Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?

Go down 
+2
Eric
nochain
6 posters
AuthorMessage
nochain

nochain

Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? Empty
PostSubject: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 8:27 am

I was disappointed when the City failed to get the Lexington. Should they attempt to bring the Kitty Hawk here? While it would be nice I doubt the City politicos have the intestinal fortitude to make it happen. It's a shame to because Corpus Christie did a great job with the Lexington...

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130924/NEWS01/309240022/Kitty-Hawk-plan-adrift?nclick_check=1

Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? IMG_5555
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 10:40 am

Pensacola does not have the cojones to bring the Kitty Hawk here.

Now, if someone from the downtown crowd could figure out how to make insane amounts of money from it, it would be a done deal.

Russenberger, the Port Royal bigwhigs, and Studer will scream bloody murder if it is parked near the ball park. The Navy doesn't want it at Allegheny Pier. If you could get it to fit between Palafox and the Port, I doubt if there would be room for other ships at the port.

Where would you put it?
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 11:08 am

Eric wrote:
P
Where would you put it?
Same place the Saratoga was berthed until they dragged it out and sank it. It's a pretty tight fit but it could be made to work. But I agree - it'll never happen unless the GOBs stand to profit...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyTue Sep 24, 2013 6:08 pm

nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:
P
Where would you put it?
Same place the Saratoga was berthed until they dragged it out and sank it. It's a pretty tight fit but it could be made to work. But I agree - it'll never happen unless the GOBs stand to profit...
Saratoga?  You lost me on that one.  Where was it kept?

I remember that old aircraft carrier Oriskany, but I only saw it near the pass when they were dragging it out for her final "swim".
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 7:01 am

Eric wrote:
nochain wrote:
Eric wrote:
P
Where would you put it?
Saratoga?  You lost me on that one.  Where was it kept?

I remember that old aircraft carrier Oriskany, but I only saw it near the pass when they were dragging it out for her final "swim".
Oops -your'e right - it was the Oriskany! Must have been a senior moment, having more of those lately. I believe it was the same pier the article discussed, we went down there and looked at it but couldn't get very close.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 7:03 am

It would be great if we could get the Kitty Hawk to Pensacola. Unfortunately, I agree with both of you. Unless there are massive profits to be made, it won't happen.

Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:05 am

An ideal place would be a new pier at Fort Pickens, close to where the fishing pier is now..  It would be a BIG boost to Fort Pickens and the park service..  A joint venture between the park and the county so the expenses are shared would work as long as the long term plans and contracts are followed.. Bring in the museum on the base to make it a 3 way agreement with a ferry/boat ride between the museum and the Kitty Hawk...
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:14 am

Jake92 wrote:
An ideal place would be a new pier at Fort Pickens, close to where the fishing pier is now..  It would be a BIG boost to Fort Pickens and the park service..  A joint venture between the park and the county so the expenses are shared would work as long as the long term plans and contracts are followed..  Bring in the museum on the base to make it a 3 way agreement with a ferry/boat ride between the museum and the Kitty Hawk...
And put a Chick-Fil-A beside it!.....That would be a huge boost for Ft Pickens of couse it's logical in the real world and probably not even considered by the community braintrust...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:34 am

Jake92 states something that the city would never have considered - a new pier can be built. The photo showing the Lexington illustrates how Corpus built a breakwater and pier facility - I believe the ship rests on the bottom but I could be mistaken.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:38 am

nochain wrote:
Jake92 states something that the city would never have considered - a new pier can be built. The photo showing the Lexington illustrates how Corpus built a breakwater and pier facility - I believe the ship rests on the bottom but I could be mistaken.
The problems.....cooperation....and profit sharing....great idea though...surprised the folks in Alabama havent grabbed a carrier for their park...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:46 am

Looking at the numbers for the Alabama it seems like a viable venture particularly if grants and fundraising cover the initial start up costs.

Battleship Alabama
1 battleship
1 submarine
1 LST

Mobile, Al. population: 201,896 Visitors to the park: 325,000 Self-sustaining revenue: yes = $2 million
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:49 am

nochain wrote:
Looking at the numbers for the Alabama it seems like a viable venture particularly if grants and fundraising cover the initial start up costs.

Battleship Alabama
1 battleship
1 submarine
1 LST

Mobile, Al. population: 201,896 Visitors to the park: 325,000 Self-sustaining revenue: yes = $2 million
There may be a lesson to be learned.....NAH not with this downtown crowd....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:20 am

I spent a very sleepless night with cub scouts on the Battleship Alabama. The kids had a great time of hide-and-seek, though.

In addition to the aforementioned ships, they had an SR-71 Blackbird on display. I was impressed.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 am

The SR-71 is still there, but inside with a pretty good display now...
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 4:44 pm

I would venture to say that the only way to dock the carrier would be to let her rest on the bottom like the USS Alabama. I think the logistics of permanently docking such a huge ship would be enormous. Not to mention parking and all the other related service activitys . Not to mention that Stooderville has busted the city. There is NO money for any capital investments.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?   Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should the USS Kitty Hawk come to Pensacola?
Page 1 of 1