Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Am I alone?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Am I alone? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Otter wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:
Otter wrote:
FYI my kids aren't druggies. Theey are alln their 30,s now but like a large number of people in their generation, they tried some drugs back in their teen years .  At least a couple of them did. I'm not ashamed to say that because after trying them they had the good sense not to continue.A lot of parents believe their kids never smoked weed because their adult children would still be afraid to tell them-mine weren't  and aren't. That is the point I was making. It's because they can  talk to us as friends and not as Judgmental parents that will lecture them.Yes. I understand the statement was humorous but I found nothing in it that I agree with.If that bothers anyone I just have to say sorry about that. As I said my kids appreciate my trust in their decision making processes.

I hate to tell you this.

But your kids do not view you as a friend. You are deluding yourself.

Then they are lying because they tell me they do.   And I don't believe you know either me or my kids.

I viewed my father as my friend. It's a tragedy of life that my mother never let any of her children view her as anything but the "judge."  My father knew when to butt out.

Please try not to make statements about things you cannot possibly know.

Its just a fact that no matter what you or them say, you or me or any parent will always be the parents.

You are disconcerted into thinking you re like a friend to your children. Its impossible.

This does not mean you dont have a good relationship with them. I do mine and we have done things that are "friend" like

I went to a bull riding bar with my daughter, guess what, that was her mom riding that bull she shouted.

I think you are confusing a good relationship with your children as being their friend. But somehow disconnecting that you are no longer their parent.

You seem to view parents in a negative light. Im not sure why.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 12:57 pm

*~Tree~* wrote:
Otter wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:
Otter wrote:
FYI my kids aren't druggies. Theey are alln their 30,s now but like a large number of people in their generation, they tried some drugs back in their teen years .  At least a couple of them did. I'm not ashamed to say that because after trying them they had the good sense not to continue.A lot of parents believe their kids never smoked weed because their adult children would still be afraid to tell them-mine weren't  and aren't. That is the point I was making. It's because they can  talk to us as friends and not as Judgmental parents that will lecture them.Yes. I understand the statement was humorous but I found nothing in it that I agree with.If that bothers anyone I just have to say sorry about that. As I said my kids appreciate my trust in their decision making processes.

I hate to tell you this.

But your kids do not view you as a friend. You are deluding yourself.

Then they are lying because they tell me they do.   And I don't believe you know either me or my kids.

I viewed my father as my friend. It's a tragedy of life that my mother never let any of her children view her as anything but the "judge."  My father knew when to butt out.

Please try not to make statements about things you cannot possibly know.

Its just a fact that no matter what you or them say, you or me or any parent will always be the parents.

You are disconcerted into thinking you re like a friend to your children. Its impossible.

This does not mean you dont have a good relationship with them. I do mine and we have done things that are "friend" like

I went to a bull riding bar with my daughter, guess what, that was her mom riding that bull she shouted.

I think you are confusing a good relationship with your children as being their friend. But somehow disconnecting that you are no longer their parent.

You seem to view parents in a negative light. Im not sure why.

You are making assumptions about things you cannot know- assumptions about how other people cannot or can think about their parents.  My father was my father, of course, but when I grew up he treated me with the respect he would treat a friend. That meant not telling me what I should or should not do. And I viewed him as my friend because that is the way he treated me. WITH THE SAME RESPECT YOU SHOW FOR ANY OTHER ADULT. The woman in the article cannot be friends with her kids because she won't treat them as adults and AS HER EQUAL insofar as their rights to make decisions. She would not lecture a friend outside the family about what they do if she wanted to keep their friendship. I'm suspecting this is an argument just for the sake of an argument you are making because you continue to make assumptions about how others are capable of feeling, when you obviously do not know the people involved.
So I'm not really inclined to continue arguing it with youl

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 1:07 pm

Theres no argument

It's just a fact

Parents are not the same as friends

So many reasons why

You can end a friendship

You can't stop being a parent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Well maybe some people can sto being a parent

I don't think that much about that

Seems a little wrong to me
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 1:52 pm

You have a real good afternoon tree. I'm spending mine with two of my best friends who happen to also be my daughter and son-in-law.

Please enjoy your day.
I know I will mine.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 2:21 pm

What woman in the article? This was meant to be a humorous thread not a thread where someone feels the need to defend their parenting.

Sorry I started the thread!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 27, 2014 2:23 pm

You too cat.

Trust me, my day has been enjoyed.

Thank you for the conversation. Smile

Hugs

Chrissy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Am I alone?   Am I alone? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Am I alone?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2