Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. Empty
PostSubject: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:51 am

http://www.pnj.com/article/20130214/NEWS01/302140029/Schism-on-YMCA-emerges-over-Maritime-Park-site

Unfortunately, (CMPA chairman) Merrill and (Pensacola Mayor) Heyward are pushing for the Y. They want time to put the deal together. Yeah, right... So they can THEN say it is a done deal.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:55 am

I have a feeling Hayward wants to attach himself to Studer and Merrill. Which will make him a yes man.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:02 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
I have a feeling Hayward wants to attach himself to Studer and Merrill. Which will make him a yes man.

Could be...

The article did have a statement that the Big Game Fishing Club wanted to build a docks and a Marina at the SW corner of the park. You wouldn't want to store your boat there (storm waves will tear it up), but it would give boaters access to the park.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:06 am

The marina where I keep my boat used to be the Big Game Fishing Club headquarters and it has really nice restrooms and a large bar/party room upstairs. That type of facility would be a plus for the park, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:13 am

It would be...but from what I have heard any docking facilities would be private. Residents and building owners only. The park will end up being a playground for the rich....with the general public attending ballgames and the rare extra park events.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:29 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
It would be...but from what I have heard any docking facilities would be private. Residents and building owners only. The park will end up being a playground for the rich....with the general public attending ballgames and the rare extra park events.

That would suck.

Unless they put up a breakwater, any boats stored there will get beat to hell by the waves. Those marinas on Big Lagoon have catastrophic damage from storms... and the storms don't have to be hurricanes.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:38 am

Joanimaroni wrote:

You got it, When all the dust settles, that will be the end result. Studer is getting ready to show his other side very soon. I predict within 3 years he will threaten to move the team over a dispute. But we never had a chance from the start. The park is built, the easy money spent, now the vultures are circling looking for the last few chicken bones. There is a reason that many of us left the downtown area.

Last edited by hallmarkgrad on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:41 am

IMO....it is a matter of time before they start buildings condo's.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 am

Has this entire project has been a scheme from the start?. It is very hard to believe that we were right and there is NO damn plan for the park. But there is none. Ever Olivers report is a joke. My only question is." Is it really a scam or the people involved really that dysfunctional?" Sometime I really think the latter.
For me it has been fun, a hobby, a diversion, but I really dont care. Now it is time for me to go back and get involved with Navy Point, Gulf beach and my West side. People like Studer, Seaoats, and other down towners have much to learn about life. I do not envy them.

Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:03 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
IMO....it is a matter of time before they start buildings condo's.

Again 1000% correct. When a Publix breaks ground in the downtown area it will "Game on" for the condos. The canary in the mine.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:07 am

Is there going to be a Publix downtown?

Where?
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:26 am

LOL I dont know I just said "When" The demographics say they can not support a major food store at the present time but when that changes, the condos will start.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:34 am

The fact that we can not support a down town grocery store but we can build a 93 million dollar park should say something.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:57 am

Well you know Everman's is expanding.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:58 am

hallmarkgrad wrote:
The fact that we can not support a down town grocery store but we can build a 93 million dollar park should say something.

A grocery store would go good at the Blount Jr. High parcel. It is near a lot of houses and the site is a whole block, isn't it?

I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. Blount10

Last edited by Eric on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:01 am

It'd probably be a problem with a chain grocery store if they couldn't build on a major thoroughfare. A grocery store would work there, but I doubt if you could get a big chain to buy into the idea.

I like Ever'man... but I don't go there often. Usually, I'm looking for a healthy granola/gorp mix.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:11 am

Yes Blount would be a great spot but I think they used Grant money to Buy and raze it and the grant has strings. But that should not stop the "Players"

[img]I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. 2w5qemh[/img]
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 10:15 am

Georgie, I'm trying to see if I can bold all the text for you... automatically.

If things look all screwed up it will be because I am experimenting. (I hope I can put it back like it was if I screw it up Laughing )
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks Now if I can figure a way to keep my nose off the screen I will good to go. Things are much better.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
Thanks Now if I can figure a way to keep my nose off the screen I will good to go. Things are much better.

You don't need to bold things anymore, HG. It'll do it automatically.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 12:43 pm

Thanks a lot. cheers WOW!!! That is very good.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Joanimaroni wrote:
Well you know Everman's is expanding.

And I always loved how they basically had a monopoly and could mark-up everything by 200+%. I did used to have to go there for certain items that were not available anywhere else (not even @Apple Market) once every couple of of months, and it killed me every time. Their prices are just outrageous.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 9:22 pm

A good grocery store downtown would put a dent into Shoreline's business, too.

I have a friend that owns a restaurant and he buys his olive oil in five gallon containers at Shoreline.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.   I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else. Empty

Back to top Go down

I'd like to see the YMCA go somewhere else.
Page 1 of 1