Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago Empty
PostSubject: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 8:14 pm

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Deadliest-Global-City-163874546.html

Chicago likes to compare itself to other world cities, so Ward Room thought it would find out how we rank in violence. It turns out no one can top us. Among what are considered Alpha world cities, Chicago has the highest murder rate -- higher even than the Third World metropolises of Mexico City and Sao Paolo. Here’s how we rank in murders per 100,000 among cities we consider our peers, based on a projected murder total of 505 for this year.

Singapore 0.4
Tokyo 0.5
Hong Kong 0.6
Berlin 1.0
Sydney 1.0
London 1.4
Toronto 1.7
Amsterdam 1.8
Paris 4.4
New York 6.0
Los Angeles 7.5
Mexico City 8.0
Moscow 9.6
Sao Paolo 15.6
Chicago 19.4

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Deadliest-Global-City-163874546.html#ixzz22FjZUcGE
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 9:46 pm

Well, at least they're first in something!

pale
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyTue Jul 31, 2012 10:02 pm

I don't know, seems to me that when a city, state or country has strict gun laws, more gun related crimes are committed, I would rather live in a country were everybody legally carries that way the bad guys are playing Russian Roulette. Living in Rio de Janeiro, the only guns are either the police or the drug dealers, the normal Joe's have no defense at all. It's give up your money or die. either from the Polica Militar or from the Traficants.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:09 am

My first job out of college was in Chicago. I lived in a brick and iron carriage house apartment in an urban storybook setting, and within eyesight was Cabrini Green, a literal war zone where I would make my way to tutor kids on the weekends. It was more intimidating, violent and bleak than any place in any country in which I have ever been. Eventually, drugs, decay and gang activity resulted in the project being razed. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life to be in my own country and witness such blight....working to move a mountain to stop the culture of violence.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Deadliest-Global-City-163874546.html

Chicago likes to compare itself to other world cities, so Ward Room thought it would find out how we rank in violence. It turns out no one can top us. Among what are considered Alpha world cities, Chicago has the highest murder rate -- higher even than the Third World metropolises of Mexico City and Sao Paolo. Here’s how we rank in murders per 100,000 among cities we consider our peers, based on a projected murder total of 505 for this year.

Singapore 0.4
Tokyo 0.5
Hong Kong 0.6
Berlin 1.0
Sydney 1.0
London 1.4
Toronto 1.7
Amsterdam 1.8
Paris 4.4
New York 6.0
Los Angeles 7.5
Mexico City 8.0
Moscow 9.6
Sao Paolo 15.6
Chicago 19.4

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Deadliest-Global-City-163874546.html#ixzz22FjZUcGE

Did you even read the article from which you pulled that snippet?

But Chicago’s murder rate is not proof that gun control doesn’t work. It’s proof that, in a country with one gun per citizen, local gun laws are meaningless.

Let’s look at Tokyo, one of the safest cities on that list, with a murder rate of 0.5 per 100,000 citizens. Japan’s constitution does not guarantee its citizens the right to bear arms. Handguns are prohibited. Semi-automatic weapons are prohibited. Automatic rifles are prohibited. The only exceptions are hunting shotguns and target-shooting pistols. The penalty for illegal possession of a gun is up to 15 years in prison. Japan has a population of 127 million. In 2006, two people were murdered with guns.

Japan starts with the principle that citizens have no right to a gun, and forces them to prove they need one. The United States starts with the principle that guns are an inalienable right, and forces the government to justify banning them.

The number-one factor in predicting crime is not guns -- or lack of guns. It is concentrated urban poverty. Because of Chicago’s history as a segregated city, we have a lot of that.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Deadliest-Global-City-163874546.html#ixzz22JBfcXQ4
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 10:33 am

SheSurfs wrote:
My first job out of college was in Chicago. I lived in a brick and iron carriage house apartment in an urban storybook setting, and within eyesight was Cabrini Green, a literal war zone where I would make my way to tutor kids on the weekends. It was more intimidating, violent and bleak than any place in any country in which I have ever been. Eventually, drugs, decay and gang activity resulted in the project being razed. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life to be in my own country and witness such blight....working to move a mountain to stop the culture of violence.

Wow! Cabrini Green! I thought they tore that place down years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 12:14 pm

Yes, they razed it not long after I worked there. Tells you how ancient I am.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:01 pm

Salinsky2012 wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Singapore 0.4
Tokyo 0.5
Hong Kong 0.6
Berlin 1.0
Sydney 1.0
London 1.4
Toronto 1.7
Amsterdam 1.8
Paris 4.4
New York 6.0
Los Angeles 7.5
Mexico City 8.0
Moscow 9.6
Sao Paolo 15.6
Chicago 19.4

Did you even read the article from which you pulled that snippet?

But Chicago’s murder rate is not proof that gun control doesn’t work. It’s proof that, in a country with one gun per citizen, local gun laws are meaningless.

Let’s look at Tokyo, one of the safest cities on that list, with a murder rate of 0.5 per 100,000 citizens. Japan’s constitution does not guarantee its citizens the right to bear arms. Handguns are prohibited. Semi-automatic weapons are prohibited. Automatic rifles are prohibited. The only exceptions are hunting shotguns and target-shooting pistols. The penalty for illegal possession of a gun is up to 15 years in prison. Japan has a population of 127 million. In 2006, two people were murdered with guns.

Japan starts with the principle that citizens have no right to a gun, and forces them to prove they need one. The United States starts with the principle that guns are an inalienable right, and forces the government to justify banning them.

The number-one factor in predicting crime is not guns -- or lack of guns. It is concentrated urban poverty. Because of Chicago’s history as a segregated city, we have a lot of that.

http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward-room/The-Deadliest-Global-City-163874546.html#ixzz22JBfcXQ4

Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago Young_frankenstein
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago   Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha"  city in the world..Chicago Empty

Back to top Go down

Gun Control produces most deadly "alpha" city in the world..Chicago
Page 1 of 1