Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Stuff that grosses me out

Go down 
+2
riceme
hallmarkgrad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

Stuff that grosses me out Empty
PostSubject: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 7:21 am

I guess I dont under stand.  We preach to our children to try to eat good food, use moderation in our meals and use good manners.  So what do we do?  We promote jamming  hot dogs in your mouth  and win a prize.   Same at Stooderville with their "Sink the Battle ship" sandwich eating contest. Bad enough for adults to do it but to encourage children to pig out and and over eat is just plain wrong...

Stuff that grosses me out Bilde?Site=DP&Date=20130705&Category=NEWS01&ArtNo=307050016&Ref=AR&MaxW=300&Border=0&Contestants-dig-into-dogs-at-celebration
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:24 am

I keep seeing articles about the idiot who ate 67 hotdogs in a hotdog eating contest yesterday and that grosses me out too. I think of it and it makes me gag a little bit every time I see the headline. And I agree with you, HG... way to promote healthy eating habits for children... not to mention, what a waste of food. WTF??
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:10 am

I've written on the PNJ comments section in the past about this idiotic practice. It is dangerous, incredibly unhealthy, and can cause death due to aspiration (sucking food into the lungs) or sudden gastroparesis (complete shut down of the digestive system due to massive overload.)

I started to comment on this one, but what's the use? Too many in the general public think this is "cool", and too many in the food business think this sort of event will draw in a crowd. The food businesses may think twice about it the next time somebody drops dead during the event.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:17 am

Stuff that grosses me out 424529_524268610954536_951588402_n

If you eat the Battleship in under 9 mins, you get the t-shirt and we comp the meal.

HOW DO I SIGN UP?

Head over to Portside Grille any time between the gates opening and the bottom of the 3rd inning.

Tell a crew member “I want to challenge The Battleship!”

Pay for The Battleship.

Return to the “Dock” at the top of the 4th inning to begin the challenge.

WHERE & WHEN DO I SIGN UP?

Portside Grille – between the opening of our gates and the bottom of the 3rd inning.

Are you going to take The Battleship plunge or will you walk the plank ... ? WAHOO!!
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 7:45 am

Pensacola Blue Wahoos Hi John Thomas - the Battleship is $30 and can be purchased at the Portside Grille.

Damn!!!! Only 30 dollars?
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:02 am

How about a 7 dollar Hot Dog?
hot dog on a hoagie bun with pickled cabbage, horseradish cream and crispy fried onions. Available at both Grill Carts in Left & Right Field for only $7!
Stuff that grosses me out 296237_526539744060756_1730428473_n
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:15 am

So Mr. Studer, the icon of health care who is now helping Sacred Heart Hospital improve their system, not only allows this type of overeating but also promotes it. He should know better. As I wrote before, just wait until one of the Blue Wahoos patrons dies from aspirating a piece of meat or bun from that sandwich, or, in the worse case scenario, chokes on a piece of it and dies on the spot.

This is sad, and a very stupid business move on the part of the Wahoos and the Portside Grille at the park.

Last edited by Melissa (PB) on Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:21 am

Here is a link to an article published in 2009 that lists deaths from eating contests:

http://eatfeats.com/updated-list-of-eating-drinking-contest-deaths.html
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:25 am

And another article from 2011:

"Stuffing yourself to death took on new meaning in a Ukrainian dumpling-eating contest earlier this week.

Ivan Mendel, a 77-year-old man, ate 10 dumplings in 30 seconds to win first place and a one-liter jar full of sour cream on September 18 - and died just a few hours after being crowned champion, according to MSNBC.com"

More........
http://news.yahoo.com/ukrainian-man-dies-dumpling-eating-contest-153500087.html
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 10:58 am

I just want one fat ribeye... and maybe a baked potato.

Izzat too much to ask?

I'm just wondering why more stomachs don't just split wide open from such competitive eating. A liter of sour cream??? Yuk!
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:45 am

Seriously, Eric, stomach rupture is not an uncommon consequence of competitive eating.

I know I went on my soapbox yesterday, but it is just beyond stupid! Any business that promotes competitive eating deserves to be sued. Dammit. I've never attended one of those events, but I'll bet contestants have to sign a waiver prior to chowing down. I'll bet that waiver wouldn't stand up in court, either.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 12:02 pm

Melissa (PB) wrote:
So Mr. Studer, the icon of health care who is now helping Sacred Heart Hospital improve their system, not only allows this type of overeating but also promotes it. He should know better. As I wrote before, just wait until one of the Blue Wahoos patrons dies from aspirating a piece of meat or bun from that sandwich, or, in the worse case scenario, chokes on a piece of it and dies on the spot.

This is sad, and a very stupid business move on the part of the Wahoos and the Portside Grille at the park.
cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Writlarge

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 6:56 pm

It really is sickening. I never really understood it, but I also don't understand the Food Network either.

Food Network. We have a 24/7 food channel. Anybody else find that the least bit silly?

Now, the 24/7 golf channel makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stuff that grosses me out   Stuff that grosses me out Empty

Back to top Go down

Stuff that grosses me out
Page 1 of 1