Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs Empty
PostSubject: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptySat Apr 06, 2013 1:31 pm

http://www.northescambia.com/2013/04/navy-federal-announces-1500-new-jobs

Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs Navyfed1

Quote :
Navy Federal Credit Union announced Wednesday it will expand its corporate operations in Beulah, bringing new building construction and 1,500 new jobs to the region. Construction is planned to start in late 2013, including buildings on the 240 acre former Langley Bell 4-H Center property purchased last year by Navy Federal for $3.6 million.

“Providing the best possible service to our members is our first priority. Our Pensacola expansion is key to supporting the credit union’s strong growth and an important way for us to continue delivering outstanding service,” said Cutler Dawson, president and CEO of the credit union. “We’re proud to be a part of the economic growth for the area.”

Navy Federal’s next phase of growth in Beulah involves the construction of two new buildings, totaling 342,300 square feet at its Greater Pensacola Operations campus. Upon completion, 1,500 corporate and operational jobs will be created. Capital investments for the expansion will exceed $200 million, and also include constructing a central energy plant, auditorium, parking structure and recreation area.

What pisses me off about this is that the 4-H kids were shoved off a beautiful piece of land for this because it was adjacent and there was no other room for expansion. A DAMN LIE! They said all along that the adjacent land next door that is a Navy OLF just wasn't available. I read this last week were there is talk of developing that OLF... wait a minute... that land isn't available, or is it?

It's a damn shame that the kids lost that property and are forced to use unsuitable property off Stefani Road. Typical effing Escambia County power brokers... screwing and lying to people while chasing the almighty dollar.

Okay, here's where I eat some crow. I cannot find any news articles that discuss the OLF... but I SWEAR I read about it's potential for development. Or was I dreaming?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Didn't the 4-H Club sell it to Navy Federal? Sorry, I really am not up to date on this. I do remember reading that Navy Federal wanted the land and there was discussion on the forums about whether the 4-H club should sell it to them. But this wasn't a forced taking of the land from the kids, was it?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:06 pm

nekochan wrote:
Didn't the 4-H Club sell it to Navy Federal? Sorry, I really am not up to date on this. I do remember reading that Navy Federal wanted the land and there was discussion on the forums about whether the 4-H club should sell it to them. But this wasn't a forced taking of the land from the kids, was it?

The kids were SHAMED into voting for the County to sell the land. They were going to be scapegoats for killing new jobs for the people. They capitulated to the overwhelming pressure to vote to sell. The extension service oversees the 4-H club and moved them next to the extension service to an unsuitable, much smaller site. For instance, it isn't suitable for livestock as it is much closer to a residential area. The 4-H kids got screwed.

They were looking at a suitable property in the North End of the county, but apparently, it has not been purchased as a replacement.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:40 pm

I thought at the time that the kids might not know enough to make a decision like that.
How much money did Navy Federal pay for the land and how much land is it?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Eric wrote:
nekochan wrote:

The kids were SHAMED into voting for the County to sell the land. They were going to be scapegoats for killing new jobs for the people. They capitulated to the overwhelming pressure to vote to sell. The extension service oversees the 4-H club and moved them next to the extension service to an unsuitable, much smaller site. For instance, it isn't suitable for livestock as it is much closer to a residential area. The 4-H kids got screwed.

They were looking at a suitable property in the North End of the county, but apparently, it has not been purchased as a replacement.

Several years back we were also forced to sell our ag farm, which was shared by both the local 4H and FFA clubs. Tragically, we were forced to sell to a powerful local real estate @55#013 for development of a damned TRAILER PARK. The only GOOD part is that even after we were forced to sell -- which resulted in destroying the local FFA program, which is amazing in such a tremendously agricultural town -- the city stopped the development of the trailer park. I get angry every time I think about us no longer having an FFA program here... and the only 4H opportunities that are left are to pen your animals at your home. Sad and infuriating.

Mad Mad Mad Mad Mad
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:30 pm

nekochan wrote:
I thought at the time that the kids might not know enough to make a decision like that.
How much money did Navy Federal pay for the land and how much land is it?

I'll have to search and find out. I will have a report on it in the morning if all goes right. I could take a guess, but it might be way off.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:34 am

The Old 4-H center - the Langley Bell 4-H Center on 9-Mile Road, next to the Navy Federal Property, was 240 acres and sold for $3.6 Million.

The "Bayer Crop Science Facility" property that was talked about as a substitute is located in Molino, Fla. at 2996 Crabtree Church Road and consists of 250 acres. The 250 acres stretches from Crabtree Church Road north to Highway 97 near Molino Park Elementary School. It is settled in a rural agricultural area not enclosed by surrounding urban development. It hosts over 4,100 square feet of greenhouses, three irrigation ponds, three buildings, three storage barns, a weather station, and complete acreage is fenced in with security gate.

Only time will tell if the 4-H club will get a suitable replacement for the beautiful, rolling, wooded site off 9-Mile Road. It is my understanding that the Extension Service has moved them under their wing off Stefani Road. The longer they stay there, the harder it will be to move them to suitable property.

I would LOVE to see my pessimistic view shot down. I don't have any dogs in this fight, but I know how that old property looked and it will be very hard to replace it.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 10:44 am

An update from NorthEscambia.com

http://www.northescambia.com/2013/04/decades-of-4-h-activities-come-to-an-end-in-beulah

Decades Of 4-H Activities Come To An End In Beulah
Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs Langleybell22

Quote :
The 20th Annual Spring Livestock Show Saturday was most likely the last one to ever be held at the Langley Bell 4-H Center on Nine Mile Road after the sale of the property to Navy Federal.

Saturday was an emotional day for the 4-H kids and adults as they dedicated the Bobby Gindl Memorial Hog Barn on the property — even though it will likely never be used again, perhaps even razed by Navy Federal as they expand. Gindl, who passed away unexpectedly in November at the age of 54, taught agriculture for 30 years. He was also the leader of the Barrineau Park 4-H Club, the oldest continuing 4-H Club in the state of Florida. He spent most of his life involved in 4-H, and took part in activities for many years at Langley Bell.

The children and teens on the 4-H County Council were the ones that voted to sell their 240 acres to the credit union. Navy Federal paid $3.6 million for the property next to the credit union’s campus in Beulah. $2 million of the sale proceeds were placed in an endowment fund for 4-H, and $1.6 million was reserved for 4-H to use under the guidance of UF/IFAS for a property including livestock facilities.

The children were promised a new piece of property comparable to Langley Bell, according to Escambia Commissioner Wilson Robertson, who also serves on the 4-H Foundation board. IFAS as assembled committees to research pros and cons of particular properties. The committees are still in the decision making process.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 2:20 pm

I wish them the best. I really don't think kids should be making that kind of important decision. But I am not sure that I blame Navy Federal for it. I guess I'm a little partial because we've banked with Navy Federal for over 30 years and have always had excellent service.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:08 pm

nekochan wrote:
I wish them the best. I really don't think kids should be making that kind of important decision. But I am not sure that I blame Navy Federal for it. I guess I'm a little partial because we've banked with Navy Federal for over 30 years and have always had excellent service.

Neko, it wasn't like the kids cooked up the deal and tied all the loose ends. I think the bylaws/charter (whatever) suggested that the kids give their okay if the property was to be sold.

The deal probably could have happened without their blessing. I think the County bigwigs breathed a collective sigh of relief when the kids acquiesced.

I'll bet that the power brokers had contingency plans to sell it anyway, but it would have been a politician's nightmare.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Eric wrote:
An update from NorthEscambia.com

http://www.northescambia.com/2013/04/decades-of-4-h-activities-come-to-an-end-in-beulah

Decades Of 4-H Activities Come To An End In Beulah
Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs Langleybell22

Quote :
The 20th Annual Spring Livestock Show Saturday was most likely the last one to ever be held at the Langley Bell 4-H Center on Nine Mile Road after the sale of the property to Navy Federal.

Saturday was an emotional day for the 4-H kids and adults as they dedicated the Bobby Gindl Memorial Hog Barn on the property — even though it will likely never be used again, perhaps even razed by Navy Federal as they expand. Gindl, who passed away unexpectedly in November at the age of 54, taught agriculture for 30 years. He was also the leader of the Barrineau Park 4-H Club, the oldest continuing 4-H Club in the state of Florida. He spent most of his life involved in 4-H, and took part in activities for many years at Langley Bell.

The children and teens on the 4-H County Council were the ones that voted to sell their 240 acres to the credit union. Navy Federal paid $3.6 million for the property next to the credit union’s campus in Beulah. $2 million of the sale proceeds were placed in an endowment fund for 4-H, and $1.6 million was reserved for 4-H to use under the guidance of UF/IFAS for a property including livestock facilities.

The children were promised a new piece of property comparable to Langley Bell, according to Escambia Commissioner Wilson Robertson, who also serves on the 4-H Foundation board. IFAS as assembled committees to research pros and cons of particular properties. The committees are still in the decision making process.

Thank you for your concern over this issue and for keeping us updated. This is a hot-button issue for me because of what happened to our ag program locally, knowing that my life would not be the same... I would not be the same person with the same work ethics without the wonderful experiences I had growing my own small business when I was in 4H and FFA.

As I understand it the reason our FFA program was cut (leaving the 4H kids with no ag farm) was because our school district (which only includes schools in our town) had to cut programs that they did not consider to have academic significance. Clearly the people doing the cutting have no idea that what they teach us is not just animal husbandry, but much much more. Perhaps they should have cut the football program instead since they were looking to axe non academic programs. Oh, but no... we've been CIF champions for decades running. That would never do...

Mad

I really, really hope that this Commissioner Wilson Robertson fella and the folks serving on the foundation really do have the kids' best interests at heart and are going to get them a COMPARABLE piece of property... meaning equivalent or better for their purposes, and are keeping in mind all the different things that COULD be done with that much land and a good 4H program.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:32 pm

Eric wrote:
nekochan wrote:

Neko, it wasn't like the kids cooked up the deal and tied all the loose ends. I think the bylaws/charter (whatever) suggested that the kids give their okay if the property was to be sold.

The deal probably could have happened without their blessing. I think the County bigwigs breathed a collective sigh of relief when the kids acquiesced.

I'll bet that the power brokers had contingency plans to sell it anyway, but it would have been a politician's nightmare.

Yessir, EE... that would be the way it would work. We (4H & FFA folks) operate using Parliamentary Procedure (and we compete at state & national levels. It don't get much more "academic" than that! I know, now I'm just being bitchy... you can ignore that, lol), so that's the basis the 4H club would have used to vote on the matter.

I would be very surprised (not to mention extremely pissed off) if I learned that the deal went down without an approving vote by the members of the 4-H club, AFTER having the ins and outs, ramifications, etc. explained to them by someone who could break it down into terms that young kids can understand. Some of the members are pretty young... program includes ages 5 - 19.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:44 pm

I just remember reading that the kids would be the ones to decide whether to sell or not. I wasn't sure that was a good idea but I've never been a 4 H member so I don't know how it works. Even if they understand the basics of what they are deciding about, I'm not sure that an average 12 or 13 year old really understands how much (or how little) 3.6 million dollars is. And the long term ramifications of selling or not selling.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:50 pm

riceme wrote:

I would be very surprised (not to mention extremely pissed off) if I learned that the deal went down without an approving vote by the members of the 4-H club, AFTER having the ins and outs, ramifications, etc. explained to them by someone who could break it down into terms that young kids can understand. Some of the members are pretty young... program includes ages 5 - 19.

Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs Gangst10

I suspect that they had an offer prepared that the 4-H'ers couldn't refuse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:53 pm

If that land has old oaks, etc, I hope Navy Federal doesn't chop them all down as seems to be the case when construction is started on anything now days.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:18 pm

nekochan wrote:
If that land has old oaks, etc, I hope Navy Federal doesn't chop them all down as seems to be the case when construction is started on anything now days.

There were some big oaks, but it is mostly pine trees.

The complex at the lower left is all Navy Federal buildings.

Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs 4-h10
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 1:44 am

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs Gangst10

I suspect that they had an offer prepared that the 4-H'ers couldn't refuse.

No doubt you are correct, sir.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 am

Eric wrote:
nekochan wrote:

There were some big oaks, but it is mostly pine trees.

The complex at the lower left is all Navy Federal buildings.

If they're smart they can plan to save and harvest for use at the expansion the existing trees.

For example (and they are not by far the only people to have done this), when my folks planned where to set our house on the property, they put it in a spot that was not simply planned to be situated "perfectly" for the main road, property and the circular roads that go all around the house and the property, but also so they would have to cut down the fewest possible blue oaks. The home has a wrap-around deck around ~2/3 of it, and dad estimated (very well, in fact!) how the trees would grow and we put holes in the roof above those trees so they didn't have to be cut down, then helped "train" them to grow up through the roof if they were not already big enough to go through the roof. The oaks they DID have to cut down, my folks ran through their sawmill, kiln dried, and all of that lumber is now what makes up the flooring of their entire home. I've seen businesses do similar things, even leaving existing trees inside the main building/s.

Not such a big deal for the type of pines that might likely be growing there, but certainly an issue for any existing oaks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs   Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs Empty

Back to top Go down

Navy Federal Announces 1,500 New Jobs
Page 1 of 1