Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar... Empty
PostSubject: Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...   Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar... EmptySun Sep 30, 2012 9:58 am

I couldn't tolerate over-the-counter niacin because the body absorbs it quickly and I quickly get flushed (Like the redness and heat of a good sunburn without the pain of the burn). I take Niaspan... a prescription controlled-release spansule that I take at night and I have absolutely no side effects.

Niacin protects your heart by lowering blood levels of "bad" LDL cholesterol and preventing the accumulation of arterial plaque. Your digestive system, nervous system and brain need niacin to function. Niacin also helps your body make new DNA, and it helps your body use insulin efficiently to control blood sugar levels. Your body also needs niacin to process fats.

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/vitamins-minerals/what-is-niacin-and-why-is-it-important.html

I copied the second paragraph from the article that has the link above. Because I drink my Margaritas, take niacin and my statin can affect the liver, I routinely get liver tests and seem to have no liver problems.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BirdyBack

BirdyBack

PostSubject: Re: Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...   Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar... EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 12:21 am

When I worked at the pharmacy, my fingers were always cold. The pharmacist said I probably had poor circulation and that taking Niacin would help. He pulled a bottle off the shelf, poured out a handful and told me to take them. He said I could take 6 but I didn't trust him so I only took 2. Holy cow, what a bizarre feeling I got from that! I had red splotches pop up in random places all over my body for the rest of the day. The only thing I have ever felt that was close to that was over 20 years later when I had hot flashes. The niacin was worse than the hot flashes!

The pharmacist thought the whole thing was hilarious. I was not a happy camper.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...   Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar... EmptyTue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 am

Damn, Birdie! That was CRUEL. That's one sick dude to try to get you to take six of those things at one time. I get flushed when I take one of the over-the-counter products.

Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...   Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar... EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 6:52 pm

I've never tried niacin. I'm going to get some tomorrow. I've been on a statin drug for a few months, and I want to get off it ASAP. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...   Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar... EmptyWed Oct 03, 2012 9:36 pm

PBulldog2 wrote:
I've never tried niacin. I'm going to get some tomorrow. I've been on a statin drug for a few months, and I want to get off it ASAP. Thanks!

There has to be a way to keep niacin from hitting your system all at once (other than Niaspan). Maybe taking it with food???

PB, please take just one and, if there are different doses, use the lower dose. If you don't tolerate the over the counter med, maybe try Niaspan... a prescription medicine. To me, there is no comparison... Niaspan is easily tolerated.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...   Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar... Empty

Back to top Go down

Niacin - Lowers LDL cholesterol, helps control blood sugar...
Page 1 of 1