Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

This is why I don't do cruise ships

Go down 
+4
Ghost Rider
SheSurfs
riceme
Eric
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

This is why I don't do cruise ships Empty
PostSubject: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:46 pm

My dadgum 46-footer breaks down on me enough. Razz

http://news.yahoo.com/first-2-tugboats-reaches-disabled-cruise-ship-004600504.html

Toilets overflowing, no air conditioning... bet that smells wonderful...

Also, they seem to have a high incidence rate of that stomach bug, the Norovirus, that makes life miserable.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I have never in my life had the slightest desire to go on a cruise... in fact, was just discussing it at my best friend's birthday party yesterday and a friend told a story about when he and his first wife took a cruise and after the first day the entire trip was during Hurricane Andrew and they spent it out at sea enduring the hurricane. Rationed water and food, all the alcohol you could drink.

Awesome.

He quit drinking right after that and has been sober for 20-years now. lol.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:47 pm

This is some kind of bad. I have no idea why they aren't removing people from the ship. If a tug can get there (and hold many people)...why not other smaller and faster ships? They aren't exactly doing a very good job of thinking outside the box on this one.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 5:38 pm

Carnival really should have dispatched an empty cruise ship out there and transferred people -- yes, slow process but better than what they've done so far I think -- to another ship (or a few smaller ones) to get folks back to port.

Atrocious customer service.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Eric, I have been on that very ship not too long ago and we had a great time. Mechanical things are going to break.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 4:23 pm

Ghost_Rider1949 wrote:
Eric, I have been on that very ship not too long ago and we had a great time. Mechanical things are going to break.

Yep, they sure do, Ghost_Rider. Things are constantly breaking on my boat. I'd rather be on land... or close to it, when something breaks. Wink

The cruise line is painting a picture that the public toilets are operational, water is flowing, and hot food is available.

The people that are stuck there complain that there is sewage running down some walls, hot coffee is available and food is in short supply. People have dragged their bedding to the decks and are camping in makeshift tents on deck because there is no air conditioning.

The good thing is that alcohol is now free and people are trying to make the best of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:20 pm

Hey y'all. I don't know if there is a sign on page on here, but this page seems current so I just want to say hello.. I reactivated my membership and am happy to be here.
Thanks for your help, riceme Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh...I LOVE cruises....but not so much on Carnival. Carnival is like the "Walmart Cruise", lol.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:25 pm

nekochan wrote:
Hey y'all. I don't know if there is a sign on page on here, but this page seems current so I just want to say hello.. I reactivated my membership and am happy to be here.
Thanks for your help, riceme Smile

Good to see you posting here Neko, and I'm always happy to help.

EE, I am on a small (limited to people who are not abusive jerks) recruiting mission, especially since I am now officially on hiatus from the cesspool formerly known as PDF. silent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 5:32 pm

I've had it over there. Not saying I won't go back but I almost feel as though Eric's departure was a "sign" that PDF is not the place to be.

This forum seems to have come a long way since I first signed up. Glad to be back.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:26 pm

I am in agreement. I've gotten a belly full of that place and taken hiatus on several occasions, but I don't think I've ever been this ticked off and fed-up.

Neko already knows this, but I only hung around PDF long enough to read Bob's "Message to EE" thread until Boards deleted it, then I hit the high road.
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:30 pm

nekochan wrote:
Oh...I LOVE cruises....but not so much on Carnival. Carnival is like the "Walmart Cruise", lol.

Neko what cruise lines do you use. We have taken several cruises and it has always been with Carnival. My wife and I have both been very pleased with every ship we have been on and the staff has always made us feel like we are at home. I may be placing a jinx on our next cruise, but I will deal with it the very best I can.
Back to top Go down
Gunz

Gunz

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:33 pm

I would never do a cruise . can you imagine the smell on that boat right about now?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Our first cruise was on Carnival, out of Tampa, and we enjoyed it. But then we took a Princess Cruise (I think Princess is actually owned by Carnival) from China to Japan and the difference between Princess and Carnival was like night and day. The Princess ship was just nicer and the passengers were very different than Carnival passengers. But we are talking about an older, more seasoned group of travelers on the Princess cruise. We enjoyed that Princess cruise immensely. It was just nicer in almost every way--except maybe for the Vladivostok harbor cruise we signed up for, which was a little scary. The food was better, the ship was nicer, the onboard entertainment was of a better quality. A couple of years ago we took Carnival out of Mobile. Not a bad ship or a bad cruise...but many of the passengers were loud and obnoxious and rude. For example, on the Princess Cruise, there was no one running around in any of the ship's dining rooms in bathing suits and flip flops yelling and acting stupid. Princess doesn't have a dress code that I am aware of, but the Princess passengers have a little more class than to run around half naked in the ship's dining areas. But then that was a 12 day cruise, not a 4 day cruise. Anyway, the cruise out of Mobile was cheap, the food wasn't bad and we were able to see Chichen Itza which is the reason why we took the cruise. It was fine for what it was...but I would not have wanted to been onboard that Carnival ship for more than 4 days. We have not been on any cruises since the one out of Mobile....but I hope to be able to cruise more often in the future. Would like to try Royal Caribbean and some other lines to see what they are like.....but we sure did like our Princess cruise. Also...I would LOVE to do one of those Viking River cruises or something like that...but they cost an arm and a leg!
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 6:58 pm

I have always wanted to go to Mayan Ruins. How much time did you get to tour the ruins on the trip to Chichen Itza?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:00 pm

riceme wrote:
I am in agreement. I've gotten a belly full of that place and taken hiatus on several occasions, but I don't think I've ever been this ticked off and fed-up.

Neko already knows this, but I only hung around PDF long enough to read Bob's "Message to EE" thread until Boards deleted it, then I hit the high road.

Why did Boards delete it? I read a few of the posts before making my final post. I never got a confirmation post to delete my username. No biggie.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:10 pm

T-REX wrote:
I would never do a cruise . can you imagine the smell on that boat right about now?

I seem to be snake-bit with boats. I love 'em, but still have my problems... Surprised
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:12 pm

Not nearly enough time. We had to get off the boat and then we had to take a bus and once we got to Chichen Itza we only had maybe 3 hours to see it. There are trails and stuff through the woods there that we would have loved to explore, but we didn't have enough time. So...that is the drawback of cruises where you are only in port for X amount of hours and have to get back to the ship. Still for the $500 or so it cost the two of us for the cruise and cabin and shipboard dining..we could not have flown to Mexico and stayed there for that cheap.

But I highly recommend seeing some of the Mayan Ruins. On our first cruise we saw Tulum and that was very interesting as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 7:14 pm

Y'all are right though about being stuck on that boat right now..it must be a nightmare. That kind of experience might would turn me off on cruises....but so far our experience has been mostly positive.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 9:50 pm

nekochan wrote:
I've had it over there. Not saying I won't go back but I almost feel as though Eric's departure was a "sign" that PDF is not the place to be.

This forum seems to have come a long way since I first signed up. Glad to be back.

Youkoso!!! Nekochan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyWed Feb 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Thank you Hallmark. Smile
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 2:18 pm

Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

Why did Boards delete it? I read a few of the posts before making my final post. I never got a confirmation post to delete my username. No biggie.

I believe because TB aka WTM complained that he was being victimized, as per usual.

All you need to do in order to delete your profile is click on Profile... at the very bottom of the page that takes you, there will be a box next to the question, "Delete your account? [BOX] Click here to delete your account. This is a one-way action. You will receive an e-mail to validate this deletion." Then click "OKAY." Is that the process you followed?

Just logged in over @The Cesspool and your profile still shows as active:

http://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/u100
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyThu Feb 14, 2013 7:39 pm

riceme wrote:
Eric wrote:
riceme wrote:

I believe because TB aka WTM complained that he was being victimized, as per usual.

All you need to do in order to delete your profile is click on Profile... at the very bottom of the page that takes you, there will be a box next to the question, "Delete your account? [BOX] Click here to delete your account. This is a one-way action. You will receive an e-mail to validate this deletion." Then click "OKAY." Is that the process you followed?

Just logged in over @The Cesspool and your profile still shows as active:

http://pensacoladiscussion.forumotion.com/u100

I did all that and NEVER got that confirmational e-mail.
Back to top Go down
alecto

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 pm

I love cruises, love being on the open water in blue water territory.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships EmptyFri Feb 15, 2013 1:01 pm

alecto wrote:
I love cruises, love being on the open water in blue water territory.

Here is why I like boats. Good food, good friends, good music, lots of alcohol...

This area is only accessed by boat. (Well, I guess you could swim there if you wuz crazy.)

http://ericericson.net/MemorialDay07.htm
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This is why I don't do cruise ships   This is why I don't do cruise ships Empty

Back to top Go down

This is why I don't do cruise ships
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next