Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

HBO using true blood series to wage war on women

Go down 
+2
Eric
Joanimaroni
6 posters
AuthorMessage

HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  Empty
PostSubject: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 7:59 pm

While HBO's Award winning "True Blood" a popular vampire drama has had a long-running narrative with the bad guys cast as southern conservative politicians, last night's episode took it a step farther, calling Ted Cruz supporters a**holes and offensively referring to conservative woman in eveningware as "republic**ts"

When two of the main characters, vampires Eric Northman and Pam De Beaufort, are planning to crash a fictional fundraiser for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) held at the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas they are warned “They only let in a**holes.”

While dressing for the event in cowboy hats and Western evening attire Pam De Beaufort says "Oh my God I'm a republic**t"

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/07/22/Sarah-Palin-Drives-Stake-Through-Heart-of-True-Blood-Producers

I'll be canceling my subscription tomorrow.

Should we consider this a political tv ad?
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 8:03 pm

I won't watch those kind of movies.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 8:54 pm

Sounds like trash.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyWed Jul 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Any questions why I won't pay for cable tv?
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 4:50 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
While HBO's Award winning "True Blood" a popular vampire drama has had a long-running narrative with the bad guys cast as southern conservative politicians, last night's episode took it a step farther, calling Ted Cruz supporters a**holes and offensively referring to conservative woman in eveningware as "republic**ts"

When two of the main characters, vampires Eric Northman and Pam De Beaufort, are planning to crash a fictional fundraiser for Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) held at the George W. Bush Presidential Center in Dallas they are warned “They only let in a**holes.”

While dressing for the event in cowboy hats and Western evening attire Pam De Beaufort says "Oh my God I'm a republic**t"

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2014/07/22/Sarah-Palin-Drives-Stake-Through-Heart-of-True-Blood-Producers

I'll be canceling my subscription tomorrow.

Should we consider this a political tv ad?

For all the crap she takes about being 'stupid'....Sarah Palin was smart enough to see through the hoax and decline an invitation to appear on that series...
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 8:42 am

HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  Nq140724
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 8:46 am

I have to admit that I watch some of that stupid stuff.

Why? I'd rather watch guys catching crab off Alaska, or guys catching alligators than watch some campy sitcom with canned laughter.

That way, I can have it going while browsing with my laptop while hearing Troy Landry cry "Shoot 'em", lol.
Back to top Go down
polecat

polecat

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 3:26 pm

What does any of this have to do with waging war on women?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Who knows?  I didn't start the thread, lol.

How about it, Tree?

We tend to go down a lot of rabbit trails here.  Sometimes, we even get back on topic...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyThu Jul 24, 2014 4:41 pm

polecat wrote:

I'm not sure if you've seen the scene? But it goes like this. They want to sneak into a repub conv. So the woman dresses up like a professional woman and then says, look, I look like a republic**t.

This is a very popular program with young adults. That scene firstly defines republicans as professional women, not a bad thing, but it goes further and then degenerates professional looking women as c**ts.  

Pop culture does shape society and how we view things. As a whole this is negative towards women because it spins looking professional into a bad thing. And having young women associate looking professional as a negative is harmful to women as a group.

Hope that explains.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 5:01 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
polecat wrote:

I'm not sure if you've seen the scene? But it goes like this. They want to sneak into a repub conv. So the woman dresses up like a professional woman and then says, look, I look like a republic**t.

This is a very popular program with young adults. That scene firstly defines republicans as professional women, not a bad thing, but it goes further and then degenerates professional looking women as c**ts.  

Pop culture does shape society and how we view things. As a whole this is negative towards women because it spins looking professional into a bad thing. And having young women associate looking professional as a negative is harmful to women as a group.

Hope that explains.

There is no excuse for how the show portrayed anyone... but it was a swipe not at all  women...it was directly at republican/conservative women....which as 'tree' has pointed out makes it acceptable in today's pop culture...

Remember there was a scene in another series that had Bush's head on the end of a spear?... There was some/little criticism but the Hollywood elitists covered it by explaining that it was entertainment and creativity....

Then there was a scene in which the evil devil  figure was said to look like the cowh.... the entertainment/creativity argument went right out the window and the left was outraged... The scene was called everything from disrespectful to racist...

Sadly there are cases like this from movies to sitcoms and cheap shots are taken all the time... That's why they make remotes...Further if every conservative/republican stopped watching any tv show....movie... and stopped listening to any music that was critical towards republicans/conservatives....there would be VERY limited viewing and listening options...
Back to top Go down
polecat

polecat

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 11:13 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
polecat wrote:

Hope that explains.

OK I do not have HBO but I did watch the scene and I did not see her portraying all professional women as DELETED just the ones that are DELETED , Ann Coulter  comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 11:16 am

This isn't a game to see how close you can get to a banned word. Please refrain from such obvious spelling.
Back to top Go down
polecat

polecat

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 1:25 pm

Eric wrote:
This isn't a game to see how close you can get to a banned word.  Please refrain from such obvious spelling.

Did you just slap the back of my hand...LOL
that was a plus sign but when I said Ann Coulter you knew what I was talking about right?
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 3:47 pm

polecat wrote:
Eric wrote:
This isn't a game to see how close you can get to a banned word.  Please refrain from such obvious spelling.

Did you just slap the back of my hand...LOL
that was a plus sign but when I said Ann Coulter you knew what I was talking about right?

All I care about is that a + looks like a t.

The "C" word is a very offensive word to women especially, and it looked very much like the word with a plus sign.

About Ann Coulter, no, I don't know what you're referring to. I'm not much into politics. Not my bag.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyFri Jul 25, 2014 4:47 pm

polecat wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:
polecat wrote:

Hope that explains.

OK I do not have HBO but I did watch the scene and I did not see her portraying all professional women as DELETED just the ones that are DELETED , Ann Coulter  comes to mind.

well then I don't know what to tell you then.

Young women seeing that who may not be so entrenched in politics will certainly view a professional looking woman as a republic**t now. Not all, but some will because it is well known that pop culture shapes society as Ive said.

Its not ok, and negatively associates something which should be positive, ( the way they portrayed republican women as professionals ) with that word.

If you don't get it, I cant help it.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptySat Jul 26, 2014 9:48 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
polecat wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:
polecat wrote:

Hope that explains.

well then I don't know what to tell you then.

Young women seeing that who may not be so entrenched in politics will certainly view a professional looking woman as a republic**t now. Not all, but some will because it is well known that pop culture shapes society as Ive said.

Its not ok, and negatively associates something which should be positive, ( the way they portrayed republican women as professionals ) with that word.

If you don't get it, I cant help it.

Agree.... Normally it's done not in such an obvious manner....
Back to top Go down
polecat

polecat

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 12:08 pm

Sorry
did not mean to give yall the Vapors.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 12:13 pm

Polecat, I should have remembered what was posted and answered your query. But I am so scatterbrained sometimes that I can't see the forest for the trees.

I had to look up "the vapors"... duh.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 5:48 pm

Hey Eric lol trees are part of the forest too lololol

Anyway, no vapors here. I called my cable company like I said and tried to cancel and ended up getting offered a deal to where I will save $40 a month now. Whhohjooo

I recommend any to give it a shot. Smile
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyMon Jul 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Eric wrote:
Polecat, I should have remembered what was posted and answered your query.  But I am so scatterbrained sometimes that I can't see the forest for the trees.

That was not very southern of you, E... for shame!  Wink 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 7:18 pm

riceme wrote:
Eric wrote:
Polecat, I should have remembered what was posted and answered your query.  But I am so scatterbrained sometimes that I can't see the forest for the trees.

That was not very southern of you, E... for shame!  Wink 

Knowing Eric, he probably thought it was a 60's rock band LOL
Back to top Go down
wilburforce

wilburforce

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 7:58 pm

Here is the scene from the series. IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THE C WORD PLEASE DON'T LOOK. BTW the woman is hot. Don't know how a vampire can see her reflection in a mirror.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaL97UJEEb4
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HBO using true blood series to wage war on women    HBO using true blood series to wage war on women  Empty

Back to top Go down

HBO using true blood series to wage war on women
Page 1 of 1