Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  Empty
PostSubject: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 am

I had no idea.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 am

Chrissy, that is well and good to know, but the hacker needs to have your card in order to complete a transaction. The PIN code is useless without it.

Capturing a PIN code on a door lock would be useful to a burglar. My dogs would go berserk if someone walked up to our front door, though. I don't have that kinda lock anyway.

Capturing the PIN code on a car's keyless entry might be useful to the bad guys.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 9:22 am

When we do away with magnetic stripe credit cards and go with RFID cards, I will be getting a sleeve to shield my card from theft.  As I understand it, all the bad guys need to do is get close to you for your card to transmit it's information to them.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 11:38 am

After my debit card information was stolen twice in the same month the sheriff's department explained to me how the thief uses card skimmers to steal the "card" without stealing the card, if you catch my drift. I have never used the card swiper at a fuel pump since then. I go inside and pay with cash or I hand my card to the teller. Even if it's -40.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 7:58 pm

I didn't mention skimmers because this was a discussion of ATM PIN code thefts using infrared.

I assume that the skimmers also capture PIN codes and there is no need to use infrared readers to capture PIN codes off keypads.

Skimmers are real threats, as you well know, Ricey.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptySun Aug 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Understood. I was just addressing your comment that the hacker needed to have your card in order to complete a transaction, which in context of the video is correct, but stated independently is not... but you know that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 3:24 am

I'm help. I don't know what a skimmer is

I always worry about my card info being stolen

When I make a purchase I always complete with clear/ cancel

I wouldn't mind having one of these things to at with though so when I came home from work I could see where people were before I walked in the door lol same for when I get to work or Locating varmints that have snuck into my garage Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 3:25 am

Thought

I bet it doesn't pick up snakes?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 9:34 am

Back to top Go down
PkrBum

PkrBum

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 10:32 am

A little tip that could help if your card is lost or stolen... instead of signing the back of my card I write "see ID". Many don't bother to look or ask for my id... but it could help.
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  EmptyMon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 am

Chrissy, "clear/cancel" ain't gonna help you. I never, ever use a debit/credit/payment machine that's outdoors. Not one at a bank, a fuel station,... anywhere. That was what I learned from having my debit card information stolen.

Dude, I also write in bold print: "ASK FOR ID" but people rarely do, even if they turn it over and read it. And that does not help in the case of card skimmers. Also, my debit card has my photo on it, which is an added security feature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT    iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT  Empty

Back to top Go down

iPhone ATM PIN code hack- HOW TO PREVENT
Page 1 of 1