Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Is this gramatically correct?

Go down 
+2
Eric
BobW
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BobW

BobW

Is this gramatically correct? Empty
PostSubject: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:58 am

This is the Executive Editor of the News Journal writing in an opinion piece in today's paper...

"And sometimes we do reject video, as we did several years ago with video regarding the Billingses’ murder case."

Is it correct to be written Billingses'. Or should it be Billings'.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 8:27 am

I believe it should be Billings'.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 9:09 am

Eric wrote:
I believe it should be Billings'.

That's what I thought too. But if you and I are correct it astounds me that the executive editor of the newspaper and whoever is tasked with proofreading his material don't know that.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 10:23 am

It is correct either way.....Billings' (showing ownership). Billingses’ is not necessary but it isn't considered incorrect.

The Jones' dog ran away. I'm going to see the Joneses. These are correct.
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Say a Hospital has a Billing Department. A mail clerk is sorting incoming mail. He throws a letter into a box entitled RECORDS. Somebody else grabs it and says, "No.this goes to BILLINGS and throws it into a box entitled BILLINGS. What is that?" someone says,"Its the billings for the Billings, the Billinges bills."

In this case it is necessary to say Billingses rather than Billings'.
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
BobW

BobW

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 pm

yelladawg wrote:
Say a Hospital has a Billing Department. A mail clerk is sorting incoming mail. He throws a letter into a box entitled RECORDS. Somebody else grabs it and says, "No.this goes to BILLINGS and throws it into a box entitled BILLINGS. What is that?" someone says,"Its the billings for the Billings, the Billinges bills."

yella, I think you just found a fly in grammarses' ointment. lol
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 4:48 pm

yelladawg wrote:

cheers
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 6:06 pm

BobW wrote:
This is the Executive Editor of the News Journal writing in an opinion piece in today's paper...

"And sometimes we do reject video, as we did several years ago with video regarding the Billingses’ murder case."

Is it correct to be written Billingses'. Or should it be Billings'.

Aside from the poor wordsmithing, I am in agreement that it should be stated as "Billings'." As Joani mentioned both are considered acceptable (I believe based on whether you use MLA or other writing style grammar rules), but I threw the sentence into Microsoft Word 2007 as well as a couple online grammar check website and all three caught it as a grammatical error, suggesting change to "Billings'."
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptySun Apr 07, 2013 6:07 pm

yelladawg wrote:

Ditto Joani's response: cheers
Back to top Go down
SheSurfs

SheSurfs

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Yes, Joneses' is ok.

That said. I am glad to see some interest in the king's English. I think parents and do kids a disservice by not correcting their grammar. Nothing makes me cringe more than to get correspondence from teachers with spelling and grammatical errors.

Pet peeves:

Where's it AT? Force kids to eliminate the contraction and ask "Where is it?" and they almost always drop the "at".

Spelling definitely, definiately, when it is a statement of how finite something is.

Formally referring to a group that includes women as, "You guys".

Clearly, I am getting old Rolling Eyes .

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 4:30 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Pet peeves:

I'm guilty of that... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:08 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Yes, Joneses' is ok.

That said. I am glad to see some interest in the king's English. I think parents and do kids a disservice by not correcting their grammar. Nothing makes me cringe more than to get correspondence from teachers with spelling and grammatical errors.

Pet peeves:

Where's it AT? Force kids to eliminate the contraction and ask "Where is it?" and they almost always drop the "at".

Spelling definitely, definiately, when it is a statement of how finite something is.

You're right, SS. This subject popped into my mind as I was NOT sleeping (darned insomnia!) and as it was used as a plural possessive, Billingses' would in fact be correct.

"You guys" irritates me too and I use "you all" instead as it in not gender-specific.
Back to top Go down
yelladawg

yelladawg

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? EmptyMon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 pm

SheSurfs wrote:
Yes, Joneses' is ok.

Pet peeves:

The reason I think Billings'es and Jones'es is okay is because the there is no way o pronounce an apostrophe. The words that are apostrophed are for text.
Back to top Go down
http://warpedninblue.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is this gramatically correct?   Is this gramatically correct? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this gramatically correct?
Page 1 of 1