Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The new forum

Go down 
+3
Eric
Admin
TEOTWAWKI
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

The new forum - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The new forum   The new forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 5:42 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Eric....the following was posted by Tom Hutson from the Surfers group on FB. I will send you the link. Tom Grow was the one to whom I was referring There is nothing better than the shaping shacks around the country. i remember learning basics in a friend's garage not far from Pepperdine U. Anyway here is the post:

My grandparents started Hutson Hardware around 1959. The Waters family bought it sometime in the 60's. They broadened the inventory by including art supplies, surfboards, skateboards, Birdwell Beach Britches, and more. They made it into quite a store. Tom Grow recently told me that he and Scott Bush made some of the first boards in the back. Eventually Brian Waters took over the factory and changed the name to Islander Surfboards. Islander was a very popular local name in the 70's and 80's. Janet Waters took over the skate shop.

BTW, all that chest hair had to be brutal in the surf wax, LOLOLOL.

Nice shots, Joani. Looks like perfect Rincon surf.

Birdwell beach britches... now that sure shakes up the cobwebs in my head. I used to like them. Mr. Waters kept the hardware store stocked for many years, while they sold art supplies and surf stuff. I didn't work much at the surf shop, but it was in 1970 or 1971, when Brian was fairly new at doing everything by himself... shaping and glassing. I used to buy foam blanks from them and shape, glass, and finish them myself. My daddy owned a fiberglass shop when he had Holiday Harbor Marina and that's where I built boards for friends and family... and lots of ding repairs... but never for a profit.

Yeah, I went through a lot of wax sunny sunny
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: The new forum   The new forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 5:51 pm

Mr Waters knew every type of faucet or spigot ever made. Plus he stocked the parts to fix them. The House on K st was built in 1938. One day I needed some part for the kitchen faucet. I showed Mr Walters the Parts and I swear to God this is what he said. "Oh that is a old faucet. Do you live near Legion field? They used a lot of this brand in that area back in the 40s and 50s.". Hell of a good guy.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The new forum   The new forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:34 pm

For all you surfers among us. I saw on the Channel 3 news at 5PM that the Pensacola Museum of Art is having a Pensacola surfing history exhibit that will be on display until September 1st.

http://www.pensacolamuseumofart.org/
Back to top Go down
https://pensacoladaily.forumotion.com
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The new forum   The new forum - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:35 pm

Admin wrote:
For all you surfers among us. I saw on the Channel 3 news at 5PM that the Pensacola Museum of Art is having a Pensacola surfing history exhibit that will be on display until September 1st.

http://www.pensacolamuseumofart.org/

Olddaze has been promoting that exhibit on the PNJ for a while.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: The new forum   The new forum - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 04, 2012 5:21 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Eric....the following was posted by Tom Hutson from the Surfers group on FB. I will send you the link. Tom Grow was the one to whom I was referring There is nothing better than the shaping shacks around the country. i remember learning basics in a friend's garage not far from Pepperdine U. Anyway here is the post:

My grandparents started Hutson Hardware around 1959. The Waters family bought it sometime in the 60's. They broadened the inventory by including art supplies, surfboards, skateboards, Birdwell Beach Britches, and more. They made it into quite a store. Tom Grow recently told me that he and Scott Bush made some of the first boards in the back. Eventually Brian Waters took over the factory and changed the name to Islander Surfboards. Islander was a very popular local name in the 70's and 80's. Janet Waters took over the skate shop.

BTW, all that chest hair had to be brutal in the surf wax, LOLOLOL.

Nice shots, Joani. Looks like perfect Rincon surf.

It is Rincon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The new forum   The new forum - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The new forum
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2