Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.

Go down 
+2
TEOTWAWKI
Eric
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. Empty
PostSubject: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 1:51 pm

Donating to charity, especially in a time of crisis, can be intimidating. There are so many options. How do you know the organization you choose will use the money effectively? You might pick one with a history, a pedigree, a name you can trust. You might pick the American Red Cross. petunias that.

During Hurricane Sandy, in New York, the Red Cross was impossible to avoid. They were soliciting donations. They were in the press, calling their operation "near flawless." They were doling out "digital hugs." What they were not doing was very much actual relief work.

The Red Cross' operation on the ground was criticized from all sides nearly as soon as it began, and as Barry Ritholtz at Bloomberg points out, the organization declined any requests to disclose how it spent money after the storm. At one point, it went as far as claiming that its Sandy response was a "trade secret."

Where did the money go? ProPublica's Justin Elliott and Jesse Eisinger and NPR's Laura Sullivan investigated the Red Cross' response to Hurricanes Sandy and Isaac, and the wastefulness and incompetence they found is astonishing.

Some representative passages from their report, titled "The Red Cross' Secret Disaster":

During Isaac, Red Cross supervisors ordered dozens of trucks usually deployed to deliver aid to be driven around nearly empty instead, "just to be seen," one of the drivers, Jim Dunham, recalls.

The volunteers "were told to drive around and look like you're giving disaster relief," Rieckenberg says. The official was anticipating a visit by Red Cross brass and wanted to impress them with the level of activity, he says.

During Sandy, emergency vehicles were taken away from relief work and assigned to serve as backdrops for press conferences, angering disaster responders on the ground.

Handicapped victims "slept in their wheelchairs for days" because the charity had not secured proper cots. In one shelter, sex offenders were "all over including playing in children's area" because Red Cross staff "didn't know/follow procedures."

In one case, the Red Cross had to throw out tens of thousands of meals because it couldn't find the people who needed them.
He described what happened when he advised his bosses that a suggested feeding plan wouldn't help storm victims. "I was quite bluntly told that they didn't care – it was the plan that was going to make the ARC [American Red Cross] look the best to the local politicians," he wrote.

Until the Red Cross makes some demonstrable effort to clean itself up, stop donating. There are plenty of other good organizations out there.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 2:14 pm

The Red Cross is directly related to the Rothschild group globalist elite i.e. the red Shield. It serves many nefarious purposes for them the only group I give to is the Salvation Army they are legitimately a caring aid organization. They see to it that the majority of the donations get to the people that need to be helped
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 3:36 pm

I donate to the North West Fl Blood center..  Not only blood, plasma, platelets when needed, but also money..

Last edited by Jake92 on Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 5:11 pm

I used to give blood there, but they told me my blood has antibodies to hepatitis. They said they couldn't take it anymore because they can't tell if I have hepatitis. About 10 years later, I talked to them to see if their tests were any better. They said some of their tests were different and they tested my blood again... same answer.

Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 6:10 pm

I quit giving to the Red Cross years ago.
Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 8:44 pm

I worked for nwfbc a long time ago... even drove the blood mobile.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 10:54 pm

Hepatitis is normally a disqual for life..
I'm at 5 gallons, about half whole blood, the rest plasma and platelets.. They love my platelets for cancer patients and newborn babies.. I'm also on the bone marrow list, but haven't been called yet......
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. EmptyThu Oct 30, 2014 4:23 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
I quit giving to the Red Cross years ago.

Never was a fan of the RC...from time in the military to hurricane shelters...not impressed with their organization whatsoever...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.   Gawker:  Don't donate to Red Cross. Empty

Back to top Go down

Gawker: Don't donate to Red Cross.
Page 1 of 1