Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? Empty
PostSubject: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/07/magazine/so-bill-gates-has-this-idea-for-a-history-class.html?_r=0
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 9:19 am

I hated history because it was nothing but rote memory (something I am poor at) and boring. Anything that makes it interesting might be better.

However, since Bill Gates pushed Common Core upon our schools, I'm kinda skeptical. I'm not well versed in a Common Core, but what little I have seen looked very odd... and not in a good way.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 4:29 pm

I think we should be Leary of why bill gates is involved in school at all. He doesn't believe in education
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyTue Sep 09, 2014 10:31 pm

Great find, Bob. I am a huge fan of Great Courses and eat them like candy, and know exactly how Gates feels when he gets fired up by a great teacher. What is so strange about this article is that he has taken such a low-tech, limiting way to teach kids instead of taking the obvious, the Great Course concept and broadening that so students could learn from teachers with whom they connect, no matter who/where they are. Why not take all these courses, the Stanford youtube course, etc. and let kids choose them online like doughnuts? Same required courses, just taught by teachers who can teach to specific learning styles and personalities. You chose the UCLA instructor, I will stick with the AP high school teacher in Kansas. Same objectives, same tested material - different ways to skin the educational cat. Gates' idea has a bunch of kids grinding down to one approach. It is clear he doesn't have a clue about pedagogy to say that his way of learning will work for most if any kids.

However, I do agree with Gates that all learning (and he did not discover this; this is a known pedagogical premise) is made easier when connections are made to what is known - and interesting - to the learner. As a teacher who prided myself on really inspiring kids in ways that grab them (Need to learn physics and calculus? Let's build roller coasters), there is an arrogance about him watching one set of DVDs and then walking into a school with the presumption that he knows what we should teach…especially since he dumbed down the national curriculum with the Common Core…probably the most boring, numbing educational program since the 1890s.

Yes, to the course he is suggesting…but why stop there…give them all to the kids…every good, willing educator on the planet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:37 pm

Common core is NOT a good thing for this country. It will be a futher deteriation of this countries IQ and place in the world.

Stanford mathematician and former member of the Common Core Validation Committee Dr. James Milgram, told listeners that if the controversial standards are not repealed, America’s place as a competitor in the technology industry will ultimately be severely undermined.
http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/09/02/common-core-blockbuster-mathematician-dr-jim-milgram-warns-common-core-will-destroy

Not to mention common core gives more power to the federal gov and less to local in regards to schools. Centralization of power to control.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2dwZd9HgmM

Why is bill gates so invested in education? Ask yourself, because he didnt even go to college and has made numerous comments of how unimportant he thought education was.

bill gates cares about one thing, progressive movements.

Think about that please...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:42 pm

we all agree, so why do we still have it?

why is this being forced on us?

why is bill gates even allowed to interfear in whats in the education system. hes not a academic person...

we better wake up

I tell you, Im angry about common core and it pains me because I really want to send my grandkids to private school because of it.

We have become a society that just allows this crap to occur and do nothing about it.

Mad
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 7:57 pm

At Say No to Common Core At this web site, there are tons of good directions to help get rid of Common Core.

A quote off this page.
Quote :
When individual states signed up for the Race to the Top assessment program to receive funding from our federal government, they agreed to align their curricula with the Common Core State Standards, before the standards were even written.  

The federal government has unconstitutionally violated our 10th Amendment by exercising power over education.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? EmptyWed Sep 10, 2014 8:04 pm

[quote="Eric"]At Say No to Common Core  At this web site, there are tons of good directions to help get rid of Common Core.

A quote off this page.
Quote :
When individual states signed up for the Race to the Top assessment program to receive funding from our federal government, they agreed to align their curricula with the Common Core State Standards, before the standards were even written.  

The federal government has unconstitutionally violated our 10th Amendment by exercising power over education.[/quote]

Thanks

I will proudly sign my real name to that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?   Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history.  What say you? Empty

Back to top Go down

Bill Gates changing the way high schools teach history. What say you?
Page 1 of 1