Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug Empty
PostSubject: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 9:39 am

TAMPA (FOX 13) - As far as bugs go, caterpillars are usually pretty tame – except for one.

It's a fat, furry caterpillar that is popping up in trees across Florida, and it's known as the "puss caterpillar," or Megalopyge opercularis.

But whatever you do, do not touch this bug. Stay away from it, scientists say.

Its fur is actually covered in venom. Doctors from the University of Florida say the second you touch this caterpillar you feel instant, intense pain.

The pain is worse than a bee, jellyfish, or scorpion, and it can also cause vomiting and convulsions.

Doctors say be aware of them while working outdoors because they are known to fall out of trees.
http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/26437401/florida-scientists-dont-touch-this-bug

WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug 4653399_G
WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug 4653404_G

I'm sorry. Ive been in FL all my life and never seen one of these. Have ya'll?
Back to top Go down
TEOTWAWKI

TEOTWAWKI

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 10:04 am

Probably brought here by illegals....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 10:05 am

Sounds lovely.

Thanks for the heads-up.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 10:06 am

TEOTWAWKI wrote:
Probably brought here by illegals....

Illegals without jobs and on the government teat.  (That'll get Jake interested, lol.)
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 10:09 am

its looks like something out of a science fiction movie affraid

a mix breed between chubaka and the alien............................
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 11:42 am

I just read this in the news and was going to post it... you beat me to it, Chrissy. Crazy, huh??
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 12:51 pm

The catapillars have been here for years, but NOT getting the benefits paid for by the taxpaying citizens..
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 1:21 pm

LOL I dont think they smuggled them in their pants...I remember some fuzzy caterpillars that used to stink the hell out of you. You did not touch them but once...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 1:28 pm

hallmarkgrad wrote:
LOL  I dont think they smuggled them in their pants...I remember some fuzzy caterpillars that used to stink the hell out of you.  You did not touch them but once...

HG, that wasn't a caterpillar. that was the parental control undies of all the little girls back when you were little boy. Funny how our memories get tangled as we get older. Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug   WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug Empty

Back to top Go down

WTH. Florida scientists: Don't touch this bug
Page 1 of 1