Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

meanwhile, in Alaska

Go down 
+8
mediawatcher
Joanimaroni
Jake92
PkrBum
Ghost Rider
Eric
riceme
nochain
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
Jake92

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 4:43 pm

I hope you can get them good on your cell.. Are they as beautiful as the sweater in your pic? :-)
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 7:36 pm

Jake92 wrote:
I hope you can get them good on your cell..  Are they as beautiful as the sweater in your pic?  :-)

LOL, that was a long sleeve t-shirt my mom made for me out of cotton jersey fabric she found at the store that was covered in people's names written in cursive. I don't know that I'll be able to get very good pictures of them on my cell phone, but I'll try next time if I'm not similarly dumbstruck again.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 8:00 pm

I'm at the laundromat / shower facility / water hut station / free internet / etc., etc., etc., so I'll post a couple pictures I took just after sunrise from behind my cabin last month. Mind you, this was at 1306 hrs... that's 1:06 PM for those who don't know military time. Thankfully, we've gotten a lot of daylight back since then.

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 14January2014_1306hrs_Sunrise_1

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 14January2014_1306hrs_Sunrise
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 08, 2014 11:15 pm

They are beautiful.. I just know my knees could never take the cold.. They killed me during the sleet and freeze a few weeks ago.. I hope yours are doing well..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 1:08 am

You know, I was worried about that, but it is so extremely dry up here that my knee doesn't really bother me at all. It bothered me much, much worse in Pensacola, Kansas and California. 

Oh, I suppose I should have said that's the slough behind my cabin in the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 7:06 am

Is that part of your cabin on the right side of the bottom pic?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 09, 2014 12:28 pm

yeah, that's the back of it.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 10:22 am

Ricey's next car...

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 V1TyHu8
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 12, 2014 6:31 pm

LOL, actually Ft Wainwright is selling a piece of tracked expeditionary equipment that would be really cool to have... it has a bed on it w/hydraulics & a man-basket, lol.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Here it is: 

http://m.newsminer.com/news/local_news/fort-wainwright-selling-arctic-expeditionary-vehicle/article_5e3c632a-92fb-11e3-8d50-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Hey, why are the headlights of that green bug red??
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:00 pm

riceme wrote:
Here it is: 

http://m.newsminer.com/news/local_news/fort-wainwright-selling-arctic-expeditionary-vehicle/article_5e3c632a-92fb-11e3-8d50-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=jqm

Red headlights?  I dunno.  Maybe they make it look meaner.

I knew an old codger that built the first permanent house out on Ono Island.  My dad let him build a heavy duty pier on our marina so he could offload materials.  This old man had a half-track with a crane on it.  He sure made good use of that half-track.

This codger owned a bunch of property on Ono's East end and offered an acre to my dad for free.  Knowing there was no bridge to it at the time, my dad turned him down.  That property is valuable now, I betcha.

Off topic, but Dad also had the opportunity to buy a prestressed shell of a house on Perdido Key and it was Gulf frontage.  The asking price in the 1960's was $16 Thousand.  This same property sold a couple of years ago for $8 Million.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 13, 2014 5:28 pm

Wow... that would have been one helluva story on ROI, Return On Investment!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 22, 2014 7:58 pm

So I'm at the all-purpose laundromat again and found a youtube of the Northern Lights to share with you. Here goes:

https://youtu.be/XjVwA1UKBzA

Some of you know I am and always have been a pretty firm agnostic. Even when I was a child it was tough for me to believe that a god existed. The Northern Lights and Neko's illness and subsequent recovery are the only two things in my 42 years that have ever made me seriously consider that there might be a god. Well, then I found out what causes the Northern Lights and that left Neko and her recovery. I had never prayed to any god before in my life, but I prayed for her to her god that she believes in. Anyways, I hope that helps to explain just how amazing the Northern Lights are.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 9:15 am

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:
Here it is: 

Red headlights?  I dunno.  Maybe they make it look meaner.

I knew an old codger that built the first permanent house out on Ono Island.  My dad let him build a heavy duty pier on our marina so he could offload materials.  This old man had a half-track with a crane on it.  He sure made good use of that half-track.

This codger owned a bunch of property on Ono's East end and offered an acre to my dad for free.  Knowing there was no bridge to it at the time, my dad turned him down.  That property is valuable now, I betcha.

Off topic, but Dad also had the opportunity to buy a prestressed shell of a house on Perdido Key and it was Gulf frontage.  The asking price in the 1960's was $16 Thousand.  This same property sold a couple of years ago for $8 Million.

Like Scenic Highway property - my (now deceased) father-in-law said an acre could be had on S/H for $500 but no one thought the town would expand that way. If only.......
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 7:51 am

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 Dma1-3
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 8:01 am

nochain wrote:
meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 Dma1-3

Survival of the fittest....and/or the fastest.....
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 9:02 am

mediawatcher wrote:
nochain wrote:

Law of gross tonnage?
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 2:48 pm

nochain wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:

Law of gross tonnage?

LOL, I refer to that as "the law of superior tonnage."
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 1:41 pm

After five months of literally everything outside being covered in snow and ice, I am itching for break up season to come and take it all away. It has been above freezing on precisely two days since October. We just got another 5 inches of snow and it made me wonder when it's going to stop. I didn't so much mind that it snowed -- because it temporarily makes the roads so much better -- just the fact that it meant there would be another 5 inches that had to melt before I could finally see the earth again. I miss the earth. I want to smell dirt again.

My friend asked me if the road I live on is paved or not and I honestly could not remember. It could be gravel, dirt or paved under all that ice, and I have no clue. I think it's gravel... I'm going with gravel, for 500 please, Bob.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 3:06 pm

Alaska in the summer?

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 Hq-dar-12
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 6:22 pm

nochain wrote:
Alaska in the summer?

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 Hq-dar-12

The bear HAS to fatten up for the winter, y'know.

The edges on that girl are too sharp. That's a photoshop, I'll betcha.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyFri Mar 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Survival of the fittest lol!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 8:01 am

Sigh... it was -30s last night, it's supposed to warm up to the +30s this week, then dip back down to -30s. Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to the warm weather, but really would rather not have it if it's just going to dip back down and f-up the roads again. When it does this the runoff has nowhere to go since the storm drains are still frozen and out here there are huge banks of ice on the sides of the road corralling the runoff into the road... ugh.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 8:46 pm

lol, it is 40 above and there is still ice on the roads but saw a bunch of guys riding motorcycles on my way to work today. Harleys... on the ice. My husband used to ride a KLR-650 to and from work in the snow and ice, but that's a dual sport. Wish I had pictures of the Harleys for you.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 am

meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 Meanwhile-alaska-25_thumb
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

meanwhile, in Alaska
Page 6 of 18Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 18  Next