Everyday Pensacola
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Everyday Pensacola

A place to discuss Pensacola, Florida area topics as well as the rest of the nation/world. To write a post, you must register and log in.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

4-H'ers being SCREWED

Go down 
+2
nochain
Eric
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Eric

Eric

4-H'ers being SCREWED Empty
PostSubject: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 5:30 pm

County Set To Approve $1.65 Million Construction Of New 4-H Facility

http://www.northescambia.com/2014/01/county-set-to-approve-1-65-million-construction-of-new-4-h-facility

I knew that the 4-H kids would get stuck on Stefani Road, under the Extension Service's thumb.  What happened to the purchase of the "Similar property" that was promised when they agreed to sell their property off 9-mile road?  

The Stefani Road property is unsuitable... period.  What a rip-off for 4-H'ers!

Read the comments...
Back to top Go down
http://ericericson.net
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptySun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 pm

Lessee, they sell 240 acres and get to use 20 acres on Stefani Road in a semi-residential area.  That sounds like a fair trade, doesn't it?

Also, Navy Federal could have gotten the adjacent OLF in the same manner that Escambia County is acquiring the OLF now.  I suspect the county waited until the dust settled before making negotiations known on the OLF.  They said that the OLF was not available to the Navy Federal expansion and the poor little 4-H kids HAD to sell their property so that more jobs could move to Escambia County.

Yeah, right!

Effing politicians... they suck!
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 7:40 am

I've driven through the old 4-H site and the site on Stefani could NEVER be made equivalent. Yes - they got ripped off.
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 8:19 am

nochain wrote:
I've driven through the old 4-H site and the site on Stefani could NEVER be made equivalent. Yes - they got ripped off.

Another example of the government/politics of Escambia County....but to do that to the 4-H folks is just wrong but there's a harsh life lesson in trusting government to do the right thing or as they promised.....
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyMon Jan 13, 2014 3:02 pm

hey, look at the bright side... at least you all still HAVE 4H and FFA programs. When I moved home from Kansas I found that the programs had been cut due to "budget cuts"... in the heart of California's agricultural industry. 

And yes, I say this with complete and utter disgust for what they did to you all's 4H kids. Just un-freaking-believable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyTue Jan 14, 2014 6:36 pm

My beef with the Navy federal deal is that 9 mile road is the only traffic avenue out there and it's becoming a horror story in the mornings and afternoons. The county wants the jobs but they also need to make 9 mile 4 lanes all the way out to NFCU if they want people to work there. Yes, they cheated the 4-H'ers out of their land, that was going to happen no matter what. When the government wants your property, or for you to have to sell your property, they will find a way to make it happen.
But now that they've already done the dirty deal, they at least need to figure out a way for people to get to all those good paying jobs without the traffic jam they've created on Pine Forest and Nine mile roads.

They were supposed to 4 lane 9 mile years ago and all they did was add turning lanes. Two lanes of traffic and turning lanes every 1/2 miles or so doesn't make a 4 lane highway.
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 7:46 am

Otter wrote:
My beef with the Navy federal deal is that 9 mile road is the only traffic avenue out there and it's becoming a horror story in the mornings and afternoons. The county wants the jobs but they also need to make 9 mile 4 lanes all the way out to NFCU if they want people to work there.  Yes, they cheated the 4-H'ers out of their land, that was going to happen no matter what. When the government wants your property, or for you to have to sell your property, they will find a way to make it happen.  
But now that they've already done the dirty deal, they at least need to figure out a way for people to get to all those good paying jobs without the traffic jam they've created on Pine Forest and Nine mile roads.

They were supposed to 4 lane 9 mile years ago and all they did was add turning lanes. Two lanes of traffic and turning lanes every 1/2 miles or so doesn't make a 4 lane highway.

Unless I'm mistaken the only reason some turn lanes were added at several locations was at the expense of new businesses like Lowes and Home Depot being required to add them. The set backs for 9 mile to I-10 have been in place as far back as I can remember so there really is no reason for it not to be 4-laned.....
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 8:09 am

nochain wrote:
Otter wrote:
My beef with the Navy federal deal is that 9 mile road is the only traffic avenue out there and it's becoming a horror story in the mornings and afternoons. The county wants the jobs but they also need to make 9 mile 4 lanes all the way out to NFCU if they want people to work there.  Yes, they cheated the 4-H'ers out of their land, that was going to happen no matter what. When the government wants your property, or for you to have to sell your property, they will find a way to make it happen.  

Unless I'm mistaken the only reason some turn lanes were added at several locations was at the expense of new businesses like Lowes and Home Depot being required to add them. The set backs for 9 mile to I-10 have been in place as far back as I can remember so there really is no reason for it not to be 4-laned.....

Several years (10-15) ago there was an article in the PNJ that called the Nine Mile Road Areas the true 'Downtown' of Pensacola because of businesses and expansions being planned...Once again a situation was identified in which it was pointed out that the currrent roadway wasn't designed for the traffic now utilizing Nine Mile Road and if that was 10-15 years ago imagine how far behind the area is now...Should have been four lanes a long time ago and now that may not be sufficient...it is and has been the lack of leadership in this county and will remain to be so until there are commissioners elected that can see what is needed...
Back to top Go down
nochain

nochain

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 8:22 am

No mention of 9 mile improvements here:

"Escambia County will see widening of Highway 29 from four to six lanes from Nine Mile Road to I-10. The interchange at Nine Mile Road will be replaced with a “tight urban diamond” and existing ramps will be converted to service roads. Construction is planned for 2016 at a cost of $50.8 million.
The largest single project is the replacement of the Three Mile Bridge on Highway 98 connecting Pensacola and Gulf Breeze. The bridge will cost $595.6 million to build. Construction will begin in two years following acquisition of right of way and environmental permits."

http://www.northescambia.com/2013/02/gaetz-six-lane-widening-for-portion-of-hwy-29-new-bay-bridge
Back to top Go down
mediawatcher

mediawatcher

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 8:32 am

The Breezers won't like that project!...That will be a mess....
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 4:58 pm

The biggest problem I've been seeing for the last 29 years is impolite/impatient drivers, lights not timed correctly, and having to cross over traffic to make a left turn when leaving I-10 or 110.. Cloverleaf interchanges have worked for many years where they are installed.. Look at the difference between the Pine Forest Rd and 29 interchanges with I-10.. 3 lights for Pine Forest Rd/I-10, then another at 9 Mile Rd and none for 29/I-10
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 10:39 am

From NorthEscambia.com
Quote :
The Escambia County Commission decided Thursday to delay action on awarding a construction contract for a new Escambia County 4-H Center located at the Escambia County Extension Office on Stefani Road.

The total cost for the facility will be $1.65 million. The contract was to have been awarded to A.E. New, Jr., Inc. The company was the lowest of 12 companies that bid on the facility.

In 2012, the children and teens on the 4-H County Council voted to sell their 240 acre Langley Bell 4-H Center to Navy Federal Credit Union. Navy Federal paid $3.6 million for the property next to the credit union’s campus in Beulah, and the Escambia County Commission agreed to construct a new 4-H Center on Stefani Road with $1.5 million in local option sales tax (LOST) funds.

The new facility, as designed by Hernandez Calhoun Design International using input from 4-H leadership, has a final price tag $165,000 higher than originally planned. That amount was originally  to be covered by the 4-H Foundation, but the county was set to use additional LOST funds to pick up the difference.
Now, commissioners are going to further study the plan before taking addictional action.
Back to top Go down
Jake92

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 10:46 am

The politicians probably didn't get enough campaign contributions to go forward with construction.. At least they are using a local contractor, not one from out of state.. The commissioners should be able to further study everything in 2-3 days and vote on it by Monday night....
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 11:32 am

I sent this note to each of the County Commissioners. It is like me getting my 2¢ in.

Honorable XXXXXX, Commissioner
Escambia County District X

January 17, 2014

Dear Commissioner XXXXXX,

I have been following the plight of the 4-H Club property sale and replacement infrastructure. I am against building an expensive building on Stefani Road for the following reasons.

The proposed building on Stefani Road is clearly empire-building by the Extension Service. The 4-H'ers deserve better than to be forced to move to a site under the thumb of the Extension Service that is ten times smaller than their former 9-Mile Rd. parcel. In addition to the site being small, this site is not suitable for 4-H activities because homes are nearby.

I implore you to please ignore the recommendation of IFAS and secure the clearly more suitable Bayer Property.

Respectfully submitted,

My name, address and email
Back to top Go down
riceme

riceme

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 11:38 am

Good on you, E.
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 am

Thank you, Ricey.

People don't want to read a wordy rant. I tried to keep it succinct.
Back to top Go down
hallmarkgrad

hallmarkgrad

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Good Job Thanks
Back to top Go down
Eric

Eric

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Commissioner Robinson responds:

Thank you very much. We postponed the building and look forward to commissioner Barry bringing forward land ideas.

Grover
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 4-H'ers being SCREWED   4-H'ers being SCREWED Empty

Back to top Go down

4-H'ers being SCREWED
Page 1 of 1