Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?

Go down 
+2
Eddard
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? Empty
PostSubject: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptyThu Feb 12, 2015 8:52 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2013/11/08/which-of-the-11-american-nations-do-you-live-in/?tid=hybrid_sidebar_alt1_strip_1

Red states and blue states? Flyover country and the coasts? How simplistic. Colin Woodard, a reporter at the Portland Press Herald and author of several books, says North America can be broken neatly into 11 separate nation-states, where dominant cultures explain our voting behaviors and attitudes toward everything from social issues to the role of government.

“The borders of my eleven American nations are reflected in many different types of maps — including maps showing the distribution of linguistic dialects, the spread of cultural artifacts, the prevalence of different religious denominations, and the county-by-county breakdown of voting in virtually every hotly contested presidential race in our history,” Woodard writes in the Fall 2013 issue of Tufts University’s alumni magazine. “Our continent’s famed mobility has been reinforcing, not dissolving, regional differences, as people increasingly sort themselves into like-minded communities.”

Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? Upinarms-map

Deep South: Dixie still traces its roots to the caste system established by masters who tried to duplicate West Indies-style slave society, Woodard writes. The Old South values states’ rights and local control and fights the expansion of federal powers.
Back to top Go down
Eddard

Eddard

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 3:05 pm

That map puts New Orleans into Yankeedom.
LOL   I know they are liberal in their voting but I just don't think of people over there as Yankees. Somebody hasn't visited New Orleans often enough. The culture there definitely isn't yankee.

It looks more based on voting patterns than anything else.

It's pretty close if that's the only thing you consider.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptyFri Feb 13, 2015 10:27 pm

Yeah, and Alaska is in the same nation as California... lol. Swing again. We're not in the same nation as anybody. Most people don't even realize we're part of the US. Not even Americans. Living here is like living on the dark side of the moon.
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 7:20 am

I'm sorry - can't relate to the map. I live in PARADISE and it's not listed. Wink Has to be bogus.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 11:18 am

Paradise is where you allow it to be.

Too bad so many people miss that boat...
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 11:42 am

SheWrites wrote:
I'm sorry - can't relate to the map.  I live in PARADISE and it's not listed.  Wink Has to be bogus.

Wait... *I* live in paradise and we live almost 5000 miles apart! rendeer albino scratch
Back to top Go down
Linda

Linda

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptySat Feb 14, 2015 6:37 pm

True...it's a heart and mind thing! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptySun Feb 15, 2015 5:08 pm

Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS47Eo92Emz5Tti3UW-TW0Xw5hzWnVXMZBH0lpj6Vi3rP471yLYXA

*****CHUCKLE*****

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C11MzbEcHlw

Wink
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:04 am

Good luck dividing Texas up.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?   Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which of the 11 Americas do you live in ?
Page 1 of 1