Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal

Go down 
+2
Eric
TEOTWAWKI
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal Empty
PostSubject: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:34 am

Map of progress

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&t=h&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=202977755949863934429.0004c658eb30f9c4fb1c0&dg=feature

2014 - Pisa, Italy
Last Updated by Pragmatic on Apr 24
inquisitr.com

Approximately four dozen migrant workers from the outbreak area came ashore, allegedly illegally, in Pisa, Italy. The workers are reportedly being isolated with symptom commonly associated with the Ebola virus. The migrant workers have reportedly presented with conjunctivitis, blood around the eye, and fever.

The WHO has deemed this strain of the Ebola virus as “entirely new” yet close to the Zaire strain. Due to the difference in the infection strain, false-negative test results were allegedly found for several weeks, allowing the infection to possibly spread further. Patients who reportedly received false-negative Ebola test results were permitted to return to their family and daily lives to recover from what doctors felt might be either the flu or a bad case of food poisoning. If the report is accurate, containment of the Ebola virus to Africa has failed and now residents in Europe are at “severe risk.”
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am

That stuff is bad juju.

When it comes to the US, I am going to turn somewhat antisocial for the duration. No concerts, Gallery Nights, and such.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:50 am

90% death rate with no vaccine or cure once infected. This stuff spreads sort of like AIDS so normal precautions are sufficient. But it does mutate over time so I hope the Euros get a handle on it soon.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 10:54 am

Bleeding out through every orifice in your body doesn't sound all that pleasant....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:01 am

I heard on the news that it can be transmitted by sweat. So, just TOUCHING someone could be a fatal mistake.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:07 am

I think I will use the Howard Hughes method of protection...FEMA here I come...locked gate...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:21 am

My dad flew Howard Hughes around for a while. I don't know the details about how often, only that he flew Hughes around. Dad was a Senior TWA transcontinental captain.

Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal Bumps110

Hughes was so paranoid, it's a wonder he let ANYBODY fly a plane he was on.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 11:41 am

And even if you survive somehow, you will likely have other health problems. An article on CBC.com says this:

Quote :
He said Ebola survivors are at risk for arthralgia, a type of joint and bone pain that can feel similar to arthritis. Ebola survivors also frequently report complications with eyes and vision, an inflammatory condition known as uveitis which can cause excess tearing, eye sensitivity, eye inflammation and even blindness.

"No one knows exactly why," Safdar told CBS News. "Certain infections or certain viruses have been known to cause uveitis. It is treated with giving steroids and primarily something that will dilate the pupil."

It's not completely known how long a person can continue to shed the virus once the acute infection has subsided. It's likely that the recovery from Ebola varies as much as the incubation period of the virus, which can last anywhere between 2 to 21 days. According to the World Health Organization, a lab worker who contracted Ebola on the job was found to have traces of the virus in his semen 61 days after the initial infection. Though it has not been documented, this could theoretically mean a man could infect his partner during sexual intercourse weeks after he seemed to get over the disease.
Back to top Go down
Paix

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 3:53 pm

A few points. The mortality rate is up to 90 percent but is currently running around 60 percent. Catching symptoms early to replace coagulation agents and fluids can bring down the rate, even though that is still a frightening stat.

There are some treatments that are close to clinical trial and I expect since it is Africa, a few may make it under the radar if the spread rate starts to look exponential. One is a monoclonal antibody therapy that attaches to errant cells causing the immune system to attack the pathogen.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyWed Jul 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Paix wrote:
A few points. The mortality rate is up to 90 percent but is currently running around 60 percent. Catching symptoms early to replace coagulation agents and fluids can bring down the rate, even though that is still a frightening stat.

There are some treatments that are close to clinical trial and I expect since it is Africa, a few may make it under the radar if the spread rate starts to look exponential. One is a monoclonal antibody therapy that attaches to errant cells causing the immune system to attack the pathogen.

Even a 60% death rate is phenomenal. I think it depends on which viral strain it is.

http://www.virology.ws/2012/01/18/how-lethal-is-ebolavirus/

Not good news that it has left the area. This is the largest outbreak in history and it has now left he building.

This is very worrisome if this gets into a very populated metropolitan city.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 9:31 am

According to this article in Scientific American, a vaccine has been developed.  It is effective in non-human species, but there is no money for human trials, so, we're not going to get a vaccine soon.

Quote :
Can you give an estimate for when we might have an effective Ebola virus vaccine?

My guess is anywhere from two to six years. I hate to say this, but it really depends on financial support for the small companies that develop these vaccines. Human studies are expensive and require a lot of government dollars. With Ebola, there’s a small global market—there’s not a big incentive for a large pharmaceutical company to make an Ebola vaccine, so it’s going to require government funding.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 5:48 pm

Eric wrote:
According to this article in Scientific American, a vaccine has been developed.  It is effective in non-human species, but there is no money for human trials, so, we're not going to get a vaccine soon.

Quote :
Can you give an estimate for when we might have an effective Ebola virus vaccine?

My guess is anywhere from two to six years. I hate to say this, but it really depends on financial support for the small companies that develop these vaccines. Human studies are expensive and require a lot of government dollars. With Ebola, there’s a small global market—there’s not a big incentive for a large pharmaceutical company to make an Ebola vaccine, so it’s going to require government funding.

since when is there never any money for vaccine research?

I gave a link to a article on the thread I started about this about vaccines.

perhaps it wasn't money they needed but human testing?

or maaaaybeeeee this little scare will land some good ole American cash for someone, somewhere Wink 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 7:13 pm

Why are we allowing a hospital in Atlanta to bring an Ebola patient in?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/special-hospital-unit-readies-ebola-patient-n169951

That pretty much settles the question of if it will arrive on our Continent. American citizens who contract ebola in Africa should be treated in Africa by any means necessary, but I cannot see why they have to be brought to an uninfected country for treatment.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 pm

I just remember in Juraissac Park, when Jeff Goldblum says:

"Life finds a way."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyThu Jul 31, 2014 9:24 pm

Otter wrote:
Why are we allowing a hospital in Atlanta to bring an Ebola patient in?

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebola-virus-outbreak/special-hospital-unit-readies-ebola-patient-n169951

That pretty much settles the question of if it will arrive on our Continent. American citizens who contract ebola in Africa should be treated in Africa by any means necessary, but I cannot see why they have to be brought to an uninfected country for treatment.

Well this fulfills my suspicions.  Mad 
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 12:02 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Bleeding out through every orifice in your body doesn't sound all that pleasant....

We don't need any of that shit up here. I'm with E... that sounds like bad juju. I've been looking for another hermit-hole up in the mountains near the mine site so I'd only have to come to town once a month or so, but this brings me fresh motivation.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 12:52 am

Save me a spot on the floor near the fire if this stuff gets out of control...I'll be the guy in the hazmat suit with a gas mask on standing on your porch knocking...
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 1:51 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Save me a spot on the floor near the fire if this stuff gets out of control...I'll be the guy in the hazmat suit with a gas mask on standing on your porch knocking...

It'll be the cabin with the decontam chamber on the front porch. Don't forget the secret password.
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 am

Does anything good come from Africa?

It seems to be the pit. Hurricane starts, aids, ebola......dam
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 10:01 am

Those hazmat "Level A" suits are very hot and uncomfortable. I was required to be certified for hazmat work when I worked at Florida's DEP.

I have great empathy for those medical workers that wear those things for hours at a time without a break.

To help keep cool, we wore ice pack vests under the suits and I doubt the medical staff in Africa has that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 5:32 pm

The good news is..............................

U.S. government seeking to test Ebola vaccine on humans: reports Wink 

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/31/us-usa-ebola-vaccine-idUSKBN0G02T320140731
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyFri Aug 01, 2014 8:52 pm

otter.............................

In the U.S., the prevalence (i.e., the proportion of people currently infected) is 4.7 per 100,000, and the incidence (i.e., the rate of new infections) is 3.6 per 100,000. Compare that to Central American countries (all data per 100,000):

Mexico: Prevalence: 33; Incidence: 23
Belize: Prev: 51; Inc: 40
Guatemala: Prev: 110; Inc: 60
Honduras: Prev: 82; Inc: 54
El Salvador: Prev: 34; Inc: 25
Nicaragua: Prev: 55; Inc: 38
Costa Rica: Prev: 12; Inc: 11
Panama: Prev: 64; Inc: 48

you can verify the data by going to this link
http://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2014/07/an_outbreak_of_political_correctness_in_science_media.html

You can click on each country and see the data from WHO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 9:22 pm

Do we have a case here yet?

I have limited service. Honestly I think alaska may have better service than Georgia
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 9:43 pm

*~Tree~* wrote:
Do we have a case here yet?

I have limited service. Honestly I think alaska may have better service than Georgia

Whatever you're talking about, you're wrong. If it's internet, it's impossible. We pay into the hundreds of dollars a month for very limited service. There is no such thing as an unlimited plan here. If you're talking about mobile service, you're also wrong. There is no such thing as 4G service here, to begin with. 3G is as good as it gets, and that's a big maybe IF you're in the right place only in Anchorage or Fairbanks. I could go on and on. I know you were only joking, but seriously, I can't think of anything up here we get good service with.

Oh yeah, good lip service?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal EmptyTue Aug 05, 2014 9:44 pm

None that was contracted in the US.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal   Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal Empty

Back to top Go down

Outbreak ! Ebola coming to a continent near you...90% fatal
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next