Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees

Go down 
+6
Eric
Melissa
Jake92
mediawatcher
nochain
riceme
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
nochain

nochain

Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 3:51 pm

Otter wrote:
nochain wrote:
Otter wrote:
Have I offered to provide a home for one of the refugees?

Nobody has asked but I would certainly think about it.

I know you hate that word but there it is; probably doesn't stand a chance though - and not just because of R's.

Texas lawmakers unveil bipartisan fix to child immigrant crisis at border

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/07/15/texas-lawmakers-unveil-bipartisan-fix-to-child-immigrant-crisis-at-border/

That's nothing but an effort to get rid of the kids quicker before they can build a decent legal case for staying.

And I don't hate the word bipartisan. It's just that it does not exist anymore in Congress. It will probably be the overwhelming Hispanic vote that will be responsible for some of the change.

Oblamer wants to get rid of them quicker too. Pelosi has even signaled it's necessary.

If LEGAL CITIZENS of hispanic descent can effect change in this loser Congress I'm all for it. Unlike you I think both parties have failed miserably in the Congress. But then I'm open minded and not welded to party lines.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 4:27 pm

Otter wrote:
Here's where I might differ with you Eric. No, I don't think they should cross the border and ask for a welfare check either. But I do believe that decent healthcare is a human rights issue. And I don't mind my taxes going to help pay for an illegal immigrant's healthcare.
As for learning to speak English, Spanish is a beautiful language but since I know that Hispanic kids are learning English in our schools every day, and are working hard to get decent jobs and educations, I'm not worried one bit about their not learning English.  Every group that has assimilated into America so far, Greeks, Germans and most Vietnamese have learned English. And I say most Vietnamese because that is a particular culture that seems to want to hold tightly to their language, but you don't hear a lot of Americans complaining about it. Their young people learn English in school but the older people refuse to speak English at home. Whether you realize it or not, the problem with learning English is much less with hispanic immigrants than it is with some Asian immigrants. Of course, it is more difficult for Asians to learn English than it is for Hispanics because of the common origins of English and Spanish. That could have something to do with it.

I know that there are limited areas where Asian languages are spoken (Chinatown for instance) and Italian in Little Italy, but you go to South Florida and Spanish is the dominant language over a wide area.

Miami's Spanish-Speaking Population Outnumber English Speakers

Thankfully, I took a couple of years of Spanish in High School. That was over 40 years ago, though. I certainly am not fluent, lol.
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Eric wrote:
I'm glad you're happy with yourself, Otter.

Not making fun of you.

I have respect for immigrants that come here, work hard, do things lazy Americans don't want to do.

Two things I don't like... like Jake has said so many times, they shouldn't expect to be cared for or be eligible for benefits that Americans have paid for... and they need to learn to speak English.

I agree. And we all know the truth. well most of us.

Facts are when talking about down south Florida, Its practically a requirement to speak Spanish. And they have a deficit of qualified people in technical jobs because of it.

I don't think it is asking too much to have LEGAL immigration to where those people need to respect this countries laws, cultures and learn English etc. Not saying they can not have their own culture, just that I see so many who are out waving another countries flag or expect that we need to know Spanish to tend to their needs, no speeky engrish.

The borders need to be closed up tight. We can not handle this influx. Sorry. It would be great to wave a magic wand and save the world by inviting them all here. But the truth is, they need to return to their nation and fight to build it like our forefathers did.

I don't particularly want to live in a shared misery country.
Back to top Go down
Melissa
Admin
Melissa

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 5:28 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
Melissa wrote:
I don't think Otter has any puppet masters, unless perhaps it's Pepper.  cheers

I know our Budster is a master puppet master!

LOL I suppose so. I admit mine is a little bit of a puppet master herself.  Razz 

How do you feel about this PB?

open borders or legal immigration?

FYI, let me reiterate, I know we have to take care of these small children who are by themselves. But still send them back.

otter tried the brown skin tactic on me and I don't buy it. Otter should know that those people coming up from way down there are about the same color as me lol

Tree, this is the Budster, AKA Buddy, AKA Sergeant Boudreaux. Mommy says your doggy should come and join us on Pee Wee's thread. We're under the pets section.

And Mommy said to tell you she don't know nuthin' 'bout no stinkin' immy-gration.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ouroasis.forumotion.com
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 6:17 am

nochain wrote:
Otter wrote:
nochain wrote:
Otter wrote:
Have I offered to provide a home for one of the refugees?

Nobody has asked but I would certainly think about it.

I know you hate that word but there it is; probably doesn't stand a chance though - and not just because of R's.

Texas lawmakers unveil bipartisan fix to child immigrant crisis at border

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/07/15/texas-lawmakers-unveil-bipartisan-fix-to-child-immigrant-crisis-at-border/

That's nothing but an effort to get rid of the kids quicker before they can build a decent legal case for staying.

And I don't hate the word bipartisan. It's just that it does not exist anymore in Congress. It will probably be the overwhelming Hispanic vote that will be responsible for some of the change.

Oblamer wants to get rid of them quicker too. Pelosi has even signaled it's necessary.

If LEGAL CITIZENS of hispanic descent can effect change in this loser Congress I'm all for it. Unlike you I think both parties have failed miserably in the Congress. But then I'm open minded and not welded to party lines.

Even if this bipartisan legislation is only a starting point then at least it's a beginning...Did read that Rand Paul and some others have said there will be no immigration legislation in Congress prior to the November elections...which means that Congress will continue to be what it has been a failure...

Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:48 am

The bastards are so worried about reelection that they lost track of why we sent them to Congress.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 8:56 am

Eric wrote:
The bastards are so worried about reelection that they lost track of why we sent them to Congress.

Believe they go into re-election mode immediately after they win... No matter how bad they are it's the voters that send them and re-elect them... In this age of technology there is no excuse for not knowing the voting records and opinions/positions of politicians... There certainly haven't been problems with knowing which ones will continue the entitlement/freebie programs...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 10:26 am

mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:

Believe they go into re-election mode immediately after they win... No matter how bad they are it's the voters that send them and re-elect them... In this age of technology there is no excuse for not knowing the voting records and opinions/positions of politicians... There certainly haven't been problems with knowing which ones will continue the entitlement/freebie programs...

Just turned on CNN this morning and Nancy Pelosi stated that contrary to the articles that have been published she is AGAINST the passage of any amendments to the humanitarian bill that was signed by George W Bush in 2008.
There you go. The dems are showing up as democrats today and not as namby pamby pushovers for the Republican congress. Good for nancy.
These are children just like our children. They are children before they are "illegals" or a "border problem." I've been privileged to know several Hispanic immigrant children and they were all a pleasure to get to know.

I was very happy to hear that Nancy didn't disappoint me.

Yes, Eric, Spanish may be the predominant language in South Florida. I haven't seen the statistics. If I lived in South Florida I'd want to speak Spanish better than I do to know if people were talking about me. I do speak a little but not enough. I don't have any problem with giving American children a good reason to learn a second language. Canadians have been bilingual for years and bilingual populations exist in other countries as well. Any spanish language students who enroll in our school systems will learn English, whether they want to or not. That kind of eliminates the argument of language being used against these kids, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 10:38 am

Does knowing several Hispanic immigrant children equate to 90,000 unaccompanied children crossing the border in one year? How do we support that many children continuing to enter the U.S. without parents? Once legal, do we make them emancipated minors and send them off to fend for themselves?

This is a huge problem and responsibility of epic proportion. These children need to be housed, fed, clothed, and educated.....by the U.S.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 am

Joanimaroni wrote:
Does knowing several Hispanic immigrant children equate to 90,000 unaccompanied children crossing the border in one year?  How do we support that many children continuing to enter the U.S. without parents? Once legal, do we make them emancipated minors and send them off to fend for themselves?

This is a huge problem and responsibility of epic proportion. These children need to be housed, fed, clothed, and educated.....by the U.S.  

Your numbers are way off. There have been 52000 who have entered since last October. Here's the facts:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/07/15/us/questions-about-the-border-kids.html

We support them just like we would American children who have no parents.
With our tax money.
Because they are children and because children are the responsibility of all adults to care for. I don't care what country they come from. Some people are even distressed about the children in Gaza that were killed on the news yesterday. Some people aren't because after all, they aren't Israelis.
It only took knowing  one Mexican boy who spoke NO Spanish and his mother be deported back to Mexico City where they had no family and no history to clue me into caring about the problem. We have several of these families who live just down the street from us, and they are good, hardworking people who only want what we already have. They are willing to earn it. We were all immigrants at some point in our history, except for possibly what the Canadians so rightly call "first nations." That's what our native Americans should be called too if they're given any respect. They aren't "native Americans" because America was not a nation when they were here. They had their own nations.

And if we don't have enough tax money for humanitarian aid, we can cut the heck out of our defense budget.
America has plenty of money. We just don't spend it right.

It's amazing how few complaints there are when people talk about increasing the military budget.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 11:19 am

Otter wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:

Just turned on CNN this morning and Nancy Pelosi stated that contrary to the articles that have been published she is AGAINST the passage of any amendments to the humanitarian bill that was signed by George W Bush in 2008.
There you go. The dems are showing up as democrats today and not as namby pamby pushovers for the Republican congress. Good for nancy.

So Nancy is lying again. No surprise there - typical weather vane politician.

"WASHINGTON — Representative Nancy Pelosi of California, the House Democratic leader, reversed course on Wednesday and said she would not back changes to a 2008 law that gave certain undocumented immigrant children broader legal rights to enter the United States.

Ms. Pelosi had suggested this month that she could accept changes to the Bush-era law that would expedite the deportation of children in exchange for President Obama’s emergency $3.7 billion request to deal with a sudden surge of unaccompanied minors at the border, mainly from Central America."

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/17/us/politics/pelosi-in-reversal-says-she-opposes-speeding-child-deportations-.html?_r=0
Back to top Go down
Joanimaroni

Joanimaroni

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 11:35 am

The government estimates 90,000 will enter the U.S. this year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Lol some people must think our tax money grows on trees

Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 12:04 pm

Otter wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:

These are children just like our children. They are children before they are "illegals" or a "border problem." I've been privileged to know several Hispanic immigrant children and they were all a pleasure to get to know.

Yes, Eric, Spanish may be the predominant language in South Florida. I haven't seen the statistics. If I lived in South Florida I'd want to speak Spanish better than I do to know if people were talking about me. I do speak a little but not enough. I don't have any problem with giving American children a good reason to learn a second language. Canadians have been bilingual for years and bilingual populations exist in other countries as well. Any spanish language students who enroll in our school systems will learn English, whether they want to or not. That kind of eliminates the argument of language being used against these kids, IMO.

You are aware that the intentions of the legislation signed by President Bush was aimed at stopping the sex traffic industry into the United States... That is what his press secretary Dana Perino explained....So Nancy Pelosi was opposed?...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 17, 2014 6:42 pm

Homeless people are angry their not getting free housing food etc

Homeless vets too
Back to top Go down
stormwatch89

stormwatch89

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:38 am

2 more years of Obama and we'll be immigrating there!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 11:15 am

*~Tree~* wrote:

I don't think it grows on trees. I think that if we pulled our troops out of all the countries around the globe and ended this empire we're trying to build that we could afford to take care of all our citizens plus a good many refugees. This is a country of refugees and we've always been proud of that before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 11:18 am

mediawatcher wrote:
Otter wrote:
mediawatcher wrote:
Eric wrote:

You are aware that the intentions of the legislation signed by President Bush was aimed at stopping the sex traffic industry into the United States... That is what his press secretary Dana Perino explained....So Nancy Pelosi was opposed?...

Nancy Pelosi is opposed to amending the bill to say that immigrants should be given a hearing to consider deportation within 7 days. That's the so called "bipartisan" bill that was mentioned earlier. It's not going to pass because Dems in the Senate will not go for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 3:56 pm

Otter wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:

I don't think it grows on trees. I think that if we pulled our troops out of all the countries around the globe and ended this empire we're trying to build that we could afford to take care of all our citizens plus a good many refugees. This is a country of refugees and we've always been proud of that before.

I wonder what people complained about in regards to how our taxes are spent on military before 911? It seems that's the GO TO finger point come back.

My entire life this country has been involved in some sort of military event. And saying if we didn't spend money there we could spend it here means nothing. Its not like they don't spend money we don't have. look at the deficit. That's not all military. its social services.

We still have LEGAL immigration.

Why are you so against LEGAL immigration?

Do you just hate having borders? Where people have to go through a process, we know they are here, they are checked out and we know who they are and they do fine. And that is fine.

It is NOT ok to just have open borders. It really isn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 8:34 pm

*~Tree~* wrote:
Otter wrote:
*~Tree~* wrote:

I wonder what people complained about in regards to how our taxes are spent on military before 911? It seems that's the GO TO finger point come back.

My entire life this country has been involved in some sort of military event. And saying if we didn't spend money there we could spend it here means nothing. Its not like they don't spend money we don't have. look at the deficit. That's not all military. its social services.

We still have LEGAL immigration.

Why are you so against LEGAL immigration?

Do you just hate having borders? Where people have to go through a process, we know they are here, they are checked out and we know who they are and they do fine. And that is fine.

It is NOT ok to just have open borders. It really isn't.

You and I are not ever going to agree on the treatment of the kids crossing the border so we might as well not discuss it. And it is the LAW to house these kids and care for them until the government can decide what to do with them, so the law is being followed- even by the OBAMA administration. It's George Bush's signed piece of legislation that is being carried out exactly as ordered.

By the way, you stated the problem with military spending in your post. You said:

My entire life this country has been involved in some sort of military event.

Did it EVER occur to you that maybe our military being constantly on alert is a problem that does not have to be?That maybe if it were not for the military contractors and the great "military industrial" complex that Eisenhower warned of, we wouldn't be so anxious to spend our taxes all around the globe?

That's your problem. And it's the problem of Americans who accept it as just the normal way of life.
And FYI, I've complained about government overspending on the military for almost 40 years. It didn't start at 911 and in all honestly, 911 shouldn't have had anything to do with military spending. It could have been handled with our intelligence forces and with a good Seal team. In face, in the end that's the way it was handled. We certainly didn't need the two wars we decided to go into because of 911.
Bush and the neocons did exactly the wrong thing with their warmongering. The terrorist problem is larger now than it ever was before we invaded the middle east. And as for that deficit, it's mostly there because Bush never put either of his two wars into the budget. He hid the cost of them - Obama does not. There's the whole difference as far as the deficit goes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 9:33 pm

Bush isn't a neo con but that's another subject

I'm not sure what you mean by treatment of these kids? I've said a few times now we have to tend to them then they need to go back to thier country

Bushes law btw was to stop child trafficking

And if you think this is a bunch of 5 year olds coming across the border Alone you may be vying into the propaganda they want you to.

I'll say it again

I'm not interested in shared misery being installed upon my children to make you feel warm and fuzzy

Feel free to become a missionary and go over and help them build thier country

Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:21 am

They should follow the existing immigration laws, not have new ones passed for them..

Eric, I don't remember saying anything about them speaking English.. My biggest problem is they are NOT following the existing laws to enter legally....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 am

You didn't, Jake.  The need to speak English was my observation.  Your stance on us NOT giving benefits to illegals is what I was referring to when I invoked your name.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 9:37 am

*~Tree~* wrote:
Bush isn't a neo con but that's another subject

I'm not sure what you mean by treatment of these kids? I've said a few times now we have to tend to them then they need to go back to thier country

Bushes law btw was to stop child trafficking

And if you think this is a bunch of 5 year olds coming across the border Alone you may be vying into the propaganda they want you to.

I'll say it again

I'm not interested in shared misery being installed upon my children to make you feel warm and fuzzy

Feel free to become a missionary and go over and help them build thier country

If you read the USA today section of the News-Journal today you will see that YES, there are 5 years olds coming in with these migrants. You'll also see that some Americans mayors and governors, Chris Christie for one, are trying to find housing for the kids in their states because they also realize we are a nation of immigrants and that you cannot turn away a 5 year old child.

Christie said: "We are an empathetic people in this country and we don't like seeing people suffer."
Milwaukee mayor Tom Barret is looking for housing for the kids in his city. He said:"You have to take a step back and say, "We're talking about kids as young as five, What's our role as human beings?"

It's nice to know there are people outside this forum that agree that this country can't be seen as forcing kids back into places where there is a 1 in 15 chance they will be the victim of murder.
The article this morning made me feel better about my country.

And by the way, you're the second person on here who has accused me of not feeling good about myself.
I like me. Don't try to transfer your feelings onto others. It's not an honest response to a question.

And I seriously doubt your children will be "sharing Misery" because some immigrant kids found kindness when they came to our country. If you're talking about deficit spending and taxes, you might have done that when we started spending billions of dollars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 20, 2014 12:32 pm

They are not all 5 year olds although I realize you want to use 5 year olds to gain sympathy for your agenda of open borders

Again for you

It's not the wars that has run up trillions in debt it social services

But I will tell you, if you have some misconception that I'm in favor of wars you would be sorely mistaken I gave up that thought a couple of years ago because I don't believe in PC wars I'm more of a flatten the enemy out or don't bother person
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees   Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Krauthammer: US cannot treat illegal immigrants as refugees
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next