Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Strange Olympics

Go down 
+2
hallmarkgrad
yelladawg
6 posters
AuthorMessage
yelladawg

yelladawg

The Strange Olympics Empty
PostSubject: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:35 am

Yesterday was the viewing of the Olympics Ladies synchronized swimming. To me this is ridiculous. It made me think about the winter Olympics thing called curling which I think is a joke.
Before the Games started last week I met a dude who was pissed because golf was not an Olympic event. There are probably people who want NASCAR racing included.
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:43 am

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:48 am

Then there's the Olympic boner at a medal ceremony (warning - outline of a "member" clearly visible)

http://gawker.com/5932434/olympic-rower-denies-boner-during-medal-ceremony-its-not-erect
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:54 am

The 2016 Rio Olympics will include golf. I agree regarding the ridiculousness of some of the sports. I'm still fuming that they dropped baseball. Mad
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 2:58 pm

Salinsky2012 wrote:
The 2016 Rio Olympics will include golf. I agree regarding the ridiculousness of some of the sports. I'm still fuming that they dropped baseball. Mad

If golf is a sport then miniature golf should be included.
And hell, why not yard tiddlywinks?
Think of the spellbound crowd during a tether ball fight for the gold.
Frisbie catching dogs could be right up there with dressage.
Team Croquet events would be wildly popular.
The excitement generated by a Mullet Toss would be incalculable.

I have another plan to make the runners run at a whole new level. Have someone who is pretty fast run at the rear of a bunch runners holding a large snake.
Back to top Go down
Granny4Peace

Granny4Peace

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:01 pm

Yella, you should have your own Olympics! I'd buy a ticket. I might even enter the crochet event. I'm dang good!

Thanks for the first laugh I've had all day.
Back to top Go down
http://photobucket.com/g4p
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 3:04 pm

Bring it on!!!
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:57 pm

In the doctor's office watching the synchronized swimmers and imagining them to be chickens....I got so tickled that I started laughing....and pretty soon so were a few other waiting patience.

I have learned that that my respect for a sport tends to be inversely related to the amount of makeup the athletes wear to participate in it.

Kelly Slater has won more world titles than any athlete in any sport and still the Olympics thumb their noses at it....but thank goodness we still have table tennis.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
In the doctor's office watching the synchronized swimmers and imagining them to be chickens....I got so tickled that I started laughing....and pretty soon so were a few other waiting patience.

I have learned that that my respect for a sport tends to be inversely related to the amount of makeup the athletes wear to participate in it.

Kelly Slater has won more world titles than any athlete in any sport and still the Olympics thumb their noses at it....but thank goodness we still have table tennis.

I was so good at table tennis when I was younger I even beat orientals....is that racist ?...I am sorry if it is ...I just get excited ya know when I talk about ping pong....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:03 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
I was so good at table tennis when I was younger I even beat orientals....is that racist ?...I am sorry if it is ...I just get excited ya know when I talk about ping pong....

Teo, did you know how ping pong got it's name?

Edit: And how is it that America fielded two women's beach volleyball teams?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 8:29 pm

EricEricson wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Teo, did you know how ping pong got it's name?

Edit: And how is it that America fielded two women's beach volleyball teams?

No I just figured that the orientals called it that instead of K-nip K-nop.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 pm

TEOTWAWKI wrote:

It is the Doppler effect that the sound the ball makes as it comes toward and away from you. It had several other names before people settled on ping pong.

It was in one of my toilet bibles. I think it is titled Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. We have several volumes of this literary genius.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:19 pm

EricEricson wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

It is the Doppler effect that the sound the ball makes as it comes toward and away from you. It had several other names before people settled on ping pong.

It was in one of my toilet bibles. I think it is titled Uncle John's Bathroom Reader. We have several volumes of this literary genius.

Yes we used the Doppler phase shift on our firecontrol radars to calculate the bogey's speed. Just before Bird's away and target destroyed...
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:26 pm

I use the doppler shot when the opponent is too far from the net. I just dopple it over the net. It is a good shot to use. Maybe we can have a game some times. I have a pretty nice table..I am not near as good as I used now that I only have one eye, but I am still pretty fair..
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:45 pm

EricEricson wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Uncle John's main literary opponent was actually a man named Seymour Butts, another Bathroom Reader author who may possibly have been an obscure relative of Bob.
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:49 pm

yelladawg wrote:
EricEricson wrote:
TEOTWAWKI wrote:

Uncle John's main literary opponent was actually a man named Seymour Butts, another Bathroom Reader author who may possibly have been an obscure relative of Bob.

Yes an associate of I.P. Freely.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 pm

There is a car dealer up here that has a dude named Seymour Trucks and a gal named Delois Price that sell their cars 'n trucks.
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:18 pm

EricEricson wrote:

It's little gems like these that make rooting around the forums worthy...something to bore friends and family with and earn me invitations to cocktail parties around the globe Rolling Eyes .

The onomatopoeia of k-nip, k-nop is awesome...and makes me even more convinced that it's gotta go....

The Strange Olympics Stick-men-ping-pong-players-playing-ping-pong
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:45 pm

when i played table tennis in the service with my friends i earned the nic "the wall" because the ball always came back. i thought i was pretty good until i entered a tournament and an Asian dude slaughtered me. it was a blood letting from the start.

i never even scored a point on him. it was almost fun to watch even as i was being beaten by this guy who looked like it was so casual.

good times.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:26 am

Table tennis used to be a big deal when I was a kid. They used to have a city tournament at Sanders beach. The city was much smaller back then and it was a big event. Don and Larry Caton , and their father Dave were the people to beat. Don was in my age group and he beat me in the finals 3 years in a row. Then he moved up a age bracket and I won. It was a lot of fun. We played at the YMCA a lot. It was hard to find a good table with a good playing area. The city asked Don and I to go different schools and give little demos to draw people into the tournament. It was fun and I made many lifelong friends. My Table Tennis adventures fell to women, booze and fast cars. . Thanks for bring back some great memories.......
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 4:31 am

EricEricson wrote:
There is a car dealer up here that has a dude named Seymour Trucks and a gal named Delois Price that sell their cars 'n trucks.

My Mother worked for the phone company back in the 30s in Mulberry Florida. Ms Day worked on the day shift and Ms Night worked on the Night shift. It was big news back then. One of those stories Mom never tired of telling
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 11:31 am

I wasn't into Ping Pong. I WAS into Foosball. I majored in Foosball and Stupid Center at PJC for 3 years... full time... never graduated from PJC (transferred to UWF). I loved the hardball tables made by Tornado. Lance Enfinger was the only guy in Pensacola that was as good as I was. No kidding. I was so fast, people would routinely ask me which man I hit the ball with.

There used to be a bar named The Golden Tub at 65th & Lillian. They had a foosball table and the loosers bought the winners a beer. I could put up a quarter and drink free all night. Thems were the good ol' days...

Foosball anyone?
The Strange Olympics 1csrf10
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 2:59 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
EricEricson wrote:

It's little gems like these that make rooting around the forums worthy...something to bore friends and family with and earn me invitations to cocktail parties around the globe Rolling Eyes .

The onomatopoeia of k-nip, k-nop is awesome...and makes me even more convinced that it's gotta go....

The Strange Olympics Stick-men-ping-pong-players-playing-ping-pong

Shesurfs, you are eligible for the Whazzat? Award with your use of onomatopoeia in a post. It has never been used, not even by Bob or TEO, and Thread-Bear is cursing his luck for never having used it. Hang on to your mouse and more info will follow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Strange Olympics   The Strange Olympics Empty

Back to top Go down

The Strange Olympics
Page 1 of 1