Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans Empty
PostSubject: The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans   The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:32 am

The WW2 museum has a movie theater showing a 45 minute movie called "Beyond All Boundaries".
It's billed as "the only 4D movie in the world".
Picture a giant curved movie screen in front of you which fills your whole field of vision.
At one point, the screen is filled with a WW2 bomber flying towards you and flak is exploding all around it. During this, the front end of a bomber fuselage comes out of the ceiling of the theater and positions itself perfectly right in front of the movie screen where the movie airplane is. So what you're then seeing is the airplane coming out of the screen. And when the flak is exploding, it's synced to a shaking mechanism in the theater seats and you're actually feeling the explosions in your seat.
At another point in the movie, we're seeing a winter scene with snow falling. And simulated snow is released from the ceiling and starts falling on the theater audience.
There is a pit between the audience and the screen. And all during the movie actual physical props are coming up out of the pit to coincide with what's on the screen.
And it's not gimmicky. Everything is perfectly suited to complement what's being shown in the movie (which tells the story of WW2 from Pearl Harbor to Nagasaki).
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans   The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 11:49 am

awesome....glad you were able to experience it. I will have to add that to my list.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans   The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 12:10 pm

According to this,  if you want to get "snowed on", be sure and sit in the first three rows.  I was in the 2nd row.

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2009/11/world_war_ii_museums_beyond_al.html
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans   The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm

BobW wrote:
The WW2 museum has a movie theater showing a 45 minute movie called "Beyond All Boundaries".  
It's billed as "the only 4D movie in the world".  
Picture a giant curved movie screen in front of you which fills your whole field of vision.  
At one point,  the screen is filled with a WW2 bomber flying towards you and flak is exploding all around it.  During this,  the front end of a bomber fuselage comes out of the ceiling of the theater and positions itself perfectly right in front of the movie screen where the movie airplane is.  So what you're then seeing is the airplane coming out of the screen.  And when the flak is exploding,  it's synced to a shaking mechanism in the theater seats and you're actually feeling the explosions in your seat.
At another point in the movie,  we're seeing a winter scene with snow falling.  And simulated snow is released from the ceiling and starts falling on the theater audience.  
There is a pit between the audience and the screen.  And all during the movie actual physical props are coming up out of the pit to coincide with what's on the screen.
And it's not gimmicky.  Everything is perfectly suited to complement what's being shown in the movie (which tells the story of WW2 from Pearl Harbor to Nagasaki).

I have been wanting to go the museum but keep putting it off, this is pushing me to do it! Gracias.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans   The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 pm

That sounds really cool... wish I had the opportunity to experience it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans   The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 9:03 pm

BobW wrote:
According to this,  if you want to get "snowed on", be sure and sit in the first three rows.  I was in the 2nd row.

http://www.nola.com/movies/index.ssf/2009/11/world_war_ii_museums_beyond_al.html

Been there and done that Bob,it is great. The WWII museum in New Orleans is an experience just as good as any of the museums at the Smithsonian. You can spend most of the day there. If you actually listen to some of the tapes of survivors of the war (from the perspective of both sides) they will move you nearly to tears, no matter how big a guy you may think you are.
\
It should be on every American's bucket list.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans   The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans Empty

Back to top Go down

The "4D Movie" at the National WW2 Museum in New Orleans
Page 1 of 1