Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.

Go down 
+3
yelladawg
Eric
BobW
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. Empty
PostSubject: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:02 am

A couple of friends and I decided to grill steaks. We all picked up our own steaks. One of them, a longtime local greek friend whose clan has always been in the local restaurant business suggested it to me. Said go to Winn Dixie and get a porterhouse that's on sale right now.
All we did before grilling them was salt and pepper them, nothing else. No tenderizer no nothing.
I cannot remember ever having a steak with a better flavor to it.
No more ribeyes for me.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:24 am

Yeah, right.

Bob, you're so full of it.

You're too cheap to buy regular-priced porterhouses or rib-eyes. You'll go back to your chuck-eyes.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 am

I'm slowly learning the error of some of my cheapskate ways, Eric. At least when it comes to buying quality. But even though I've now switched to quality, I still only want quality when it's on sale. lol

But no more chuck eyes for me. I'm headed to Winn Dixie right now to get some more of those porterhouses to put in the freezer while they're on sale.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:42 am

BobW wrote:

I'm slowly learning the error of some of my cheapskate ways, Eric. At least when it comes to buying quality. But even though I've now switched to quality, I still only want quality when it's on sale. lol

But no more chuck eyes for me. I'm headed to Winn Dixie right now to get some more of those porterhouses to put in the freezer while they're on sale.

Bring some over this weekend and we'll split the cost with you. It ought to be a good night to sit out by the chimnea and listen to music.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:16 am

Eric wrote:

Bring some over this weekend and we'll split the cost with you. It ought to be a good night to sit out by the chimnea and listen to music.
Sounds like a plan to me. On sale at a pretty good discount. PLUS they gave me another $5 off $55 with the coupon.
And at that price they taste even better.

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. Steaks10

Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 pm

Bob, if you like it go for it. My personal experience with steak though is that you pay for what you get. Like a Cadillac compared to a Ford. Hell, ol' Eric could probably grill up a damn good tasting combat boot. lol
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 1:42 pm

Well, Bob, it's been 32 years since I had a steak and I'm never going back either Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
Ghost Rider
Admin
Ghost Rider

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. T-port12

One of these steaks is an 18 oz T-Bone and the other is a 24 oz Porterhouse. Hard to tell the difference and in my opinion the only difference is the price. For taste, if marinated and cooked properly I cannot tell the difference in taste.

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 3:55 pm

There really isn't any difference, except the filet is larger on the Porterhouse.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:20 pm

The best steak I ever tasted was at the Cracker Barrel on I-10 and Pine Forest Rd. It was that 1 in a million pieces of steak that I'll never find again. It was just a sirloin, but it was perfect..
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:58 pm

yelladawg wrote:
Bob, if you like it go for it. My personal experience with steak though is that you pay for what you get. Like a Cadillac compared to a Ford. Hell, ol' Eric could probably grill up a damn good tasting combat boot. lol

Agreed, yellerfeller. I have been known to be pretty damn chintzy, but food is something that I do not cut corners on, particularly not produce, meat or dairy... EVER.

I've always been a big fan of a rib eye... great cut, usually awesome marbling, etc., etc., but they're generally too big for me to eat in one or even two sittings, but all the better for leftovers! I'll have to try a Porterhouse... I cannot recall having ever tried one.

My favorite cut is a Filet Mignon, thick cut, cooked "black and blue" style, which means to set the steak on an EXTREMELY HOT grill (over 500-deg... I go w/600+) and sear it quickly, flip it over and do the same, resulting in a steak that is not burnt/charred, but SEARED perfectly and extremely rare in the middle... cold, actually (around 70-deg F). But I would hand-pick these steaks from our best local butcher, or better yet get a couple from one of my local rancher friends.
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:50 pm

riceme wrote:
yelladawg wrote:

Agreed, yellerfeller. I have been known to be pretty damn chintzy, but food is something that I do not cut corners on, particularly not produce, meat or dairy... EVER.

I've always been a big fan of a rib eye... great cut, usually awesome marbling, etc., etc., but they're generally too big for me to eat in one or even two sittings, but all the better for leftovers! I'll have to try a Porterhouse... I cannot recall having ever tried one.

My favorite cut is a Filet Mignon, thick cut, cooked "black and blue" style, which means to set the steak on an EXTREMELY HOT grill (over 500-deg... I go w/600+) and sear it quickly, flip it over and do the same, resulting in a steak that is not burnt/charred, but SEARED perfectly and extremely rare in the middle... cold, actually (around 70-deg F). But I would hand-pick these steaks from our best local butcher, or better yet get a couple from one of my local rancher friends.

The porterhouse is located closer to the head of the beef and usually has a bigger loin as Eric just said. Lord. I'm really hungry for steak.
The City Grocery in East Hill has the best steaks in this town. Tell Michael what you want and he will cut for you.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm kinda partial to a rib-eye with a large Deckle. IMHO, there is no better tasting piece of meat than a Deckle.

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. Ribeye10
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Wouldn't you just know it. We get all excited about eating steaks and tonight on the damn evening news they tell us about even more cooties in them ruining our health.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/51472670/#51472670
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:11 pm

Gotta die of something, Bob.
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 8:51 pm

BobW wrote:
Wouldn't you just know it. We get all excited about eating steaks and tonight on the damn evening news they tell us about even more cooties in them ruining our health.

http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/51472670/#51472670

Dem cooties dey be all cooked so you jus by God eat 'em up, Bob, and don'r be frettin' yo ass off about 'em neither.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 pm

yelladawg wrote:

Dem cooties dey be all cooked so you jus by God eat 'em up, Bob, and don'r be frettin' yo ass off about 'em neither.

I 'm inclined to take that advice, yella. I've been eating steaks for 55 years. And before that, when the grownups ate steaks they fed me Castleberry's canned pork bbq sandwiches which likely had even more cooties in it than the steaks.
And I'm still here to tell about it.
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Back in the day, my Dad and my uncle bought big ole tender filet mignons from Big Lee's butcher shop in East Pensacola Heights. Man was that good eatin.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 9:28 pm

I have a hankering to cook up Beef Wellington. I only had it once and it was at a fancy banquet cooked for a lot of people. It was good, but I bet I could do better.

This recipe has over 200 reviews and it is still 5 stars. It has got to be good.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/the-ultimate-beef-wellington-recipe2/index.html
Back to top Go down
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. EmptyTue Apr 09, 2013 6:16 am

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. Tumblr_mcw2dwT75L1rjkrcjo1_1280
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.   Last night I had the best steak I've ever had.  I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever.  I'll never go back. Empty

Back to top Go down

Last night I had the best steak I've ever had. I've now switched from ribeye to porterhouse forever. I'll never go back.
Page 1 of 1