Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved Empty
PostSubject: John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved   John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 8:10 am

Good article:

"Sen. John McCain, who built a potent political career on his record as a Vietnam veteran and ex-prisoner of war, on Tuesday told the leaders of every military branch he cannot in good conscience advise women to join the service as the military grapples to contain and curb its sexual assault epidemic.

"Just last night, a woman came to me and said her daughter wanted to join the military and could I give my unqualified support for her doing so. I could not," McCain, an Arizona Republican, said during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing examining whether all serious sexual crimes should be removed from the chain of command. "

More.......
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/06/04/18729878-john-mccain-women-should-avoid-military-service-until-sexual-misconduct-crisis-solved?lite
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com

John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved Empty
PostSubject: Re: John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved   John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:10 am

It's a bold thing for him to say. Just from what I have read, I would have to agree with him.

But I think in the military, this issue is not so easy. You have young people in close quarters and flirtations--and more--happen. I don't think there is any doing away with this kind of thing. And then if consensual contact is illegal (a superior and a subordinate have a relationship), and they get caught, it's easy for one party to claim they were forced or harassed. I do think this goes on in the military and I wonder how many of the sexual harassment complaints or even sexual assault cases are actually consensual relationships gone bad?

I do not want to seem to suggest that sexual assault in the military is not a serious issue. Sexual assault is a horrible crime. It does happen in the military and those who are guilty should be punished to the full extent of military law. There is NO excuse to force anyone into any kind of sexual situation or sexual act. Period. It needs to be taken seriously in the military and the guilty need to be brought to justice.

And for God's sake, do NOT let anyone into the military who's been convicted of a sex crime! This is just insanity! This was mentioned in the article that there is not enough screening for this. A sex crime conviction should be at the top of the "not qualified to enlist" list.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved   John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 9:54 am

One issue this article doesn't directly address is male on male sexual assault. I was astonished to learn that 40% of the sexual assaults reported last year alone were male on male.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved   John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:05 am

Melissa (PB) wrote:
One issue this article doesn't directly address is male on male sexual assault. I was astonished to learn that 40% of the sexual assaults reported last year alone were male on male.

That number is astounding - male on male.

McCain sounds like he found a reason to keep women out of the military. Granted, I am shooting from the hip, here. Just my 2¢.

I have read that our military women do a great job in communicating with Muslim women... something that absolutely is forbidden with our serviceMEN over there.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved   John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 10:20 am

LOL, Eric. Good point. But has McCain been against women in the military? I don't know that he has. But I have said before and still believe that not all jobs should be open to women. That's just my outdated, old fashioned opinion.

Part of the problem is that women are serving in positions that they weren't in 20 years ago. NO, that is not an excuse for any kind of sexual assault, but it makes more opportunities for rapists/abusers to commit their crimes. (if this were that "other" forum, someone would twist my words and say that I am saying that women "ask" for it...and I am NOT saying that!)

Yes, the 40% male rate of abuse is interesting. Of course, the military still is majority male, so maybe that explains it.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved   John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 1:02 pm

Here's an article I read a couple of weeks ago about military sexual trauma:

Male Rape Survivors Tackle Military Assault in Tough Guy Culture
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/16/18301723-male-rape-survivors-tackle-military-assault-in-tough-guy-culture?lite
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved   John McCain:  Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved EmptyWed Jun 05, 2013 3:18 pm

Neko, I completely understand your position and agree with you.

I do not believe that McCain has previously been against women in the military. Considering his service, personal experiences and his strong military stance from a political standpoint, I admire that he came forward to say that he could not at this time recommend that a woman join up... I gained a good bit of respect for him today.
Back to top Go down

John McCain: Women should avoid military service until sexual misconduct crisis solved
Page 1 of 1