Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
riceme

riceme

North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! Empty
PostSubject: North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!   North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! EmptyWed May 08, 2013 5:38 pm

I commenced my quarterly log-in to Facebook today and one of my friends had posted something that linked to this AWESOME website... check it out:

North American English Dialects, Based on Pronunciation Patterns:

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/

Click on the map in the top left-hand corner to get started. From after that, you've got to go back and read all the neato information this guy has compiled for the site.

sunny ENJOY!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!   North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! EmptyWed May 08, 2013 6:29 pm

That's a LOT of work!

But hey! If it floats his boat...
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!   North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:21 pm

Indeed! A HELLUVA lot of work, but I believe he's worked on it over at least several years.

I sent the link to one of my oldest & dearest friends today, on whose ranch I lived in an outbuilding for several years, who has learned one of our local Native American languages and is the local "white man" expert so that he can provide that information and history for the site owner to include. I am very much looking forward to seeing our local information reflected.

I'm really into this sort of thing, and I love our local history with the native cultures. It fascinates me.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!   North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:14 pm

I just love some of the Cajun coon-asses language down N'awlins way.

Up here at Birmingham and Atlanta, extra syllables are used. For instance, Jim is pronounced gee-yum. Fred is Fray-Ed. Idea is just ID... Like eyedee.

A Texas trouper pulls an Alabama boy over for speeding and says to the boy "Boy, you got an ID."

The Alabama boy said "'bout wuuut". Razz
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!   North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! EmptyThu May 09, 2013 7:30 pm

LOL. We just have a Louisiana boy here in our wind turbine school and I had to do quite a bit of translation from Coon-Ass to English. lol.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!   North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! EmptyThu May 09, 2013 8:28 pm

WOW that is impressive! I am going to spend a little time looking this over. It's invaluable!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!   North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website! Empty

Back to top Go down

North American Native American Dialects... SUPER neat website!
Page 1 of 1