interview for Environmental Health Director for Santa Rosa County and the septic tank contractors got together and lobbied against me getting the job.  I wasn't too pissed because I knew in my heart that I was doing my job as an inspector and didn't let them get away with screwing homeowners. Was I a hard-ass? You're damn right I was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 7:57 pm

Here's a question. Do they have roofing inspectors that go around and check to see if roofing contractors do their jobs right or not? The reason I'm asking is I had an Owens-Corning roof put on right after Ivan that was quaranteed for 50 years (product only,of course.) Now,9 years later we're springing small leaks all over the house. I can't imagine that happening if it was installed correctly.
I called the company that installed it today, and of course there was only a 5 year warranty on labor, so it's going to cost me for them to even let me know what needs doing.
Not the kind of expense you want once you're already retired.
I thought a 50 year roof would last longer then I would.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 7:47 am

Maybe it's not the installation, Otter. Could be defective?

Google it. For starters:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeowners/owens_corning_shingles.html
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Owens-Corning-Roofing-is-Garbage/316419855126378

Last edited by SheSurfs on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 am

If the roofing material is bad, maybe there is a class action lawsuit you can join.

It has been twenty-five years since I was an inspector and don't remember roofing permits specifically. Escambia County probably requires a permit and an inspection though.

Sorry that your roof is having problems. We did the same thing a few years back... had a 35-year roof installed a year before Ivan. Thankfully, we didn't lose a shingle.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:51 am

Check the ridge-vent and your gutters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 9:08 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
Check the ridge-vent and your gutters.

That's our next idea. The spots are so small and don't seem to come back in the same place. Could be the wind blowing rain up under the ridge vent or trash up there filtering water in somewhere. I hope that's all it is. I called the original company that installed it and of course they haven't phoned me back yet.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyThu Jan 23, 2014 6:21 pm

They're predicting a low of 8-11 degrees tonight here in Hoover with a high of 32. I am running our wood stove and it is toasty warm inside the house, but I am NOT going to get up after midnight to stoke that damn thing. I like to sleep in a cold bedroom anyway. And I don't like it warm when I exercise in the morning anyway. From then on, though, I like it warm!

They're saying that it'll be in the single digits next Thursday morning... again.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... EmptyMon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 am

Get ready for round 3... coming this week. From NorthEscambia.com

Gonna be COLD Tuesday... Winter10

Today: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 59. Light and variable wind becoming north 5 to 10 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Tonight: A chance of rain before 3am, then a chance of rain or freezing rain. Cloudy, with a low around 29. Wind chill values between 20 and 25. North wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday: A chance of freezing rain and sleet before 9am, then a chance of rain or freezing rain between 9am and noon, then freezing rain and sleet after noon. High near 34. Wind chill values between 20 and 25. North wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Little or no ice accumulation expected. New sleet accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tuesday Night: Freezing rain and sleet before midnight, then snow and sleet likely. Low around 24. Wind chill values between 15 and 20. North wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Wednesday: A chance of snow, freezing rain, and sleet before noon. Partly sunny, with a high near 35. North wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 19. North wind around 5 mph.
Thursday: Sunny, with a high near 51. North wind around 5 mph becoming southeast in the afternoon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gonna be COLD Tuesday...   Gonna be COLD Tuesday... Empty

Back to top Go down

Gonna be COLD Tuesday...
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next