Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go Empty
PostSubject: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 4:54 pm

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130310/NEWS12/303100028/Military-Notes-Kitty-Hawk-economic-impact-study-begins

I once thought this would be a good idea... bringing a Carrier to Pensacola for a museum. It now seems (to me at least) to be an exercise in futility.

Upon further reflection, I don't think anybody wants an Aircraft Carrier next to them. Port space, probably the most likely location, is too valuable. Port Royal folks and Studer surely wouldn't want a carrier between them, and the Navy probably wants to keep Allegheny Pier available for operational purposes, although it would be great PR for the Navy.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 8:51 pm

I'm with you, EE. The sheer size of an aircraft carrier brings into the mix a whole lot of issues that I don't think have been fully addressed. If that port has any chance of expanding in the future, which would be great for Pensacola's economy if they can get someone good in there to properly market it and bring in business, that thing would be taking up INVALUABLE real estate.

Shoot, even Vestas Wind has (and I believe continues to) import their wind turbine components from Denmark including machine heads, hubs, controllers (aka down tower assemblies) and blades... never heard of them bringing towers in, which logistically wouldn't make sense to me, as I know where their suppliers to the US are. And last I knew, GE Wind was still using it to import and export the same components. When I was w/GE we used that port at a small financial loss, just out of convenience and speed to get units on the water. It speaks volumes that GE would take a financial hit of ANY sort for ANY purpose whatsoever. They are notorious for being tight-fisted to say the very least.

It also speaks volumes that Vestas in particular would choose the Port of Pensacola to do business... I do not doubt that they could save a wrack of cash importing into Charleston, Savannah or even JAX (which is a major CF, and I cut them out of the loop on all my components... first order of business).

Like I said... that port could be a damned gold mine. Could bring in REAL jobs into a REAL industry if someone with their damn head screwed on straight was paying enough attention and they chose to expand.

Once again, I'll step off my soapbox... 2nd time I've had to do so today. Something's got me fired up today, not sure what. lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 9:11 am

I agree. A carrier will not be coming to Pensacola. I wish it would happen and that it could be put in a spot to everyone's (or almost everyone's) liking. But it can't be. It's just way too big and way too expensive. And I don't think some people understand what it costs to maintain something like an aircraft carrier.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:52 am

Just think of the cost of the paint to keep it looking presentable.. Maybe a paint manufacturer will cover the cost for advertising, but the labor to apply it would still cost a fortune.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 8:47 pm

Off topic a bit, but Ricey brought up the port. We seem to lose a lot of business because we can't handle containers.

Why in hell can't someone invest in those container cranes? Is there a reason why those cranes wouldn't work there?
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:01 pm

They would ruin the scenery for the tourists!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptySun Mar 17, 2013 9:33 pm

They make real slick forklifts that are container-grabbers too. Those are pretty neat and they would ruin the scenery.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 8:50 am

Don't get me started on the downtown port. Oh well, it's too late.

For one thing, most if not all of the labor there is contracted out to a company in another state, Offshore/Inland, despite the fact Pensacola could supply all the labor that port needs and more. Our mayor talks the big talk about jobs, but he is apparently unwilling to do anything about that stupid situation.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 3:25 pm

Amen, sister!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 4:26 pm

Yeah, the cranes are ugly, but when I drive down I-10 through Mobile and see the cranes, I see money!

I, for one, would put up with some "ugly" if it meant we had a bustling, prosperous port.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 am

Well, I meant that they're ugly to some -- or most, I guess -- people. I think cranes are beautiful, awesome pieces of equipment. After you've watched a couple of the Big Boys erect a wind turbine, it's hard not to love them.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go EmptyTue Mar 19, 2013 6:21 am

I love the cranes at the shipyards and other places. The new one that Deep South Cranes bought was beautiful when it was at 5 Flags Speedway being put together to be checked out and things. It takes 19 tractor trailor rigs to move it from job to job..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go   Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go Empty

Back to top Go down

Not in My Backyard... Kitty Hawk will have no place to go
Page 1 of 1