Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The destruction and perversion of the super heros

Go down 
+2
PkrBum
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 6:34 pm

I'm not sure what is Tree's comments and what are Otter's.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Right Chrissy. I am worried about the extreme attack I see on Christianity. The worst part of it is that sometimes I find myself agreeing Some say belief in God is magical thinking and say that by any other definition it is insanity. Why is it so important to god that we believe in something outside our experience and ability to empirically prove ? How does faith save us ? Reminds me of that old lovin spoonful song "Do you believe in magic ".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 7:10 pm

I agree teo, there is a attack on Christianity. always has been. There is no faith without temptation.

LOL@ eric and that batman outfit.Thats you in that isn't it eric  Razz 

otter. I disagree. putting sex and sexuality into places it doesn't belong corrupts our children. There are lots of subliminal messages put into everything we watch. Its put there for us to not pay attention to it but have it implanted into the back of our minds that it is the normal. and it has worked and still works.

btw. I have a pet peeve. Please try to put replies outside the quote box. Just a friendly suggestion to help us all figure out whos posting what.  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:08 pm

It happens, Tree. I used to review contracts to see what changed in the text and this is a bit like that. I can't remember nothin', so I have to go back and forth a hundred times, lol.

With Admin privileges, I can edit any post, and sometimes edit others' posts when I really wanted to quote their post. I usually catch it real quick and fix it back... duh.

'TAINT ME in that Batman suit! I thought it was a campy pose of Adam West from the TV series.

One thing I did have was control over the remote. Our kids didn't get to watch the raunchy cartoons - Beavis & Butthead, Simpsons, etc., at least when I was around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:12 pm

Here's the problem tree. Even though I can reformat my computer to another operating system, I can hack a phone with very few problems, I can get rid of most viruses that attack my system and am very proficient in many ways computerwise, I don't know how to put my statements outside the quote box, I can't figure out how to use photoshop, I don't text, or tweet, or any of that stuff because the simplest of things can completely avoid my understanding.

Which means that when I press quote to start my reply I just start right after whatever you said.
How do you put the quote into a box? It doesn't pop up in a box on my screen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Otter wrote:
Here's the problem tree. Even though I can reformat my computer to another operating system, I can hack a phone with very few problems, I can get rid of most viruses that attack my system and am very proficient in many ways computerwise,  I don't know how to put my statements outside the quote box, I can't figure out how to use photoshop, I don't text, or tweet, or any of that stuff because the simplest of things can completely avoid my understanding.

Which means that when I press quote to start my reply I just start right after whatever you said.
How do you put the quote into a box? It doesn't pop up in a box on my screen.

I cant do quotes form my iPhone. so I just usually direct my comment at the person and start a new window.

all is good.  Smile 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:37 pm

TEOTI wrote:
Right Chrissy. I am worried about the extreme attack I see on Christianity. The worst part of it is that sometimes I find myself agreeing   Some say belief in God is magical thinking and say that by any other definition it is insanity.  Why is it so important to god that we believe in something outside our experience and ability to empirically prove ? How does faith save us ? Reminds me of that old lovin spoonful song "Do you believe in magic ".

Why are you worried about it Teo? Americans claim Christianity by a huge majority. The other thing is that the true religion of Christ can withstand attacks, no matter how extreme they are.
The problem I see is the corruption of the religion from within. I see very few "Christians" acting like Christians today and that is by far a larger threat to the religion than any outside forces like media exposure can cause.
Young people are not attracted to religion today because they see no one on the religious scene that they can admire, not because they are lured away by Hollywood movies. Young people have gay friends that they know are pretty good people, but they hear TV preachers screaming that those friends are all going to hell. They have friends who may had unwanted pregnancies and gotten abortions and those young women are good loving people but the guys on the street corners say they are murderers.
Religion as you know it is dying out, you are right but it's because that religion focuses too much on individual sins and not on Gods love.' Check out the Sunday services of someone that preaches a different kind of Christianity than the mainstream like Father Nathan Monk here in Pensacola and you'll see more young people at a service than you"ll ever see again anywhere. Religion isn't dying but when this generation gets a little older you are darned right it will change I definitely think it will return to its true roots one day soon. It has to or it will have no good reason to survive.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:45 pm

Hey, Otter. I don't know if you were being facetious or not, but I have the following comment about using the "Quote" button.

The quoted text will end with this: [/Quote]

If you put your text after the final[/Quote] at the end of the message, you will be outside of all quoted text.

It gets confusing when there are multiple "Quotes" within one post.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 9:32 pm

I don't know if god likes us telling him what's right and wrong. I was raised kind of like god speaks and we listen...that means if the Bible condemns gay behavior I can't say oh well that's just the Bible you know how old it is....so how do you get around the actual word of GOD thing ? Subject not a woman to teach but to be in subjection....or all the abomination stuff...hard to just wash all that away with our definition of love..
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 10:01 pm

Catholics don't put many of their eggs in the littoral Bible thing... especially the Old Testament. The Old Testament is pretty far out there, y'know? I mean, like how is Jonah going to live in the belly of a whale for days? And, if there was a great flood everywhere, where in hell did the water go afterwards?

The New Testament wasn't written by God either... inspired by God, but written by men. After the death of Christ it took years before the first Gospel was written and many decades before the last Gospel was written. Of course, Catholics put more faith in the New Testament in the littoral sense.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 10:20 pm

Eric wrote:
Catholics don't put many of their eggs in the littoral Bible thing... especially the Old Testament.  The Old Testament is pretty far out there, y'know?  I mean, like how is Jonah going to live in the belly of a whale for days?  And, if there was a great flood everywhere, where in hell did the water go afterwards?

The New Testament wasn't written by God either... inspired by God, but written by men.  After the death of Christ it took years before the first Gospel was written and many decades before the last Gospel was written.  Of course, Catholics put more faith in the New Testament in the littoral sense.

If I believed that way I would have chucked the whole thing years ago. There is no discounting the Bible, picking and choosing what suits our sensibilities. If the Bible is messed up in part it's messed up in whole...therefore so is Christianity because the Christ taught that Jonah was in the belly of the whale for 3 days...was he lying ?...Guess he never walked on water or that son of god stuff just was a lark...a great joke on us all.....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 8:40 am

"... was he lying?..."

The "he" you are referring to was a man that wrote down inspired text.  I don't believe that God wrote the bible, and people are fallible.  It's still a great book and I put my faith on what happened in the New Testament... yes, walking on water, water into wine, etc.  

That stuff about not eating shellfish or pork, not wearing more than one type of clothing material, not trimming my beard/hair, not selling land, etc, just seems old-fashioned and draconian.  I suspect that ALL of us pick and chose what we take from the bible.

But, it is okay to believe what one wants to believe.  Live and let live, man.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:10 am

Well some believe the Bible was written by men inspired by the holy Spirit. If that's the case then the whole Bible was effectively written by god. We can't be like little kids at the dinner table that only want to eat the ice cream and scream when mom says eat your green beans.....oh I guess we can be but Ice Cream isn't a balanced diet...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:48 am

So, Teo. Do you cut your hair or eat pork?

How can you justify that?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:04 am

Eric wrote:
So, Teo.  Do you cut your hair or eat pork?

How can you justify that?
Christ took away the old law nailing it to the cross..at least that's what it says...we now live under a new covenant....There are only two commandments....Love God and love your neighbor....the royal law. The Old Testament law proved that it was useless and powerless to save us..because we suck at keeping it....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:16 am

I am surely not a bible scholar. Where does it say that the Jewish law is voided?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:20 am

Eric wrote:
I am surely not a bible scholar.  Where does it say that the Jewish law is voided?

COL 2:13  When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature, God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins,
14  having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross.
15  And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:28 am

The Catholic bible says:

13 You were dead, because you were sinners and uncircumcised in body: he has brought you to life with him, he has forgiven us every one of our sins.

14 He has wiped out the record of our debt to the Law, which stood against us; he has destroyed it by nailing it to the cross;

15 and he has stripped the sovereignties and the ruling forces, and paraded them in public, behind him in his triumphal procession.

Close - hmmm, "debt to the law"... that can have the same interpretation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 7:15 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
I don't know if god likes us telling him what's right and wrong. I was raised kind of like god speaks and we listen...that means if the Bible condemns gay behavior I can't say oh well that's just the Bible you know how old it is....so how do you get around the actual word of GOD thing ?  Subject not a woman to teach but to be in subjection....or all the abomination stuff...hard to just wash all that away with our definition of love..

I don't put any faith in the old Testament at all. It's nothing but a predictor of the New Testament. Jesus didn't say one word about gays or abortions, fyi, although I know many people want to claim the comments he made about foreknowledge were pointing out that abortion is wrong. And the same people who want to argue that don't believe in predestination at all so their comments using those scriptures SHOULD be confusing even to them.

Men did write the Bible. It's possible some books were inspired. It's just as possible that some were not.

And Eric, sadly, I wasn't being facetious.
Hope to do better from now on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 7:38 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Well some believe the Bible was written by men inspired by the holy Spirit. If tat's the case then the wholeible was effectively written by god. We can't be like little kids at the dinner table that only want to eat the ice cream and scream when mom says eat your green beans.....oh I guess we can be but Ice Cream isn't a balanced diet...

Here's my problem Teo, people have told me all my life that the Bible does not contradict itself but it does. The book of James teaches salvation by works though preachers all over everywhere like to twist it and spin it and claim it does not. Paul very obviously shuns works in favor of faith.  I know that the words that Jesus spoke are also put down on paper by men but I've noticed that even though several different writers quote them, they don't contradict themselves like the writings about church policy and various sins seem to. I believe that real salvation may involve both faith and works, but that's just my opinion.  I think people have to find what brings them peace and then practice it. I definitely believe that a true Christian doesn't have to tell you he is one- you will just know it. And not because he's waving a bible at you on the streetcorner. I only know a few people I honestly believe are actually Christians and I don't profess to being the same kind of people they are. I wish I could be, but unfortunately their kind of faith eludes me.
But since Jesus did NOT say certain things were sins, I'm certainly not the one to condemn those that practice those acts either. That's not my job at all.
Paul doesn't say he is quoting Jesus when he talks about women's role in the church or about many other matters.
I don't know why anyone should assume his ideas were perfect.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 9:20 pm

Different books stress different things because they are addressing different groups of people (Jews, Gentiles, Pagans Romans..etc..)...Faith without works is dead....but we are saved by grace. No contradiction just a limited understanding . Our righteousness is as filthy rags but we should produce good fruit and love our neighbor....but if you want to change the writings to suit you, you may have a curse waiting for you but then that's probably a mistranslation....

Rev. 22:18...
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 10:25 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Different books stress different things because they are addressing different groups of people (Jews, Gentiles, Pagans Romans..etc..)...Faith without works is dead....but we are saved by grace. No contradiction just a limited understanding . Our righteousness is as filthy rags but we should produce good fruit and love our neighbor....but if you want to change the writings to suit you, you may have a curse waiting for you but then that's probably a mistranslation....

Rev. 22:18...
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:

Well, I believe that was written in the Book of Revelation so it makes sense that it applies only to the writings of that book. I'm not trying to argue you or anyone out of your faith Teo, I admire you for it, but John had no idea what books would be contained in the KJV of the Bible when he wrote that and which ones would not. And there are other Christian religions whose Bibles contain more books than the KJV which may be just as valid as the ones in the Bible you read.
How can we be sure that both the writings of Paul and the writings of James both belong in the same Bibles? The people that put the total book together were only human. I'm not trying to make you doubt what you believe, most people I know are KJV'ers. I think we all have to interpret things as we see best and that doing that isn't trying to change the words. If it is I guess I have a curse waiting for me but it hasn't come yet and I'm getting pretty old. I know a lot of good, true believers who have had a lot rougher lives than me. I think bad stuff just happens to people and that God is there to help us cope but I don't think he sends evil on anyone.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 1:08 pm

Actually there are three times curses are issued..in the beginning in the middle and of course in Revelation....so I think it was covered. KJV is a beautifully written Bible but there are far better translations. I understand your saying there are many books left out and your implying some should have been. I am not near so haughty as to think I have the ability to choose. I would just trash can Christianity itself were I to do that. I am convinced that the Bible is reliably what god wants us to understand. To discount Paul's input is at your souls peril. Once again remaking god in our image and desires is common and has been going on since creation....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 7:36 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Actually there are three times curses are issued..in the beginning in the middle and of course in Revelation....so I think it was covered. KJV is a beautifully written Bible but there are far better translations. I understand your saying there are many books left out and your implying some should have been. I am not near so haughty as to think I have the ability to choose. I would just trash can Christianity itself were I to do that. I am convinced that the Bible is reliably what god wants us to understand. To discount Paul's input is at your souls peril. Once again remaking god in our image and desires is common and has been going on since creation....

If discounting every word that Paul wrote is at my soul's peril, then I guess my soul is in a lot of danger. Because I think Paul had some "women issues" that he showed in his writings that were far beyond what a lot of the other writers seemed to have. His "women's issues" were far beyond what Jesus himself had- in fact, Jesus didn't seem to have any problems respecting women, even prostitutes.  You may not be haughty enough to discount some books of the "Holy Scripture" and to add some in that might not belong there, but the scholars that King James commissioned to do just that were not so bothered by being haughty. And if my soul is in mortal peril because I discount some of the teachings in Paul, so is anyone who has ever been divorced. As a matter of fact, Jesus actually mentioned divorce as a sin but never abortion or homosexuality. He took marriage vows pretty seriously but there are a lot of Americans who will be going to hell if violating your marriage vows will send them there. I guess I can say you and I just simply don't agree on Scriptural matters,. I doubt that we ever will. You believe like many members of my own family do, and I respect you for your defense of your beliefs, but I started having problems worshiping such a vengeful angry God about 20 years ago. Thankfully, I found that not all churches believe that way and it has certainly been a revelation to me. Not that I attend any of them anymore, but I know what I believe and just like you, I'm sure, no on can change those beliefs. I'm very satisfied in mine and I hope you are in yours.  Peace be with both of us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The destruction and perversion of the super heros   The destruction and perversion of the super heros - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The destruction and perversion of the super heros
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2