Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine Empty
PostSubject: Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine   Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 12:02 pm

Wired.com article here

The Teen Brain “Shuts Down” When It Hears Mom’s Criticism

Just a small portion of the article:
Quote :
...Here’s the main take-away: when listening to Moms’ criticism, and for a period afterwards, the teens’ brains showed more activity in areas involved in negative emotions (no surprise there), but they actually showed reduced activity in regions involved in emotional control and in taking other people’s point of view. This suggests, the researchers said, that in response to maternal criticism: “youth shut down social processing [and] possibly do not think about their parents’ mental states.” They add: “… the decrement in brain activity in regions involved in mentalizing or perspective taking could help to explain the high frequency of maladaptive conflict resolution in parent-adolescent dyads.”...
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine   Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 11:06 am

That is why you have to have a hit and run approach with teens. Say the key thing and walk out of the room. It needs to echo a bit….

(That's quite a bit of gray for a teen, Eric!)

Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine   Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine EmptyFri Nov 28, 2014 11:27 am

You mean the grunt like a cave mother to the cave child! "Shoes!" Which can be interpreted: take them off, pick them up, put them on or let's go buy some new ones. Razz They always preferred the latter.

Miss my kids. They become adults toooooooo soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine   Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine Empty

Back to top Go down

Maybe this is why I don't always hear Christine
Page 1 of 1