Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

meanwhile, in Alaska

Go down 
+8
mediawatcher
Joanimaroni
Jake92
PkrBum
Ghost Rider
Eric
riceme
nochain
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
nochain

nochain

meanwhile, in Alaska Empty
PostSubject: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 10:20 am

meanwhile, in Alaska Meanwhile-in-alaska-18
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 1:35 pm

That's pretty awesome... Moose are notoriously mean. I wonder how that old timer tamed that big bad guy??
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 1:57 pm

riceme wrote:
That's pretty awesome... Moose are notoriously mean. I wonder how that old timer tamed that big bad guy??

It's pretty huge isn't it? It could knock you out with those antlers just by shaking its head.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:02 pm

meanwhile, in Alaska A98043_in_11-alaska2
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 2:57 pm

nochain wrote:
meanwhile, in Alaska A98043_in_11-alaska2

"OH, SHIT!" pale 
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 5:21 pm

Incredible (if not photoshopped).

My guess is that the old-timer must have raised the Moose from a little calf.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Aug 06, 2013 7:07 pm

Eric wrote:
Incredible (if not photoshopped).

My guess is that the old-timer must have raised the Moose from a little calf.

Both those things occurred to me as well, E. Them Alaskans are a tough bunch though... I'm thinking he raised it from a calf.

I watched a wildlife special on an old mountain man in Alaska who had lived with Grizzlies for his whole life. It was truly incredible. If a man can live with a few dozen Grizzlies, I'd imagine one could raise up a Moose calf to be a working animal.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 7:45 am

Hold on, I'll be right back

meanwhile, in Alaska Daily-morning-awesome-1
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 am

We have another "OH, SHIT!" on our hands!

Can you link me to this "Meanwhile in Alaska" site where you're finding all this stuff please?? It's cracking me up, and trust me when I tell you that I need some good laughs right now.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:13 pm

riceme wrote:
We have another "OH, SHIT!" on our hands!

Can you link me to this "Meanwhile in Alaska" site where you're finding all this stuff please?? It's cracking me up, and trust me when I tell you that I need some good laughs right now.

I see stuff in various places but this link goes to a little series on web site I like:

http://thechive.com/2013/07/29/meanwhile-in-alaska-30-photos/
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 12:22 pm

Cool, thanks man.

I kinda like this one:

meanwhile, in Alaska Meanwhile-in-alaska-24
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 3:02 pm

If you like funny animal pics here is another link

http://izismile.com/picdumps/funny_animals/page/2/

meanwhile, in Alaska These_funny_animals_1215_640_02
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyWed Aug 07, 2013 4:13 pm

Aww, they're so cute & funny! Thanks, nochain! Smile
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 3:40 pm

Spill on aisle 2

meanwhile, in Alaska I2kft
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 4:15 am

LOL!! "Oopsie!!!" That's a great one!
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:23 am

meanwhile, in Alaska Buffalo_car

Last edited by nochain on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix broken link)
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyFri Aug 09, 2013 9:24 am

meanwhile, in Alaska Funny_Pictures_3569
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Ja, the street signs up here are different than in the Lower 48, fo sho. This is about a mile from my cabin:

meanwhile, in Alaska 261aa310-e957-4d47-b124-f55bebdd8c4e
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:03 pm

In my years spent in Alaska, I have seen old-timers that would have moose come up to them and tae food out of their hands. Not aggressive at all were these moose, but at the same time I have seen them attack vehicles. I would never attempt to try and domesticate a full grown bull moose. But all in all, I would never trade my time in Alaska. Best years of my life.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:47 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:
In my years spent in Alaska, I have seen old-timers that would have moose come up to them and tae food out of their hands. Not aggressive at all were these moose, but at the same time I have seen them attack vehicles. I would never attempt to try and domesticate a full grown bull moose. But all in all, I would never trade my time in Alaska. Best years of my life.
Where were you up here, GR?

Two summers ago my cousin and his wife and their daughter were going fishing and they were hiking through a meadow when a moose came out of the treeline and began meandering toward them. His wife and daughter were ahead of him and he immediately tried to catch up to them without startling the moose, but it was too late. The moose charged at them, straight at his wife and 3-year old daughter. He could not take a shot because they were in his line of fire, but his wife took two shots and killed it. pale 

There was a moose out on the slough behind the cabin just yesterday, but I'll respectfully keep my distance after hearing that story.

As an aside, I have learned that GPS isn't worth a shit up here. The closest store is Badger Gas just if I need something real quick to avoid having to go to town. I discovered today that GPS has been taking me on a 7-mile loop when it's really only a 4-mile drive, lol. This isn't the first episode of GPS-gone-wrong up here. Where I live isn't on my GPS, Google Maps, MapQuest, etc., and I've been taken astray a few times already. Need a good ole paper map, dammit.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 7:42 am

meanwhile, in Alaska 1098540_549665938422519_584190387_n
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:05 am

riceme wrote:
Ghost Rider wrote:
Where were you up here, GR?

Two summers ago my cousin and his wife and their daughter were going fishing and they were hiking through a meadow when a moose came out of the treeline and began meandering toward them. His wife and daughter were ahead of him and he immediately tried to catch up to them without startling the moose, but it was too late. The moose charged at them, straight at his wife and 3-year old daughter. He could not take a shot because they were in his line of fire, but his wife took two shots and killed it. pale 

There was a moose out on the slough behind the cabin just yesterday, but I'll respectfully keep my distance after hearing that story.

As an aside, I have learned that GPS isn't worth a shit up here. The closest store is Badger Gas just if I need something real quick to avoid having to go to town. I discovered today that GPS has been taking me on a 7-mile loop when it's really only a 4-mile drive, lol. This isn't the first episode of GPS-gone-wrong up here. Where I live isn't on my GPS, Google Maps, MapQuest, etc., and I've been taken astray a few times already. Need a good ole paper map, dammit.

It was during my military career I was stationed at Ft Wainwright near Fairbanks. You mention Badger Gas, I assume that you are somewhere in the greater Fairbanks metropolis. There is a Badger Gas in North Pole. So is this where you are located?
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 am

meanwhile, in Alaska Oh-shit-28
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:20 pm

nochain wrote:
meanwhile, in Alaska 1098540_549665938422519_584190387_n
lol, that's funny. You know we have special silicone tires up here? Rubber tires are no good because they harden at too high of a temperature, and basically you end up driving around on skis and I hear they can shatter in the right conditions. So we've got silicone tires that stay soft in super low temperatures. Pretty neat.

One thing that's a big adjustment for me that might seem weird is that you can't use your emergency brake up here in the super low temperatures because the temp changes will cause failure, so I have to get in the habit of just leaving my pickup in gear without the e-brake on. Now, mind you my dad drilled into my silly head not to ever get out of the rig without doing BOTH, so to me setting the e-brake is just part of turning off the vehicle. It's a very difficult habit to break. So, I have a fluorescent sticky on my dash that says, "NO E-BRAKE, DUMBASS!" lol.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Ghost Rider wrote:
It was during my military career I was stationed at Ft Wainwright near Fairbanks. You mention Badger Gas, I assume that you are somewhere in the greater Fairbanks metropolis. There is a Badger Gas in North Pole. So is this where you are located?
Ha, that's funny. I am kinda in the boonies outside of North Pole. Too funny. My cousin works at Ft Wainwright... he's a Smokejumper out there. I've only been into Fairbanks once so that I could use my mobile phone, cos that's the only place it works around here. It's alright, but way too big for my liking.

So, you miss it up here? Right now it's snowing and it's about 5-degrees where I'm at. rendeer
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: meanwhile, in Alaska   meanwhile, in Alaska Empty

Back to top Go down

meanwhile, in Alaska
Page 1 of 18Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 18  Next